Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:37:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1840649 times)
Whalestoe
« Reply #6645 on: August 14, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »

In a year where Giant robots have testicles and Cobra is rising there is actually a great sci-fi movie that comes out and even though its shot in a documentry way...........IT HAS STEADYCAM.

thats why.

Hell yeah, going to see it right now!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: August 14, 2009, 11:57:39 AM »

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/ckozlowski/2009/08/14/review-%E2%80%98district-9%E2%80%99-brilliant-and-stupid/

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: August 14, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

He looks to far into it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6648 on: August 14, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »

Love in the Afternoon - 4/10 - I hate to say it but this film was pretty damn bad. The film plods and plods, with a nonsense soap opera plot that can't generate the slightest interest; Wilder's writing skills and comedic timing seem to have deserted him completely (the running gag with the lady's dog is the only funny bit, and even that grows old really fast). And was the 126 minute running time really necessary for such a slight story? Audrey Hepburn is beautiful and charming as ever (between this and The Unforgiven I'm really getting back into her - erm, sorry for that Undecided) and she's really the only reason to bother watching (and as much as I love Audrey, not THAT compelling a reason). Gary Cooper is horribly miscast, has a lame character to play (think Humphrey Bogart in Sabrina as a Lothario), and worst of all has ZERO chemistry with Hepburn at all. The movie nearly redeems itself at the end but then cops out for a skull-crushingly stupid "happy ending". Wilder's worst film by a country mile, there isn't even a runner-up. The four might be generous but I'll allow it due to Audrey and basic competency.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: August 14, 2009, 05:34:41 PM »

Love in the Afternoon - 4/10 -  Wilder's worst film by a country mile, there isn't even a runner-up.
Worse than One, Two, Three? Doubtful. An unfunny comedy, and you don't even get Audrey in that one.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6650 on: August 14, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »

I haven't seen it yet. What do you think of Ace in the Hole?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Whalestoe
« Reply #6651 on: August 14, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »

His complaints against the movie are just stupid. Waaah, they didn't spoon feed me every answer and why should I accept others for being different? Waaah.

District 9 - 8/10

Go see it.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: August 14, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »

Worse than One, Two, Three? Doubtful. An unfunny comedy, and you don't even get Audrey in that one.

Yeah, I don't understand why 1,2,3 is rated so highly, and this is coming from a Cagney fan.

I've seen many Wilder movies, not LitA though, and I have to say that it's probably the worst but I haven't seen his final movie, which is supposedly really awful.

Groggs, Ace in the Hole is a masterpiece and a big influence for Leone: The belt and suspenders line, the striking of the match on a person and the low angle camera used in For a Few when LVC kills the bandit in the first 10-15 mins. It's one of his big three, along with Sunset Blvd. and Double Indemnity. Avanti is a personal favorite but not nearly as acclaimed as the aforementioned three.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: August 14, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »

Ace in the Hole is very good, although the ending spoils it a bit. Don't want to say any more, Groggy should watch it without too much advance knowledge.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: August 15, 2009, 08:42:03 AM »

Yeah, Love in the Afternoon is a weak movie.

Targets (1968) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: August 15, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »

Targets (1968) - 8/10
I like Targets too, but maybe not as much as you. The psycho's story unspools well, and Karloff is used well. Gotta take points off, though, for Bogdanovich giving himself so much screen time.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: August 15, 2009, 11:02:41 AM »

I also enjoyed Targets very much.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: August 15, 2009, 11:02:58 AM »

Ace in the Hole is very good, although the ending spoils it a bit. Don't want to say any more, Groggy should watch it without too much advance knowledge.

I can't disagree but this is still a 10/10 because everything else is basically perfect.

And I really like Targets but agree that PB should have never acted in the movie (though my only issue his performance is the scene in which he' supposed to be drunk) but 8/10 sounds about right, maybe even 9.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:05:14 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: August 15, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »

Paradoxically, the Wendols are the weakest point of the movie; we're let to believe they have supernatural powers (or at least their leader), but in the end it turns out they're only Neanderthals. The assault on their cave(s) is far from satisfactory, end then it gets even worse - the movie doesn't end.

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't at home and online for a week...
I agree, the Wendols are quite a letdown, but I think it's mostly because in the film we never really learn what they actually are. We only learn they're not supernatural, but we don't get much of an explanation for their behaviour and strength, only enigmatic mentions of their mother and leader. No Neanderthals are mentioned in the film (obviously, as they didn't know anything about them at the time it's set in). So it remains somewhere in between - neither supernatural, nor natural, and it leaves one dissatisfied.
But I like the end, and I think it does end. It doesn't end in a bang, but that's not a bad thing - at least not in my eyes.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: August 15, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't at home and online for a week...
I agree, the Wendols are quite a letdown, but I think it's mostly because in the film we never really learn what they actually are. We only learn they're not supernatural, but we don't get much of an explanation for their behaviour and strength, only enigmatic mentions of their mother and leader. No Neanderthals are mentioned in the film (obviously, as they didn't know anything about them at the time it's set in). So it remains somewhere in between - neither supernatural, nor natural, and it leaves one dissatisfied.
But I like the end, and I think it does end. It doesn't end in a bang, but that's not a bad thing - at least not in my eyes.

No problem! Afro

Well they say in one of their evening in front of the campfire the Wendols once used to live where they are now, but got pushed off further North as the Homo Sapiens (''the civilized man'') advanced, and in a couple of generation they forgot all about them. Then as the winters went harsher they started to reappear in the warmer places searching for food. So they never called them by that name but it is implied that they share characteristics that are hard to overlook. Also, those blond-haired fellas weren't much civilized themselves. Wink

I've read some articles arguing that something similar really might have happened to the Neanderthals; they got pushed off their lands but some survived for some time in the inaccessible (mostly mountainous) parts of Northern Europe and Northern Asia, and that it was even possible that some of them mixed with the other races.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:50:20 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM