Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:19:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1764858 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6720 on: August 24, 2009, 06:45:46 AM »

The Verdict (1982) - 5 or 6/10

Couldn't really get into it. Blank.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6721 on: August 24, 2009, 01:11:03 PM »

Conan the Barbarian - 5/10 - What a bizarre movie. It's either really brilliant absurdist comedy or a real piece of shit. Either way, it's impossible to take anything seriously here, though James Earl Jones is a cool bad guy and the action scenes are kind of fun. Ahnuld is a terrible actor throughout, of course, which adds immeasuribly to the humor. Fun to see a lot of Spanish/Almerian locations that turned up in The Wind and the Lion and various Spaghetti Westerns, though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: August 24, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »

The plot doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6723 on: August 24, 2009, 02:38:49 PM »

But it does have Arnold punching a camel in the face. Cheesy

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: August 24, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »

and the movie has a fantasmical score!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6725 on: August 24, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »

That's true, the score's pretty nice.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: August 24, 2009, 02:49:51 PM »

im sold.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6727 on: August 24, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »

The Shape of Things - 8/10 - I have a personal connection to the play, having played Adam as a workshop for my freshman drama class two years back, so I know the source material inside out, for what it's worth. It was nice to finally see the film, and it definitely works as such, even if it never becomes very cinematic. LaBute definitely has an ear for very naturalistic dialogue that's both banal and nasty (and I have to say it comes across a LOT better performed than on the printed page), the thematic material being explored fascinating and the characters wholly believable. The only major problem with the story is, as attractive as one may find Rachel Weisz, Evelyn is so obviously neurotic at best, sociopathic at worst, from the word go that it's near-impossible to think any sane person, even a dork like Adam, could fall for her so easily. (It's also unlikely, to say the least, that such a project as Evelyn engages in would be approved in the first place, but this suspension of disbelief I grant LaBute.) All four actors are pitch perfect for their respective parts, no complaints on that score. Way better than In the Company of Men, which seemed very rough in terms of both writing and technical aspects.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:20:59 PM by Groggy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: August 24, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »

Hopscotch - 7\10 Kinda Charley Varrick p.2 (so many airplanes) but not as gritty. Still Matthau and Mozart contribute to make this good. Don't like the rest of the male cast.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: August 24, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »

Conan the Barbarian - 5/10 - What a bizarre movie. It's either really brilliant absurdist comedy or a real piece of shit.
It's certainly one of those. Nonetheless, it's interesting to see James Earl Jones playing Col. Kurtz.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6730 on: August 24, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »

I think Conan owes as much to The Searchers as Apocalypse Now, if you must make such comparisons.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: August 24, 2009, 06:56:05 PM »

The Shape of Things - 8/10 - I have a personal connection to the play, having played Adam as a workshop for my freshman drama class two years back, so I know the source material inside out, for what it's worth. It was nice to finally see the film, and it definitely works as such, even if it never becomes very cinematic. LaBute definitely has an ear for very naturalistic dialogue that's both banal and nasty (and I have to say it comes across a LOT better performed than on the printed page), the thematic material being explored fascinating and the characters wholly believable. The only major problem with the story is, as attractive as one may find Rachel Weisz, Evelyn is so obviously neurotic at best, sociopathic at worst, from the word go that it's near-impossible to think any sane person, even a dork like Adam, could fall for her so easily. (It's also unlikely, to say the least, that such a project as Evelyn engages in would be approved in the first place, but this suspension of disbelief I grant LaBute.) All four actors are pitch perfect for their respective parts, no complaints on that score. Way better than In the Company of Men, which seemed very rough in terms of both writing and technical aspects.
I haven't seen this, but I may have to now. I too hated In the Company of Men, but not too long ago I finally caught up with Your Friends & Neighbors, and it really impressed me. So sometimes LaBute is worth checking out. Thanks for the recommendation.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: August 24, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »

I think Conan owes as much to The Searchers as Apocalypse Now, if you must make such comparisons.
Maybe, but Milius didn't write that one.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:20:30 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6733 on: August 24, 2009, 06:58:24 PM »

I didn't hate In the Company of Men, I just wasn't impressed by it. It was a good idea poorly executed by a writer/director still mastering his craft. I did think Aaron Eckhardt was nothing short of brilliant, he was the main reason to watch the film.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6734 on: August 24, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »

The whole subplot with the kidnapped daughter of Max Von Sydow and her unwillingness to be rescued seemed taken directly from the Ford film, and I would argue the revenge plot is pretty in tune with it too. I see a general resemblance to Apocalypse Now but on the other hand Willard/Marlowe didn't have a revenge motive in killing Kurtz, so it's not entirely valid.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:16:49 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM