Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 08:10:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760132 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6810 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »

It was either The Servant or Cinema Paradiso, Jinkies. Your call.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: September 12, 2009, 08:34:23 AM »

Revenge (1990) - 6/10

For some reason I never heard of this movie until I heard somewhere Quentin Tarantino was apparently a big fan of it, and so decided to check it out. Tony Scott directs, Kevin Costner plays the lead role, the rest of the cats includes: Anthony Quinn, Madeleine Stowe, Tomas Milian, and a bunch of other semi-known faces. It's mediocre for the most part; a simple (cliched) plot with a couple of good scenes. Perfect for killing a couple of hours.

P.S. But what I'd really like to know is how big was Madeleine Stowe's salary.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:36:38 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: September 12, 2009, 08:47:44 AM »

Top Gun (1986) - 10/10

First time I've watched DJ's favorite movie from a different prospective, and it was a whole new experience. A seemingly shallow 80s propaganda flick that is in fact a carrier of  latent massive subversiveness. A fucking masterpiece!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:54:37 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: September 12, 2009, 11:47:51 AM »

Ok, here's what I've watched since the last time since I watched Dazed and Confused a few pages back.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - it's an all right comedy, John Hughes did the whole teen angst thing a lot better. Sean Penn saved it from sucking
The Last Detail - liked it
Bruno - like it, very funny
The Thin Blue Line -  love it. masterpiece!!!! watched it twice in a row, only a ten minute break inbetween
District 9 - really good
The Cable Guy - really like it, but Jim Carrey's performance is slightly too over the top
Gates of Heaven - fucking boring. I don't care how 'deep or symbolic' this is on life, it took me 3 sittings to go through a 80 minute movie
The Chumscrubber - stupid
Chungking Express - liked it but a tad overpraised

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:50:12 AM by rrpower » Logged
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: September 12, 2009, 12:06:48 PM »

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - it's an all right comedy, John Hughes did the whole teen angst thing a lot better.

you...dick.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: September 12, 2009, 01:32:28 PM »

My Name Is Bruce (2007) - 6 (lols) out of 10 (lols)

I believe needs no explanation.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:33:29 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: September 13, 2009, 12:30:42 AM »

you...dick.

for some reason that reminded me of this

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: September 13, 2009, 04:44:53 PM »

World's Greatest Dad (2009) - 7/10. A man's jackass son has a tragic and embarrassing accident--and it becomes the best thing that ever happened to the dad. Bobcat Goldthwait re-invents himself as an auteur, and not just any writer-director, but the second coming of Hal Ashby himself  (but with a touch of Alexander Payne). It's a credible impersonation.  Trouble is, Ashby--as a satirist--was never all that good. Your basic taking-a-good-premise-and-beating-it-to-death approach. Oh well, there are some laughs in it.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: September 13, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »

Robin Williams playing a dad... I think I'll pass.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: September 13, 2009, 05:43:34 PM »

Robin Williams playing a dad... I think I'll pass.
Nothing wrong with his performance.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: September 13, 2009, 07:16:30 PM »

A Brief History of Time - good shit!
The Jerk - Good shit!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6821 on: September 14, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »

Cinema Pardiso - ?/10 - The shortened version, had just enough time to watch this so I opted out of the Redux. I'm VERY ambivalent at first glance; I really liked, even loved, parts of the film: the early scenes with Toto growing up are fun, the "watching moviegoers watch movies" aspect is handled as well as it probably could be, and though elements of the story are maudlin and sappy it's entertaining and engrossing for most of its length. However, I HATED the boneheaded, cutesy movie romance where Toto gets the girl after exchanging ten words with her and engaging in creepy stalker behavior. The movie doesn't quite pick up after that plotline is unceremoniously dropped, and seems extremely rushed towards the end (I'd assume because of the cuts), though I quite enjoyed the final scene. Ennio's score is beyond wonderful although I was getting sick of the Love Theme by the ninetieth time it queued up on the soundtrack. Acting was kind of meh although it was cool to see Philippe Noiret. Gorgeous cinematography and great direction, it's unquestionably a physically beautiful movie. On a shallow, self-indulgent note I got a kick out of being able to identify various movie clips from my Italian film class a few years back - and now have seen Tuco Harmonica's signature. Wink Not sure what to make of it, I'll have to chew it over; my guess for an arbitrary rating would be in the neighborhood of a 7.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:22:41 PM by Groggy » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: September 14, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »

Cinema Pardiso - ?/10 - The shortened version, had just enough time to watch this so I opted out of the Redux. I'm VERY ambivalent at first glance; I really liked, even loved, parts of the film: the early scenes with Toto growing up are fun, the "watching moviegoers watch movies" aspect is handled as well as it probably could be, and though elements of the story are maudlin and sappy it's entertaining and engrossing for most of its length. However, I HATED the boneheaded, cutesy movie romance where Toto gets the girl after exchanging ten words with her and engaging in creepy stalker behavior. The movie doesn't quite pick up after that plotline is unceremoniously dropped, and seems extremely rushed towards the end (I'd assume because of the cuts), though I quite enjoyed the final scene. Ennio's score is beyond wonderful although I was getting sick of the Love Theme by the ninetieth time it queued up on the soundtrack. Acting was kind of meh although it was cool to see Philippe Noiret. Gorgeous cinematography and great direction, it's unquestionably a physically beautiful movie. On a shallow, self-indulgent note I got a kick out of being able to identify various movie clips from my Italian film class a few years back - and now have seen Tuco Harmonica's signature. Wink Not sure what to make of it, I'll have to chew it over; my guess for an arbitrary rating would be in the neighborhood of a 7.
Well I'm glad you liked it (though anything below a 7 I'd have to be an asshole to you). As for the Director's Cut, as I've told everyone: stay far, far away. Completely ruins the 'magic' of the movie with that last hour, which fills in far too much than the viewer needs to know, leaving nothing up to the viewer as to why certain things happened. And you say you didn't like the 'sap'? Well, the directors cut doubles the sap when Toto is a teenager. So yea, don't watch it unless you want to be extremely disappointed. I wish I never did.

As for the original, it's far from a perfect movie (for a few of the reasons you stated) but I have a strong personal love for it and don't see it leaving my Top 5 films for a very long, long, long time.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:27:09 PM by rrpower » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6823 on: September 14, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »

I'm waiting for Jinkies to show up and give his insightful assessment of the film. Cheesy

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6824 on: September 14, 2009, 03:37:11 PM »

It just occurred to me for what it's worth that they used a lot of the soundtrack in the Everybody Loves Raymond episodes where the family goes to Italy. I knew I recognized the music (other than the love theme) from somewhere!

Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM