Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:39:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831102 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6930 on: October 01, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »

Mr. 880 (1950) - 7/10. Edmund Gwenn is a lovable old coot who survives on counterfeit one dollar bills. The Secret Service can never catch him because he only passes a few at a time, and nobody in Manhattan or Brooklyn can be bothered to screen every single they take in. Then Agent Burt Lancaster is assigned to the case . . . . and the real fun begins. Based (sorta) on a true story, the tale is quite a tonic until it goes all maudlin at the end. View it for free here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/99517/mister-880

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6931 on: October 02, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »

Sweet Smell of Success - 9/10 - I didn't like the ending, but can't find much other fault with it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: October 02, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »

Sweet Smell of Success - 9/10 - I didn't like the ending, but can't find much other fault with it.
Love this movie. One of the best films of its era.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: October 02, 2009, 03:49:59 PM »

No, Groggy is right, the ending betrays the film. There are other movies of the era that are better, that don't flinch at the end.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: October 02, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »

No, Groggy is right, the ending betrays the film. There are other movies of the era that are better, that don't flinch at the end.

**********SPOILERS************

A Face in the Crowd and Ace in the Hole truly wimp out (the latter is a personal favorite); SSoS sidesteps the process to a degree. I don't hold it against the movie, since there is no conceivable way it would have been green-lit with Curtis' character making a deal with the devil in the final moments.

I would say, without a doubt, that SSoS is one of the elite 50s movies.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6935 on: October 03, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »

I more took issue with Lancaster's sister walking off to an apparently happy future, which was presented as a happy ending. I don't think the movie earned that much "happiness" through what we'd seen.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6936 on: October 03, 2009, 11:32:08 AM »

Once - 7/10

Very touching movie, great acting, some very good music, good dialogues, terrible camerawork. I heard Spielberg loves the movie.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: October 03, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »

I more took issue with Lancaster's sister walking off to an apparently happy future, which was presented as a happy ending. I don't think the movie earned that much "happiness" through what we'd seen.
That's more or less what I was talking about too. The stuff with Curtis is handled well, but the sister's story is phony as hell. There's a great moment when Lancaster comes in after Curtis has saved the girl from killing herself, and Lancaster mis-interprets what has been going on. When Curtis appeals to the girl to explain she clams up, knowing that Curtis will thereby get a beating. That's the perfect moment, showing she has just crossed over to the dark side. But then she gets cold feet and tries to break things up, which is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Finally, the last shot of the film actually has her walking into the light as the dawn of a new day breaks! Gaaaaaaaaaggg!

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: October 03, 2009, 12:03:15 PM »

Once - 7/10

Very touching movie, great acting, some very good music, good dialogues, terrible camerawork. I heard Spielberg loves the movie.

Only a 7? You cold-hearted bastard.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: October 03, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »

That's more or less what I was talking about too. The stuff with Curtis is handled well, but the sister's story is phony as hell. There's a great moment when Lancaster comes in after Curtis has saved the girl from killing herself, and Lancaster mis-interprets what has been going on. When Curtis appeals to the girl to explain she clams up, knowing that Curtis will thereby get a beating. That's the perfect moment, showing she has just crossed over to the dark side. But then she gets cold feet and tries to break things up, which is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Finally, the last shot of the film actually has her walking into the light as the dawn of a new day breaks! Gaaaaaaaaaggg!

I overlooked the sister's role in the final moments, but you guys are right. However, everything leading up to that point is perfect, so in no way would I say the film is tarnished because of the mishandling of a supporting character in a crucial moment. I'm sure it was altered by the studio.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6940 on: October 03, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »

I never said it was significantly tarnished. That's Jinkster.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: October 03, 2009, 02:24:17 PM »

Yeah, I know, the post was basically taking issue with DJ's assessment, not yours.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: October 03, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »

Kenju zankoku monogatari/Cruel Gun Story (1964) - 7/10. A mobster (Joe "the chipmunk" Shishido) gets out of prison and is recruited by his bosses to pull an armored car robbery, but things don't quite go as expected. Lots of double crosses and plenty of gun battles. Except for one girl in a wheelchair, every character we're introduced to gets shot to death, and there's a blazing inferno at the end. Fun!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6943 on: October 03, 2009, 09:22:51 PM »

The Informant! - 8/10 - Starts out a bit unfocused and obnoxiously chirpy (particularly the silly muzak score), but as the film moves along, one discovers there's a reason for that. I didn't find it ha ha funny so much as amusing, though I loved Damon's WTF "narration" which should have given me a heads-up where it was all going. Interesting story which makes its points without being overly obnoxious like Tony Gilroy's recent "corporations are bad" screeds. Damon was great and the supporting cast was pretty good (particularly Scott Bakula's befuddled G-Man). A good film that probably doesn't need a rewatch.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:25:24 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: October 04, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »

Oyu-sama/Miss Oyu (1951) - 10/10. At a traditional omiyai, a Meiji-period businessman is introduced to his intended, but prefers her widowed--yet nonetheless forbidden--sister. An orgy of abnegation follows.  This is a Mizoguchi adaptation of a Tanizaki novel, with the great Kinuyo Tanaka in the central role. Proof, once again, that careful exploration of Japanese culture provides better ground for exotica than the most fantastic science fiction.

Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM