Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 05:44:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759211 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6675 on: August 18, 2009, 03:46:55 AM »

Sanjuro 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6676 on: August 18, 2009, 01:21:39 PM »

The Alamo - 7-8/10 - First viewing since I was a kid thanks to TCM, still holds up really well. I'll try and write something up later.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: August 18, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »

Domestic Disturbance (2001) - 5/10

I don't really have a problem with it.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: August 18, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »

The Alamo - 7-8/10 - First viewing since I was a kid thanks to TCM, still holds up really well. I'll try and write something up later.
Since you were a what?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6679 on: August 18, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6680 on: August 18, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »

The Conversation:  My 2nd viewing.  I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time, since I now knew how the plot would turn out.  This time I realized that the plot was fairly boring (maybe thats the point) and the repetitive use of images and sounds started to get on my nerves.  Also the ending is so fucking ridiculous--are all of his neighbors deaf?  On the plus side, Gene Hackman's performance is brilliant, one of the great character studies in film.  Harrison Ford also scores as a nasty little yuppie (makes you wonder if we lost a good character actor when Ford became a movie star).  Finally, David Shire's sad, haunting score works in perfect harmony with the pitiful life and tortured psyche of Harry Caul in a way that I've rarely seen in movies (the only other film that I remember such wonderful synergy between director, actor, and composer was OUATIA).  The movie has some problems and could have used a trim but is still well worth watching a second time.  7/10

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:41:23 PM by Il Colonnello » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6681 on: August 18, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »

I saw this in a film class freshman year. It struck me as a movie that I enjoyed but would not have any desire to watch again. I did think Hackman's performance is nothing short of brilliant, and sad to say I found his character very relatable.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: August 18, 2009, 06:36:14 PM »

I saw this in a film class freshman year. It struck me as a movie that I enjoyed but would not have any desire to watch again. I did think Hackman's performance is nothing short of brilliant, and sad to say I found his character very relatable.

I share way too much in common with William Holden's character from Stalag 17 from a personality standpoint, though I'm much more approachable and likeable.  Embarrassed

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: August 18, 2009, 06:37:20 PM »

Finally, David Shire's sad, haunting score works in perfect harmony with the pitiful life and tortured psyche of Harry Caul in a way that I've rarely seen in movies (the only other film that I remember such wonderful synergy between director, actor, and composer was OUATIA). 
Thank you, sir. Well observed.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: August 18, 2009, 07:05:36 PM »

Yea I can see that

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6685 on: August 18, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »

and sad to say I found his character very relatable.

Me, too.   Sad

Thank you, sir. Well observed.

Afro

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:30:01 PM by Il Colonnello » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: August 19, 2009, 12:04:38 AM »

Blade Runner (1982) - 9/10

Huge.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: August 19, 2009, 03:37:16 AM »

Baby Face (TCM as I type), Barbra Stanwyck sleeps her way to the top 7/10, pre Hays Code film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: August 19, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »

The Conversation:   This time I realized that the plot was fairly boring (maybe thats the point) and the repetitive use of images and sounds started to get on my nerves.

I agree. My old ratings by memory: 4\10, both on cinema and tv. This movie goes hand in hand with Night Moves, another boring picture overpraised at the time by professional critics for no apparent reason.

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #6689 on: August 19, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »

I agree. My old ratings by memory: 4\10, both on cinema and tv. This movie goes hand in hand with Night Moves, another boring picture overpraised at the time by professional critics for no apparent reason.

My rating comes almost entirely from Hackman and Shire, the rest of it is a chore to get through.  BTW I've never seen Antonioni's Blowup, which I understand is the inspiration for the Conversation.  Is it any good?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:43:16 PM by Il Colonnello » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM