Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 08:11:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831220 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6855 on: September 19, 2009, 02:18:54 AM »

Manhunter (Michael Mann) 3/10
I had heard of this years ago, and i have been wondering for years why this prequel of The Silence Of The Lamb was as confidential. Now I know. Terrible 80's music, bad acting, and Mann shoots it like an amateur would: he tries to have cool/nice looking shots, but none a single one is related to the scene or the way we're supposed to feel. It seems that the way he directed it was: "In this scene, you have a couple guys. Ok. Put the camera here.... ok, it looks good and you see both of them. Now, give me the script, what's happening? Is the first guy gonna kiss or kill the other one? Ah ok. ACTION."

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: September 19, 2009, 05:28:48 AM »

Libeled Lady 6.5/10 William Powell, Myrna Loy, Spencer Tracey, had a funny fly fishing segment not a great comedy but entertaining.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: September 19, 2009, 07:38:34 AM »

McQ (1974) and Brannigan (1975)

8\10 to McQ (the beach car chase earns it) and 7\10 to Brannigan (I saw it in a theatre and didn't remember a thing about it, not even that it was shot in London).
McQ is a personal favorite of mine because it was shot in my hometown. Seattle has changed a lot since the early 70s, and it's nostalgic to see things the way they were. And the way they weren't. Even though Seattle is a port town, it's over 100 miles away from the Pacific Ocean and so it takes a couple hour to get out there. That was inconvenient for the action in the film, so when the Duke and Diana Muldaur hit the road they get to the beach in nothing flat (and why they would even head out that way anyway is never explained). Movies do this kind of thing all the time, of course, but it's different when they get creative with YOUR geography. Anyway, I agree with titoli, the beach car chase scene is great, and whenever I see it I immediately want to go out there.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6858 on: September 19, 2009, 11:09:17 AM »

Milian is never shown to be the "ruthless killer" we're told he is, thus making the trade off between him and Volonte nowhere near as convincing as we're led to believe.

He's more a dark Cuchillio than a ruthless killer to my way of thinking. I think that characterization is fine though, since Fletcher is the main character; Bennett isn't going to be much more than the foil to his transformation.

I also disagree strongly with you on the score; it's fairly low-key but that's not a bad thing.

It's not a perfect movie by any means, but it's lightyears ahead of any of the other Spaghettis I've seen in terms of quality and overall atmosphere. Even the translated English-language script is way better than most other Spaghettis - very few clunkily backwards-translated lines, which I really appreciated. I like most of the Corbuccis I've seen but except for The Great Silence he's fairly lightweight - lots of action, the bloodier and more grotesque the better. Sollima's only one (of my admittedly limited experience) who can even be mentioned in the same breath as Leone.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: September 19, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »

Manhunter (Michael Mann) 3/10
I had heard of this years ago, and i have been wondering for years why this prequel of The Silence Of The Lamb was as confidential. Now I know. Terrible 80's music, bad acting, and Mann shoots it like an amateur would: he tries to have cool/nice looking shots, but none a single one is related to the scene or the way we're supposed to feel. It seems that the way he directed it was: "In this scene, you have a couple guys. Ok. Put the camera here.... ok, it looks good and you see both of them. Now, give me the script, what's happening? Is the first guy gonna kiss or kill the other one? Ah ok. ACTION."

It's a really, really good looking movie though.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: September 19, 2009, 03:17:05 PM »

On the Waterfront (1954) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6861 on: September 19, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »

For the newer memebers of the board: there's already a thread for Face to Face:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1319.0

Reviews of SW and AW should be posted in the Other Films forum. Thanx.

Thanks for noting the obvious, dipshit. Roll Eyes

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: September 19, 2009, 05:10:12 PM »

Thanks for noting the obvious, dipshit. Roll Eyes

Not so obvious, apparently.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6863 on: September 19, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »

I was under the impression that the RTLMYS thread is to be used for free-form discussion and first-impression reviews. Perhaps you know better.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: September 19, 2009, 05:33:26 PM »

The Informant! (2009) 8/10. In the 1990s, the FBI gets an executive at Archer Midland Daniels to roll over on his colleagues. Trouble is, how can they use anything supplied by a congenital liar with a hidden agenda? Matt Damon plays the liar with just enough brio to sell the part. The fun, of course, is watching him twisting every which way to avoid getting caught out. Based on real-life events, but with better colors. Comes complete with a nice feel-good score by Marvin Hamlisch!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6865 on: September 19, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »

Thanks Jenkins. I may now actually have interest in this film (who knows - it could be my first professional film review!).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: September 20, 2009, 01:53:52 AM »

I was under the impression that the RTLMYS thread is to be used for free-form discussion and first-impression reviews. Perhaps you know better.

OK, do as you please.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: September 20, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »

La Vie En Rose

9/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6868 on: September 21, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »

Ran - 8/10 - My second Kurosawa, and I have the same approximately feelings towards it as I did the first: like it, respect it, don't love it. Great battle scenes, gorgeous art direction, a few good performances, but something about it seems off. I didn't particularly care for the lengthy scenes of Hidetora wandering through the wilderness (too slow? too broadly played?); the stuff with Jiro and Lady Kaede was by far the best part of the movie. It was well-made, entertaining and far from boring but not the masterpiece I was hoping for. Oh well.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »

Ran - 8/10 - My second Kurosawa, and I have the same approximately feelings towards it as I did the first: like it, respect it, don't love it. Great battle scenes, gorgeous art direction, a few good performances, but something about it seems off. I didn't particularly care for the lengthy scenes of Hidetora wandering through the wilderness (too slow? too broadly played?); the stuff with Jiro and Lady Kaede was by far the best part of the movie. It was well-made, entertaining and far from boring but not the masterpiece I was hoping for. Oh well.

I completely agree with your thoughts. I actually have similar sentiments for many Kurosawa movies, with the exceptions being High and Low, The Bad Sleep Well, Stray Dog, and Yojimbo, to a lesser extent.

I don't want to make sweeping generalizations about such an influential filmmaker's work, but there is too much sitting around talking in his pictures, and not in a Ozu-esque manner, in which it is the backbone of the picture. Kurosawa is a master, but his work doesn't resonate as much as other Japanese filmmakers.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM