Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:28:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765162 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7065 on: November 03, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »

You should watch The Band Wagon (1953), if you haven't already. That, like, Rain, seems to be an exception for those who have any aversions towards the genre. I'm somewhere in the middle, I guess.
Yeah, that and Singin' in the Rain are my two favorite musicals too (and third would have to be Paint Your Wagon). Another I've recently discovered which I rather like is Torch Song (with Joan Crawford and Michael Wilding). There aren't many else I can stand, though (I will kill anyone who tries to make me watch My Fair Lady or The Sound of Music again).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7066 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »

I like Rent quite a bit (or used to, I may have grown out of it). And A Hard Day's Night. And some Disney films. And The Ruling Class if that counts as a musical. That's pretty much it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: November 03, 2009, 10:12:42 PM »

Fury at Furnace Creek Dir Bruce Humberstone with Victor Mature, Coleen Gray, Glenn Langan, Reginald Gardiner, Albert Dekker, Charles Kemper, a good little noir-ish Western by the same director that did "I wake Up Screaming" a nice balance of outdoor locations with interior and town sets and a good story with a love interest that doesn't intrude. Worth renting from Netflix 7/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7068 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »

A Bridge Too Far - 9/10 - 2nd viewing.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: November 06, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »

Kansas City (1995) - It never ends. 5\10 just for the music and some period recreation.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7070 on: November 06, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »

Jubal - 8/10 - Very good although a bit talky. Nice landscape cinematography, Ford surprisingly good, interesting plot. Borgnine is excellent, Valerie French is absolutely smouldering, Felicia Farr lovely, nice early-career part for Chuck Bronson, Steiger is... Steiger with a truly bizarre cowboy accent. (Of course, Steiger and bizarre accent pretty much go hand-in-hand.) The supposed Othello parallels are fairly general and only make up part of the story. Some obvious points of reference for OUATITW which I'm sure have been pointed out.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: November 06, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »

In the 30 Westerns in Once thread, in fact. But you've covered the film well, Grogs. The film is an "8" and your take is a "10."

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7072 on: November 06, 2009, 09:39:20 PM »

Nicholas and Alexandra - 7/10 - Apparently Sam Spiegel got pissed off by David Lean's extraordinary success with Doctor Zhivago and decided to try and do him one better. He tries to rework the Lawrence formula: get a big name prestige director (Franklin Schaffner of Patton and Planet of the Apes), two very talented "unknown" actors (Michael Jayson and Janet Suzman) surrounded by a platoon of fine character actors, a Revolutionary Russia setting (with many scenes and locations taken almost wholesale from Zhivago), and, while we're at it, several of Lean's "dedicated maniacs" (Freddie Young, John Box, Eddie Fowlie). The result is a mostly good film that desperately wants to be a masterpiece but never gets there. The film wanders a bit too much, the script is rather stiff and didactic, and the film spends a lot time trying to be "tasteful" and "regal". The first half is appropriately dramatic, but after Rasputin's death and Nicholas's abdication, the second half drags like nobody's business - at least until the genuinely striking denouement, which redeems a lot. Jayson and Suzman are both excellent as the Tsar and Tsarina. The supporting cast is mostly good, with fine turns by Tom Baker, Laurence Olivier, Michael Bryant, Harry Andrews and John McEnery (also look for a very young Brian Cox as Trotsky), plus a fun cameo by Curt Jurgens, though a sickly Jack Hawkins (adorned with a ludicrous mustache) is wasted. And a nice score too. I think it's better than its reputation indicates, though it falls short of what Spiegel was aiming for (though it's not MUCH worse than Zhivago, for what that's worth).

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:46:34 PM by Groggy » Logged

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: November 07, 2009, 01:06:45 AM »

Only a 7? If it weren't for OUATIA, I'd say Paris, Texas is the best movie of the 80s.
I probably shouldn't have rated the movie in the first place because I can't really decide what to think of it. I very much liked the visuals too and the dreamlike atmosphere of the whole thing but it's the story that I had problems with; it seems unsure of its direction. At first (the first 15-20 minutes) the question seems to be 'where has this guy Travis been for four years?', then 'how can these people (Travis, Walt, Anne and Hunter) adjust to this new situation and most importantly: can Hunter see Travis as his father?'. As soon as Hunter accepts Travis, they go and start looking for Jane, and Walt and Anne - both very interesting characters - are totally forgotten about. The search is over rather soon and the new question is 'can Travis forgive Jane and tell her the truth?'. But then again their final encounter is totally about their marriage and what went wrong with it. I find that scene very powerful but it just seems to come out of nowhere: up to this point we have been led to believe that none of that stuff (what happened their marriage and why did they go their separate ways?) is relevant to this story.   

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: November 07, 2009, 06:22:33 AM »

Chuka Directed by Gordon Douglas,  is tedious, tedious, tedious, couldn't wait for it to end. Compare this snooze fest to "A FistFul Of Dollars" and its easy to see why the Spaghetti Western exploded onto the stage. With a pretty good cast of Rod Taylor, Ernest Borgnine, John Mills, Luciana Paluzzi, Veronica Kleitz, and James Whitmore, you think it would have been at least watchable. Avoid this one. 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7075 on: November 07, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »

John Mills in a Western? Oy.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: November 07, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »

I probably shouldn't have rated the movie in the first place because I can't really decide what to think of it. I very much liked the visuals too and the dreamlike atmosphere of the whole thing but it's the story that I had problems with; it seems unsure of its direction. At first (the first 15-20 minutes) the question seems to be 'where has this guy Travis been for four years?', then 'how can these people (Travis, Walt, Anne and Hunter) adjust to this new situation and most importantly: can Hunter see Travis as his father?'. As soon as Hunter accepts Travis, they go and start looking for Jane, and Walt and Anne - both very interesting characters - are totally forgotten about. The search is over rather soon and the new question is 'can Travis forgive Jane and tell her the truth?'. But then again their final encounter is totally about their marriage and what went wrong with it. I find that scene very powerful but it just seems to come out of nowhere: up to this point we have been led to believe that none of that stuff (what happened their marriage and why did they go their separate ways?) is relevant to this story.   

Had Stockwell and his wife been more involved in the second half of the film, it would become just another kidnapping film. Once his wife was introduced on the home movies, the story is about finding her, at least, to me it is.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: November 07, 2009, 05:20:56 PM »

Moon(2009)
I found this movie by chance and I had strangely never heard of it. I'm sure it was never in cinemas around these parts. Its' pretty good for a sci-fi as I normally can't stand this genre. Once a certain plotpoint is revealed it gets a little bit predictable but there's still some surprises.
An impressive feat for the actor too. I've never seen him before and he is pretty much alone the whole movie with a challenging role.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7078 on: November 07, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »

The Men Who Stare At Goats - 6-7/10 - Meh, about as good as what the title and subject matter would suggest. No real flow, no real point, mostly an episodic, silly mess that has enough funny bits in it to make it passably worthwhile. McGregor and Clooney are good but Jeff Bridges playing the Dude in an Army uniform gets old pretty fast, and Spacey is a complete waste. Stephen Lang has a sizeable role, it seems that he's in the midst of a career renaissance (he's also in Avatar it would appear). The film choses not to make any political statements which given the subject matter might have been appropriate (I personally would have preferred a film that questioned why the fuck the Army would waste time and money on something like this, rather than cheerily accepting it as cool), and the title is a misnomer - we see only a few moments of actual goat staring. The film eventually loses steam, particularly in the lame ending, but it's got enough funny bits to make it worth a viewing.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:51:37 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7079 on: November 07, 2009, 09:37:44 PM »

The Duellists - 5/10 - A poor man's Barry Lyndon without most of that film's redeeming qualities, save the gorgeous cinematography and a few nice duels. Bad casting, painfully slow pace, paper-thin characters and complete lack of narrative drive make it a chore to sit through. A pity, as I had such high expectations going in, though maybe I shouldn't be surprised at being let down by a Ridley Scott film by this point.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:40:32 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM