Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 07:52:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843469 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7170 on: November 27, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »

A Serious Man (2009) - 11/10. Before seeing this I knew almost nothing about it (besides that it was a Coen Bros. film), and it is so artfully made it wasn't until afterwards, several hours in fact, that, upon reflection,  I finally realized it is a modern--and therefore ironic--retelling of the Story of Job. Even the title participates in the irony--Job was, of course, "a good man;" in 1967 America (the setting of the film--immaculately detailed) the best a Jew can be is, I guess, "serious." We are reminded again and again, however, that the hero has done nothing wrong; the plethora of woes that descend upon him are, par for the course, undeserved. But how funny it all is. And the theme of the original tale--the inscrutability of God in his dealings with Mankind--is preserved but nonetheless enhanced by all the humor. Woody Allen wishes he could make a film this good (I'm thinking it's the Coen's masterpiece). According to formula, the good--er, serious--man has everything restored to him (or does he? the irony continues with a final twist) and then, in the very last scene, the whirlwind arrives. But before we get a chance to see if it contains any kind of revelation, the Coen's make their final ironic move with a cut to the credits as the Airplane comes up on the soundtrack ( "Somebody To Love" is used several times as a cultural referent, but it also sets up a great joke late in the picture). A brilliant film that treads the fine line between the commercial and the artsy-fartsy. But does the viewer have to know the Job formula to appreciate the film? Well, as the rabbi said, it couldn't hurt.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: November 27, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »

A Serious Man (2009) - 11/10. Before seeing this I knew almost nothing about it (besides that it was a Coen Bros. film), and it is so artfully made it wasn't until afterwards, several hours in fact, that, upon reflection,  I finally realized it is a modern--and therefore ironic--retelling of the Story of Job. Even the title participates in the irony--Job was, of course, "a good man;" in 1967 America (the setting of the film--immaculately detailed) the best a Jew can be is, I guess, "serious." We are reminded again and again, however, that the hero has done nothing wrong; the plethora of woes that descend upon him are, par for the course, undeserved. But how funny it all is. And the theme of the original tale--the inscrutability of God in his dealings with Mankind--is preserved but nonetheless enhanced by all the humor. Woody Allen wishes he could make a film this good (I'm thinking it's the Coen's masterpiece). According to formula, the good--er, serious--man has everything restored to him (or does he? the irony continues with a final twist) and then, in the very last scene, the whirlwind arrives. But before we get a chance to see if it contains any kind of revelation, the Coen's make their final ironic move with a cut to the credits as the Airplane comes up on the soundtrack ( "Somebody To Love" is used several times as a cultural referent, but it also sets up a great joke late in the picture). A brilliant film that treads the fine line between the commercial and the artsy-fartsy. But does the viewer have to know the Job formula to appreciate the film? Well, as the rabbi said, it couldn't hurt.

Thanx, I will skip on this.

Whalestoe
« Reply #7172 on: November 27, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »

Thanx, I will not skip on this.

Thanks, DJ. I've been wanting to see it for awhile.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: November 27, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »

Thanks, DJ. I've been wanting NOT to see it for awhile.

Afro

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: November 27, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »

yo titoli you're a fucking faggot, take the cock out of your ass and/or mouth

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: November 27, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »

Matewan - 10/10

I loved this movie. Now one of my favorites.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: November 27, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »

yo titoli you're a fucking faggot, take the cock out of your ass and/or mouth

Why should I?  Shocked

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: November 29, 2009, 07:44:07 AM »

The Devil And Daniel Webster (1941) WOW! Caught this last night on TCM I've seen it once before but only from the trial to the end and seeing the whole thing this go around (I missed maybe 5 minutes) I was pretty blown away.

Basically its about a farmer down on his luck that sells his soul to the Devil who will return in 7 years to re negotiate the contract or collect. James Craig is farmer Jabez Stone, Jane Darwell is his mother, Ma Stone,  Anne Shirley is his wife Mary Stone, Edward Arnold is great as Daniel Webster, Simone Simon is bewitching as nanny/seductress Belle, and Walter Huston is fantastic as Mr. Scratch (The Devil).

This is one well done noir-ish and creepy film for its time, its available on Criterion, I'll have to get this. 10/10 Its alternative title is "All That Money Can Buy". Won an Oscar for best score. Definitely check this one out!  Afro Afro Afro

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033532/   

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:45:26 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: November 29, 2009, 02:16:02 PM »

Will finish Shadow of a Doubt later tonight and post about it. So far, it's watchable, but I honestly can't believe that I heard that this was Hitchcock's favorite... What of Notorious, Rear Window, and Psycho? Notorious is one of my favorite films of the '40s (I know some of you could probably think of ten better ones without even trying, but all that just goes to show how few films I've watched) along with Citizen Kane. Rear Window is an achievement by any serious film critic's account. And Psycho is still one of the most effective horror/suspense films ever, and it was made over 40 years ago.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7179 on: November 29, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »

I actually agree that Shadow of a Doubt is Hitch's best film, but IMO it's a film you need to watch multiple times.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: November 29, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »

I actually agree that Shadow of a Doubt is Hitch's best film, but IMO it's a film you need to watch multiple times.

Well I've got a whole life ahead of me (hopefully  Sad ), so I'll probably revisit it someday.
And I'll get a whole review up later.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: November 29, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »

Will finish Shadow of a Doubt later tonight and post about it. So far, it's watchable, but I honestly can't believe that I heard that this was Hitchcock's favorite... What of Notorious, Rear Window, and Psycho? Notorious is one of my favorite films of the '40s (I know some of you could probably think of ten better ones without even trying, but all that just goes to show how few films I've watched) along with Citizen Kane. Rear Window is an achievement by any serious film critic's account. And Psycho is still one of the most effective horror/suspense films ever, and it was made over 40 years ago.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8125.0

That's the place for Cock-talk. Cheesy

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: November 29, 2009, 03:11:10 PM »

Oh thanks.
I'll check that link out some more, but I'm still gonna post every film I see here.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: November 29, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »

Oh thanks.
I'll check that link out some more, but I'm still gonna post every film I see here.

I'm not saying to you what to do, it was just a suggestion. Smiley

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: November 29, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »

I'm not saying to you what to do, it was just a suggestion. Smiley

I know. Sorry if I sounded pretentious.

Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM