Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:30:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769502 times)
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #6795 on: September 08, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »

Hornblower series:

The Even Chance 8/10 - Great baddie with bad hairdo. Adorable Captain Pellew. A cute blonde sidekick. A Lovable Midshipman, aka The Guy Who Dies For The Hero In This Episode.

The Examination For Liutenant 8/10 - Wedge Antilles(!) as a captain. Vladimir Harkonnen from the Miniseries as some funny merchant. Still adorable Captain Pellew. Plague. Hero boards a fire ship just in time to save the day. He also meets one of his would-be-judges from the later episode, in which court martial will take place.

They're good till now. Adventure, pretty men, rum, lash (not knowing about the third thing), pretty uniforms, awful hats.  Wink

Will go on tomorrow.

Hornblower looks just like if Gedeon Burkhard had a lovechild with a noble horse.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6796 on: September 08, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »

The Big Gundown - 7-8/10 - This overtakes Death Rides a Horse as my favorite non-Leone Spaghetti Western. Really good for the most part, although I didn't really like the "happy" ending. Cuchillo was a great character and Lee Van Cleef is at his most badass. Nice Morricone score too. The posse hunting Cuchillo through the cornfield is an inspired set piece. May write a review later tonight.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: September 08, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »

The Big Gundown - 7-8/10 - This overtakes Death Rides a Horse as my favorite non-Leone Spaghetti Western. Really good for the most part, although I didn't really like the "happy" ending. Cuchillo was a great character and Lee Van Cleef is at his most badass. Nice Morricone score too. The posse hunting Cuchillo through the cornfield is an inspired set piece. May write a review later tonight.

Awesome to see you liked it although that title can be misleading Undecided

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: September 08, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »

Blast of Silence (1961) - 7/10

Interesting little indie piece draining the last kicks from the film noir. Couldn't link the voice of the narrator to a name until I saw on IMDb it was actually Lionel Stander (though uncredited). Worth a watch.

Whatever happened to Allen Baron?

I'd give it an 8. It's very liberated and has some great scenes. I never tired of LS's narration but that could be a potential issue with some viewers. I'm sure it's no surprise that I enjoy it, considering I had the sig/avatar pics. a one point.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: September 09, 2009, 01:26:56 AM »

I'd give it an 8. It's very liberated and has some great scenes. I never tired of LS's narration but that could be a potential issue with some viewers. I'm sure it's no surprise that I enjoy it, considering I had the sig/avatar pics. a one point.

I actually didn't thought the narration was that bad. Sure, a couple of times it goes on explaining the obvious just to remind you it's there, but all in all it's OK. The camera bothered me more; Baron was not a bad actor as much as he was unexperienced in directing, it would have been a bomb if he knew a few more professional tricks. Can't understand why he never went up the hierarchy but ended up directing television shows.

P.S. That 'rape' scene is just WTF.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: September 09, 2009, 04:15:12 AM »

Awesome to see you liked it although that title can be misleading Undecided

Yeah but the original title is The Settling Of Accounts which is much more appropriate.
AC said it best when he dubs this The Big Letdown.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: September 09, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »

I actually didn't thought the narration was that bad. Sure, a couple of times it goes on explaining the obvious just to remind you it's there, but all in all it's OK. The camera bothered me more; Baron was not a bad actor as much as he was unexperienced in directing, it would have been a bomb if he knew a few more professional tricks. Can't understand why he never went up the hierarchy but ended up directing television shows.

P.S. That 'rape' scene is just WTF.

I didn't have an issue with the visuals, I liked the look esp. the long shot of the street (reminded me of the opening of Down By Law) but I'm going to re-watch it in the very near future b/c I have it DVR'd.

Yeah, that scene is really random.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: September 09, 2009, 12:06:05 PM »

Ashes and Diamonds - I had wanted to see this for more than 30 years and, as it often happens, it was a big letdown. Too many going-nowhere dialogues, nowhere-going scenes. Cibulski's performance is outstanding, though, that's why I give it 5\10. Canal was much better.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »

I didn't have an issue with the visuals, I liked the look esp. the long shot of the street (reminded me of the opening of Down By Law) but I'm going to re-watch it in the very near future b/c I have it DVR'd.

Yeah, that scene is really random.

I had the feeling he was struggling with the camera in his face. He probably should have changed the angle.

The shots of the exteriors were excellent: the deserted streets and docks were radiating that specific Cold War paranoia.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: September 09, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »

Big Gundown is good, although I saw it in a half-English / half-Italian with non-matching English subs version, so I didn't get the small details. But Lee and Tomas can do nothing bad, especially not together. I too think that Lee should've died at the end. Maybe he's jsut too badass a to die except GBU?  Afro I prefer DRAH myself, though. It's all badass and good ol' Pistilli makes a fine villain, while Mario Brega this time gets simply... shot. Instead of his more complicated deaths.  Grin

By the way, more Hornblower!

The Duchess and the Devil - 7/10

Boring Spanish prison. Middle-aged duchess who turns out to be a fake duchess, she's actually a whore with a heart of gold. Hornblower gets disgustingly honourable and we don't get enough Pellew. (Pellew would make a good aging gunslinger in any SW.)

The Frogs And The Lobsters - 9/10

Action happens. Lots of fighting. Pretty uniforms and a lot of beheadings. Good ol' Madame Guillotine at work. Hornblower gets a love interest for one episode, but she's a French peasant girl, so you can guess what happens to her. (Just the same that happened to every woman Kirk had an interest for an episode.  ) We also get Pretty But Quite An Asshole Aristocratic Major. He prefers to be adressed "my lord". Thank God we also get a lot of lovely Captain Pellew, who can't hide how he favorizes our Hero. They have an almost-hugging moment at the end. It's so obvious Pellew has a little secret - he surely had an affair with a certain Mrs. Hornblower about 20 years ago...

More to come... but sadly, no "LukeImYourFather" moment.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: September 09, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »

Two from the Warner Archives:

Highway 301 (1950) - 8/10. After a boring prologue (3 U.S. governors--in succession!--telling the audience that the film we are about to see will illustrate the adage "crime does not pay"), this film gets down to business. Steve Cochran heads an outfit dubbed the tri-state gang (they operate within MD, VA, and NC); Steve is pretty ruthless, with one answer for every problem. Loudmouthed dames, nervous armored car drivers, unreliable inside men: they all get a bullet from Steve. But all good things have to come to an end, especially when a Law Enforcement Task Force is assigned to run the boys down. Great ending, as Steve is surrounded by cops on 3 sides and a speeding locomotive on the fourth! All this and Robert Weber too--in his first film appearance.

The Unsuspected (1947) - 3/10. This film has a lot going for it: Noir lighting, Michael Curtiz directing, Franz Waxman scoring, Claude Rains doing his patented Cat-who-ate-the-canary routine. But this flick really blows, man. It's got one of the dumbest stories ever written, and it just goes on and on and on. I think it's only supposed to be 103 minutes, but it seemed to go well over 2 hours. Who edited this mess?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: September 11, 2009, 02:49:22 AM »

Alien Nation (1988) - 6.35/10

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: September 11, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »

Even more Hornblower!  Grin

Mutiny (10/10), and Retribution (10/10)

These two are actually one movie cut into two halfs.
We get: mad captain, three sexy officers, one mediocre officer, a drankard surgeon with a bad wig, a cute abused midshipman, some surly seamen, unjust punishments, then mutiny occurs. Hornblower and his friends save the day, defeat some Spaniardsh, blow up a lot of things and stand trial. Mutiny would mean dancing the Hempen Jig, but Hornblower is a hero, and a hero always happens to have noble, dying friends around who take the blame.  It's way better than it sounds. It's a freakin' great adventure. Lovely Captain Pellew is now Commodore Pellew, but he's still all fatherly.

Loyalty - 7.5/10

Those Frogs plan something filthy again. This time the Irish are in too. Sadly, no sign of Mallory. We get Tom Riddle as this episode's doomed cute midshipman, some Irish spies, a faithful!Frog, and the most awesome scene: Styles giving an unjust flogging back to a traitor - IN THE MIDDLE OF A BATTLE. It's epic win. (without it, it would be onl 6.5/10)  Evil Poor Hornblower is tricked into offering marriage to a horribly annoying girl. Lovely Admiral! Pellew is also around, quotes the Bible and is badass in general.

One more part to go...

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6808 on: September 11, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »

The Servant - 8/10 - Really, really good, although it dragged in spots. The quiet battle of wills in the early-going between Dirk Bogarde, James Fox and Wendy Craig was much more interesting and entertaining than the bizarre, homoerotic scenes of Fox and Bogarde farting around the house in debauchery; the ending orgy/party made up for it though. Excellent cinematography too despite lacking in obvious directoral flash. And Sarah Miles is really something, ain't she?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:25:48 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: September 11, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »

The Servant - 8/10 - Really, really good, although it dragged in spots.
Not really all that keen on this one. Begins well, but gets harder to buy as it goes along until I feel the need to chuck the whole Willing Suspension. For my money, the better Losey/Pinter/Bogard collaboration is Accident (1967).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM