Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 05:34:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1759183 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6735 on: August 24, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »

I see a general resemblance to Apocalypse Now but on the other hand Willard/Marlowe didn't have a revenge motive in killing Kurtz, so it's not entirely valid.
No, the films don't resemble each other in every detail, but there are enough points in common to make me sit up and take notice. For example, the basic plot: Barbaric cult leader gets assassinated by a professional who has been commisioned by an authority figure to go into the Heart of Darkness to get him. Notice also that both films have the same bit of final theater on a long flight of torch-lit outdoor steps, and there is a theme of ritual sacrifice in both.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: August 28, 2009, 06:57:21 AM »

The Hard Way (1943) - 8/10. Ida Lupino plays a hard-as-nails showbiz mom (in this case, actually a sister) who will do whatever it takes to get Joan Leslie a successful career. It's Ida's greatest performance, but good work is also done by Leslie and Jack Carson as Joan's chump husband. Dennis Morgan is also terrific as the cynical insider who sees through Ida every step of the way. It's all so mean and hard . . . then, in true Hollywood fashion, it goes soft at the end. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks goes out again to Turner (and the Warner Archives program) for dredging up this one.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: August 29, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »

3 A.M. (2001) Not a boring flick but some good performances by Glover and Grier. Sarita is beautiful. Watch it and forget it. 6\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: August 29, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »

3 A.M. (2001) Not a boring flick but some good performances by Glover and Grier. Sarita is beautiful. Watch it and forget it. 6\10

What the Hell... I've never heard of this movie but the premise (cab drivers and human stories in the night) sounds extremely interesting. Did you buy the DVD?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6739 on: August 29, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »

Inglourious Basterds - 6/10 - See appropriate thread.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: August 29, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »

Neon Genesis Evangelion The Series

9/10

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: August 30, 2009, 09:25:46 AM »

1900 (1976) - 9/10
The two-part version. Those who judge this movie based on its poltical views are total fools. It's a great epic, not a history book.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: August 30, 2009, 09:57:42 AM »

What the Hell... I've never heard of this movie but the premise (cab drivers and human stories in the night) sounds extremely interesting. Did you buy the DVD?

Yes, for 1 euro.

Anyway, the problem with american movies is that the premise doesn't go along wth the treatment. A common people story is always out of question and characters and plot always have to be over the top. Here they have a serial killer killing taxi drivers (in Italy he would be hailed as a kind of hero) to spice up the plot; a girl taxi driver who kills clients; another who is an expatriate and kills (or about) a boy; the only "normal" taxi driver is Glover, who ends up killing the killer. Is that believable? Sure, that makes the movie watchable but unredeemably shallow. 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6743 on: August 30, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »

Those who judge this movie based on its poltical views are total fools.

That would apply to pretty much any movie, though I'd prefer tools to fools.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6744 on: August 30, 2009, 11:54:15 AM »

Rate the Last Movie You Saw - 9.5/10 - I laughed and laughed and laughed. Probably the greatest message board thread of all time, and certainly the best thing RRPower every created (admittedly not an impressive title), though there is perhaps a bit too much Jenkins for my taste. At 470 pages though, it's quite a sit, bring a sack lunch.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: August 30, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »

Rate the Last Movie You Saw - 9.5/10 - I laughed and laughed and laughed. Probably the greatest message board thread of all time, and certainly the best thing RRPower every created (admittedly not an impressive title), though there is perhaps a bit too much Jenkins for my taste. At 470 pages though, it's quite a sit, bring a sack lunch.
7/10. I give Groggy credit for being pithy, but he seems to have missed some of the essential points. Again, why no comment on the soundtrack? The man needs his hearing checked.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6746 on: August 30, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »

The sound of my air conditioner is pretty impressive.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: August 30, 2009, 02:46:40 PM »

Yes, for 1 euro.

Anyway, the problem with american movies is that the premise doesn't go along wth the treatment. A common people story is always out of question and characters and plot always have to be over the top. Here they have a serial killer killing taxi drivers (in Italy he would be hailed as a kind of hero) to spice up the plot; a girl taxi driver who kills clients; another who is an expatriate and kills (or about) a boy; the only "normal" taxi driver is Glover, who ends up killing the killer. Is that believable? Sure, that makes the movie watchable but unredeemably shallow.

I think I also wrote something similar concerning American movies somewhere. Too much artificial flavor does seem to be an unwritten rule.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: August 30, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »

I haven't seen 3AM, but you should see NIGHT ON EARTH, if you haven't.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: August 30, 2009, 11:54:43 PM »

A Decade Under the Influence - AWESOME-O DOCUMENTARO!!!!!!!!

Dazed and Confused - fucking good movie! it's like American Graffiti for a  newer generation...and I'd say its better, too.

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM