Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:54:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838632 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6900 on: September 27, 2009, 12:10:55 PM »

The Harder They Come, 6.5/10.  Mediocre but entertained me.  It would be a five but I give plus one for the soundtrack, which is some real good stuff, and another .5 for the scene in the middle where they are all sitting in a theatre watching the machine gun scene in Django!  That took me by surprise, and then they flashed back to it at the finale.
Yeah, the rastas really like those spaghettis. There was even one group or artist going by the name Clint Eastwood some time back, IMS.

The one problem with The Harder They Come is having to listen to the title track again and again. That's why, when a reggae movie is indicated, I always reach for Rockers. Lots of artists in that, so there's no time to repeat anything. The story's not too bad either. Hmmm, seems I remember hearing about a Rockers Blu-ray. I better go check on that . . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: September 27, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »

Yeah, the rastas really like those spaghettis. There was even one group or artist going by the name Clint Eastwood some time back, IMS.

The one problem with The Harder They Come is having to listen to the title track again and again. That's why, when a reggae movie is indicated, I always reach for Rockers. Lots of artists in that, so there's no time to repeat anything. The story's not too bad either. Hmmm, seems I remember hearing about a Rockers Blu-ray. I better go check on that . . . .

Yeah they kind of overdo the main theme.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: September 27, 2009, 02:05:17 PM »

481 pages, god damn.  I've been off this board too long.

The Harder They Come, 6.5/10.  Mediocre but entertained me.  It would be a five but I give plus one for the soundtrack, which is some real good stuff, and another .5 for the scene in the middle where they are all sitting in a theatre watching the machine gun scene in Django!  That took me by surprise, and then they flashed back to it at the finale.

I'm with you.
Soundtrack is great and the Django cameo is fun but the movie is pretty boring in spots.

6/10

I was told that Spag Westerns were banned in Jamaica because they were seen as the source of the countries Juvenile delinquency problem in the 70's.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:07:03 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: September 27, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »

sex drive - poopy
dirty work - really funny

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: September 27, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »

sex drive - poopy
dirty work - really funny
Thanks for sharing, but have you seen any films lately? Cheesy

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: September 28, 2009, 07:47:49 AM »

The Music Room (1958) - 9/10. Satyajit Ray's fourth feature (i.e. the first film he made after finishing The Apu Trilogy) about a landowner who wiles away his days in the pursuit of fine music and dance, neglecting the new economic realities of the times. When tragedy strikes, he is unable to cope, and so the Music Room is closed up. But one day he decides to reopen it for one last fling . . . . In many ways, it is a Bengali version of The Leopard, showing the passing away of an ancien regime and the rise of a grasping middle class. There's even a climactic dance (that the protagonist in this case merely watches), and many intimations of the character's mortality. Every frame of the film is beautifully composed, and the classical Indian music works wonderfully on the soundtrack.

I saw this last week up at the Jacob Burns as part of their Rarely Seen series, curated by Jonathan "Silence of the Lambs" Demme. During the Q & A afterwards, Mr. Demme kicked things off by saying he didn't know much about the film, but he knew enough to know that if he turned comments over to the audience interesting things would emerge. How right he was.

Fat City (1972) - 10/10. Stockton, CA: A worn-out on-his-way-down boxer (Stacy Keach) meets an up-and-coming hopeful (Jeff Bridges). Their opposite trajectories mean their meeting is necessarily brief. John Huston's tranche de vie is extremely well observed, depicting a specific time, place, industries (I now know more about both semi-pro boxing and onion picking than I've ever wanted to) and characters. Performances are incredible, including one by Susan Tyrrell where she plays a credible drunk in every scene she's in. One of Huston's best, maybe the best, which, you know, is really saying something. The music was supervised by Marvin Hamlisch.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: September 28, 2009, 08:44:04 AM »

Fat City (1972) - 10/10. Stockton, CA: A worn-out on-his-way-down boxer (Stacy Keach) meets an up-and-coming hopeful (Jeff Bridges). Their opposite trajectories mean their meeting is necessarily brief. John Huston's tranche de vie is extremely well observed, depicting a specific time, place, industries (I now know more about both semi-pro boxing and onion picking than I've ever wanted to) and characters. Performances are incredible, including one by Susan Tyrrell where she plays a credible drunk in every scene she's in. One of Huston's best, maybe the best, which, you know, is really saying something. The music was supervised by Marvin Hamlisch.

Saw it when first released, at the time I think I gave it 5\10 or 6\10: not boring but insipid.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: September 28, 2009, 10:58:12 AM »

Saw it when first released, at the time I think I gave it 5\10 or 6\10: not boring but insipid.
But human beings are insipid. The trick is to make them interesting anyway, which is what this film does. Btw, if you saw it dubbed, you didn't see it.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: September 28, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »

But human beings are insipid. The trick is to make them interesting anyway, which is what this film does. Btw, if you saw it dubbed, you didn't see it.

The trick is to make an interesting movie, which I thought  Fat City was not.  But yeah I saw it dubbed. So I'll give it another try (which should be a third because I think I saw it again on Tv in the '80's. As there was much hype at the time about this, I decided maybe I was too harsh the first time, which I wasn't).

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: September 28, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »

Is Fat City available to watch anyewhere?

and does anyone else agree that The Harder They Fall would be a much better movie had it ended with Jimmy Cliff driving around in circles (maybe with about 15 mins. left)?

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: September 28, 2009, 03:43:16 PM »

The Big Heat (1953) dir. Fritz lang, with Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, Jocelyn Brando, Alexander Scourby, Lee Marvin, Jeanette Nolan, excellent  Afro 5/5   

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: September 28, 2009, 04:20:49 PM »

Scandal Sheet (1952) keep catching the last 2/3rd's of this on TCM  its great from there to the end with Broderick Crawford, Donna Reed, John Derek, Steve McCleary
Rosemary DeCamp,  and Harry Morgan, 5/5   

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: September 28, 2009, 08:44:09 PM »

Scandal Sheet (1952) keep catching the last 2/3rd's of this on TCM  its great from there to the end with Broderick Crawford, Donna Reed, John Derek, Steve McCleary
Rosemary DeCamp,  and Harry Morgan, 5/5   
Coming soon as part of the Sam Fuller Collection boxset!

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: September 29, 2009, 01:42:38 PM »

Coming soon as part of the Sam Fuller Collection boxset!

It's a good one, just seen it.

And Shockproof is the only other one I've seen that will be included in the set, which is basically an inferior NAKED KISS with a terrible ending. I doubt you'll care for it.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6914 on: September 29, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »

It's been eight days since I've seen a movie. I feel ashamed. Embarrassed

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM