Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:25:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766830 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7020 on: October 18, 2009, 09:25:20 PM »

Didn't want to leave you out in the cold.

That's nice of you.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: October 19, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »

Village of the Damned (1960)  5\10

Children of the Damned (1963) 5\10

B-movies, very cheap-looking, that are visibly inferior to the model Invasion of Body-Snatchers.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: October 19, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »

Le notti di Cabiria (1957) dir. Fellini,  just great,  saw it the whole way through on The Sundance Channel last night, before I had only seen the very beginning where Cabiria is pushed into the canal by her lover. 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: October 19, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »

Le notti di Cabiria (1957) dir. Fellini,  just great,  saw it the whole way through on The Sundance Channel last night, before I had only seen the very beginning where Cabiria is pushed into the canal by her lover. 10/10
Joe, we are in complete agreement here. This is the only Fellini film I like, but he really hit it out of the park.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7024 on: October 19, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »

Watched part of Modern Times in Western Civ. today - techinically the whole thing, but about half of it was fast-forwarded for God knows what reason. What I saw in comprehensible format left me cold (to your pleas of mercy).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7025 on: October 21, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »

Ogro - 7/10 - A pretty cool Pontecorvo film that explores issues of terrorism and revolution as before, although it's a bit more focused on the day-to-day lives of the terrorist protagonists and their work - almost Day of the Jackal with explosives. Here, however, he seems to have cooled a bit on the idea of violent revolution, advocating the glacial pace of democratization and liberalism to reform the government (at least in this instance). The character interaction between Volonte and the other gentleman was a bit frosty, and the film certainly lacks the chilling immediacy of The Battle of Algiers, but it's still worth a look.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: October 21, 2009, 06:37:51 PM »

Buuel: Athe grce Dieu (2005) - 7/10

A good little documentary about Luis Buuel and La voie lacte, with personal insight from his friends and collaborators.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: October 22, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »

Battle beneath the earth 4/6

US fights Chinese under earth.....okay I guess  Azn

Disagree re : Village of Damned.......I found it fantastically entertaining and well acted  Cool

Children of Damned on the other hand wasn't that good.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:59:28 PM by Big Boss 1971 » Logged

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7028 on: October 23, 2009, 03:22:24 PM »

The Man From Laramie - 9/10 - The previous Mann Westerns I'd seen left me a bit cold, but this one was very nice. Great depth of character, which I really appreciated - particularly the hat trick of fine villains. Stewart is at his best and Crisp and Kennedy are equally strong. Nice cinematography, great score, lots of excellent set pieces - what's not to like?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: October 23, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »

Great depth of character, which I really appreciated - particularly the hat trick of fine villains. Stewart is at his best and Crisp and Kennedy are equally strong. Nice cinematography, great score, lots of excellent set pieces - what's not to like?
Uhhhh . . . the stupid plot?

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: October 23, 2009, 11:21:47 PM »

Bronson. fucking awesome.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: October 24, 2009, 07:06:57 AM »

dol včel (Valley of Bees, 1967) - 9/10

After having wanted to see this for years, I couldn't help but see it as a bit of a letdown. There's one moment early in the film where it's rather obvious that a dummy double was used; later on in the film, when it proceeds towards tragedy, I sort of missed out on some of the motivations of some of the characters... Vladimr Krner, author of the script, says in an interview in the bonus section that he and Frantiek Vlčil (the director) had different concepts and it was a rather troubled journey to find a common ground, even though the director loved his idea from the begining. And a film historian, Pavel Taussig, says that Vlčil originally wasn't satisfied with Petr Čepek, the actor who plays the young hero of the story, at all - and I can see why, I had hard time getting used to his acting, and even though I could identify with the character's motives perfectly well, I couldn't identify with the character.

But as you can see from my rating, these are rather minor problems. Smiley Above all, I really liked Jan Kačer here (and I liked him as the 007 parody in Konec agenta W4C as well, so I'm beginning to think I might really like him in general...). He says in the interview that he spent about a month getting seriously prepared for his role of a fanatic knight of a military-monastic order, fasting and reading old books on the subject; and I think it shows... in his general attitude. He somehow manages to bring something sympathetic and human into the character that otherwise could have turned out as a very negative one. So I even found myself rooting for him rather than Čepek's hero... I wonder whether it was meant that way.

EDIT to add: Also, there's something a bit Leonesque in the way shots of landscape/whole rooms and shots of human faces alternate in it. It's not exactly the same thing, but no less impressive.
Please, remind me of the proper terms for this. Tongue

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:12:57 AM by marmota-b » Logged

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7032 on: October 24, 2009, 08:51:36 AM »

Uhhhh . . . the stupid plot?

Cayah to elaborate Jenkins? I tink yah supposition is on thin ice!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: October 24, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »

Doesn't the Stewart character turn out to be some kind of government agent? It just kicks the whole revenge angle in the head. And then the whole idea that ranchers would be running guns to the Indians--I always hate it when stories make characters operate contrary to interest.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: October 24, 2009, 09:48:58 AM »

The Spanish Prisoner (1997)
- 7/10

Not badly written or acted but surprisingly unappealing.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM