Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 06:09:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758469 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6780 on: September 04, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »

Eyes Wide Shut - 9/10 - This is a tentative rating, I might bump it down upon some thought. The story was kind of hard to swallow at times but the execution of the material. Kubrick is at his absolute best here; the movie is gorgeous throughout and his directorial style perfectly suits the material. The film's slow, langorous pacing is really engrossing and the movie doesn't feel long at all, though there are some elements that probably could have been trimmed without much detriment to the film (Leelee Sobieski's character for instance). Cruise is very, very good (I hesitate to say he's great); Kidman is fine but very much underused; I was somehow under the impression she had a much larger role when she's basically backgrounded after the first half hour or so. The orgy scenes are a bit too outlandish to be erotic but they are fascinating to behold. A great movie and I'd have to rate it in my top three Kubricks. I have now seen all of his feature-length films, make of that what you will. I think I'd need to rewatch The Killing and Paths of Glory to do a proper retrospective though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: September 04, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »

Eyes Wide Shut - 9/10
I found the film utterly preposterous, but maybe you can explain something to me. Why, oh why, in 1999 America are secret orgies necessary or even possible? I understand that the source story was set in fin de siecle Vienna; okay, secret orgies would have been possible there. But by updating the material, it seems to me, Kubrick cut the legs out from under the story. It's like plotting a mystery in 2009 where the murderer's motivation is to prevent his homosexuality from being exposed: Whaaaaa?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6782 on: September 04, 2009, 05:03:04 PM »

I kind of agree with you, Jenkins, about the plausibility of the story, but it didn't bother me that much. I was just engrossed in the story to an extent that I didn't mind the flaws overmuch, I'm not sure I can provide an insightful reason for it (although God knows I'll try later on tonight).

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: September 04, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

I remember I was also pleasantly surprised the first time I watched it. (That was a couple of years after it came out, must have been 2002 or something.) As I've previously let myself be opinionized by some people, I expected some crappy perverse sexual urban neo-aristocratic jerk off, the kind of crap you'd expect to be pulled from an aging director, but was in fact surprised that it was suppressed to the lightweight category. The whole fucking-elite-in-venetian-masks thing was really silly, but all in all didn't hurt the movie that much, mostly because it had fluidity and (-strangely-) entertaining value, making it pleasant to watch.

Floats around 7.5 in my book.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: September 05, 2009, 12:13:17 PM »

Gamer 9/10

Once I saw that teabag in the beginning. I knew it was a film for me. Also, seeing Keith Jardine is pretty cool. As well as Terry Crews dancing bit.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: September 05, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »

Gamer 9/10

Once I saw that teabag in the beginning. I knew it was a film for me. Also, seeing Keith Jardine is pretty cool. As well as Terry Crews dancing bit.
Yeah, there were a lot of cameos. I liked the fact that Zoe Bell showed up just long enough to get her head blown off.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: September 05, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »

Gamer (2009) - 7/10.

Did you take a gander at the immensely stupid tagline?

Gerard Butler hasn't kicked this much ass since 300 years ago

Grin

That just doesn't make any logical sense on any level.

Now if it would have been...

Gerard Butler hasn't kicked this much ass since 300, years ago

but something tells me that wasn't what they were goin' fer...

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6787 on: September 05, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »

The Guns of Navarone - 9/10 - Sixth (?) viewing. I laughed and laughed and laughed at David Niven's inane pacifistic ramblings and Gregory Peck trying to be a badass. "You're in it now - UP TO YOUR NECK!" Grin It's even better seeing it a week after the crap-tacular Inglourious Turds.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: September 06, 2009, 07:59:25 AM »

Easy Rider (1969) - 7.5/10
Maybe 8/10.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: September 06, 2009, 08:06:17 AM »

Indy:

1) Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - 8/10 (first = classic)
2) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - 6.5/10 (the weakest in the series)
3) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - 7.5 - 8 / 10 (my favorite in the series)
4) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - 6/10 (could have been better, but very probably better than the upcoming fifth installment)

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: September 06, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »

2) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - 6.5/10 (the weakest in the series)

Weaker than Skull (which you gave a lower rating to)?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: September 06, 2009, 04:34:21 PM »

Weaker than Skull (which you gave a lower rating to)?

Aeh, you know what I meant Cheesy

It'll take some time before I start considering that fourth part of the old company Wink

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: September 07, 2009, 09:37:54 AM »

Blast of Silence (1961) - 7/10

Interesting little indie piece draining the last kicks from the film noir. Couldn't link the voice of the narrator to a name until I saw on IMDb it was actually Lionel Stander (though uncredited). Worth a watch.

Whatever happened to Allen Baron?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: September 07, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »

The Paper Chase (1973) - 8/10. I remember watching this on TV in the 70s and not liking it, but I find it pleasant now. Maybe because of all the nostalgia. And the fact that Lindsay Wagner is very appealing. It's better than the TV show, anyway. http://www.hulu.com/the-paper-chase

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: September 08, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »

Renaissance (2006)
pretty decent futuristic detective movie. it's animated, but it's still somewhat lifelike, I suspect they used motion capture.
if you like philip k. dick novels then it might be something for you(think blade runner), although less genius and depressing.
I saw the original french version so I'm not sure how the english one is.

Buffalo Soldiers (2001)
what a waste of my time. I thought the scene where the soldiers were driving a tank through west berlin high as shit was funny, but after that it got pretty serious and predictable.

also started watching a russian movie called Dead Man's Bluff from 2005 but I didn't last more than 15 mins. seemed shit.

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM