Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:46:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1835056 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7140 on: November 21, 2009, 07:03:05 AM »

Touch Of Evil Just love these bordertown/south of the border films, this one is always a fun watch, from Dennis Weaver's over the top Don Knotts type motel manager, to the absurd looking Heston, anyway Janet Leigh, the locations, and the cinematography are just candy to my eyes.

ZaZa Gabor and Marlene Dietrich have great cameos. 10/10

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:21:50 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7141 on: November 21, 2009, 10:47:44 AM »

Jenkins won't like this.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: November 21, 2009, 11:36:55 AM »

Kill Bill Vol.1- 8 or 9 about

American Psycho
- 8 funny as ever Grin

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7143 on: November 21, 2009, 11:16:23 PM »

Tunes of Glory - 8/10 - 2nd viewing

A Man for All Seasons - 9/10 - somebody else go back and count

Thanks TCM. To think I could have watched the new Twilight film instead of movies that are actually good.

stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: November 22, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »

I'm trying something new with my netflix queue (of which I have one slot, due to a family plan): I've decided that I'm only going to rent the the two films that are recommended immediately after rating a film. First I cleared all the ratings on movies I had watched, so Netflix would have no idea what kind of films I like. Then I decided I would begin this process by renting one of the most acclaimed films of all time: The Godfather. Because I wanted them to send a new film to my house the day of arrival to Netflix, I put Citizen Kane as the second film (also because of its acclaim). This process of watching based on Netflix's recommendation is purely experimental, but I've surely suffered worse than a computer not knowing my personality.

The Godfather: 5/5
What else is new? I've enjoyed this movie since I was younger, and I knew I was going to be rating it highly when I sent it back. Not much else to say here.

Citizen Kane: 5/5
I've also seen this film before, and it's an interesting character study, although I find Kane himself to be a confused, somewhat pitiful man of contradictions.

Donnie Brasco: 4/5
Very well made, although not as fascinating or quick-paced as oh say Goodfellas. I actually found Pacino's performance to be just average.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:29:09 PM by stoicamerican » Logged
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: November 22, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »

In case anyone's curious the queue runs like this currently: I have Dead Man Walking rented (which was recommended along with Donnie Brasco) and I'll be watching it tonight.
1. Shadow of a Doubt (recommended from Citizen Kane).
2. The Way We Were (ditto).
3. Reservoir Dogs (recommended from Donnie Brasco).
4. Scarface (ditto).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:28:04 PM by stoicamerican » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: November 22, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »

Sounds like a plan, which Scarface? I'll assume the Pacino version.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: November 22, 2009, 02:48:15 PM »

Sounds like a plan, which Scarface? I'll assume the Pacino version.

Yup. I've seen it in bits and pieces, and it seems like a good enough movie, but De Palma's never struck me as a very consistent director. Sometimes his projects turn out well, and he certainly has a variety of influences and an interesting style, but other times his films are trite and mediocre. One film of his which I consider half-assed is Carrie. I can't complain about it in some regards, because it propelled Stephen King, an entertaining writer (a lot of people argue that he's overrated, or past his prime, etc., etc.) to fame, but it comes out as dull to me. Granted, it wasn't based on great material (I just said that I liked King, but what I've read of Carrie reminds me of paperback trash at times). Maybe that's just the fate most horror films take after awhile, but I still rank The Omen as a great film (and, like Carrie, it was made in the '70s, but it didn't use any of De Palma's fancy camera tricks, and it still seems like a more sophisticated film to me).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:27:04 PM by stoicamerican » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: November 22, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »

The Detective (1968) Dir. Gordon Douglas. Not a bad crime film with quite a cast including Frank Sinatra,    Lee Remick,  Ralph Meeker,  Jack Klugman,  Lloyd Bochner (Twilight Zone "To Serve Man"), William Windom,  Tony Musante,  Robert Duvall,  Sugar Ray Robinson,  and Jacqueline Bisset.  Of the films I've seen directed by Douglas some have been great some so-so, he was in the business since the Our Gang comedies, even directed Laurel & Hardy. 7/10

stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: November 22, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »

Dead Man Walking: 4/5 (7/10 to get more specific)
No doubt a lot of thought went into this film, but it didn't grasp me as much as you might expect. Although Sean Penn certainly put forth a good portrayal, and Susan Sarandon is likable as a meek nun, nothing about their characters really had me going. Still, Tim Robbins proves himself as an able-bodied director of films (he also did a stage production of 1984 at a nearby college (didn't see it though), so I guess he must be into directing).
Can't wait to get another movie from Netflix, because as of lately I haven't been watching movies as much, and I'd like to improve my film knowledge.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 02:25:26 PM by stoicamerican » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: November 22, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) -9/10. Does anything of Roald Dahl's original survive in this adaptation? I'll defer to the expertise of others (having never read the book) but my immediate feeling on watching this is that it is a Wes Anderson film like other Wes Anderson films, just with more stop-go animation.  As I happen to like Wes Anderson films, that is not a bad thing (the animation, btw, is at turns brilliant or clunky: close-ups and medium shots come off well, but long shots with motion tend to look amateurish). The title character, voiced by George Clooney, is a being we've met before: in Owen Wilson's Dignan, Jason Schwartzman's Max Fisher, and in Bill Murray's Steve Zissou. A modern Quixote figure, he maintains his drive and optimism in the face of a world dominated by low expectations. He sees the irony of his position, of course, but that knowledge does not defeat or deter him. He keeps on punching, and in Anderson's view, apparently, that's enough.

Late in the film Fox and his posse see a wolf in the distance. Wolves get frequent mention in the script, acquiring over the course of the picture some kind of totemic significance. I guess for Fox (and Anderson), who is a bourgeois rebel, the wolf represents the ultimate outsider. Fox cannot communicate with the wolf, and after several unsuccessful attempts, settles for an exchange of salutes. It's not much, but it's something. So also with Anderson's Cinema of Gestures. There's little of depth in it, but the outward show keeps us watching for a time. It's a mild, pleasant form of entertainment.  We could do worse.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: November 22, 2009, 08:14:23 PM »

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006) Watched this bizarre flick with the wife again, check it out if you haven't 9/10

PS the book its based on is great.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:25:01 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7152 on: November 23, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »

JFK - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. Now how I do approach a review of the film?

Whalestoe
« Reply #7153 on: November 23, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »

JFK - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. Now how I do approach a review of the film?

Something like the "For total bullshit, I like this movie" approach?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7154 on: November 23, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »

That's roughly what I came up with.

Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM