Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 04:16:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839686 times)
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: November 29, 2009, 06:02:31 PM »

Here goes my probably inadequate review of Shadow of a Doubt.

Shadow of a Doubt: 3.5/5
I hope I didn't give out the impression in my earlier posts that I disliked this film. I just thought it was a slower, and less comprehensible (I'll explain how in a second) than some of Hitchcock's other works. I liked Joseph Cotten's portrayal of a sociopath. He did a nice job keeping a balance of charm and disturbing thoughts. Also I recognized him as Kane's friend (what was his name...) from Citizen Kane, which I had the pleasure of seeing recently. I'm not without some criticism of this film: I thought that the relationship between Charlie and the detective came out of nowhere. They didn't seem to have any chemistry. And why was Charlie (the niece) so upset with her family at the beginning? Boredom? Angst? I'm not sure on either of them because Charlie didn't seem that bored (she seemed upset), and she also didn't seem like a pissy teenager. Also, I suppose I missed some crucial point regarding the waltz and its recurring dancers. How did the waltz tie into Charlie's (the uncle's) homicidal tendencies? All in all, a pretty good film, albeit one I'll probably have to rewatch some day.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7186 on: November 29, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »

The song is the Merry Widow Waltz, and Charlie is the Merry Widow Murderer.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stoicamerican
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: November 29, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »

Ohhh. Now I feel dumb.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7188 on: November 30, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - 4/10 - What the fuck is this shit? In this film we see Quentin Tarantino digressing to childhood and filming his garbled memories of spaghetti Westerns and martial arts flicks as best as he can remember them, which is fun for the childish and gore-lusting audience members, but not really for anyone else. QT indulges himself to a truly obnoxious degree here; instead of making something fresh and interesting of his parade of homages, he amps up the camp and thinks that if we see enough ridiculous fight scenes, extended anime digressions, quirky off-the-wall characters, self-consciously obnoxious dialogue, in-scene style transitions, and fountains of spurting blood, we'll think it's a fun movie. Well, it's not, at least in my opinion. Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu acquit themselves really well, and deserve a much better movie than they got. Part of me respects QT being a showman for showman's sake, but the overwhelming part of me wishes he'd made a good movie rather than a self-indulgent one. Hopefully Part 2 will be better.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:56:04 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: November 30, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »

More or less my thoughts.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Whalestoe
« Reply #7190 on: November 30, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »

Hopefully Part 2 will be better.

Keep hoping and save yourself some time. If you hated Vol. 1 that much... I just don't see any enjoyment coming from Vol. 2

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: November 30, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »

Keep hoping and save yourself some time. If you hated Vol. 1 that much... I just don't see any enjoyment coming from Vol. 2

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: November 30, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »

Great Day In The Morning (1956) Caught the Western just a few minutes ago directed by Jacques Tourneur  it stars Virginia Mayo, Robert Stack,    Ruth Roman, Alex Nicol, Raymond Burr, Leo Gordon, Regis Toomey, and Carleton Young.  I was surprised that I'd never heard of this Western before.

It takes place right at the start of the Civil War in Denver Colorado. Robert Stack is being attacked by Indians and is rescued by Virginia Mayo and Alex Nicol who he accompanies into Denver. Denver is run by a very rotund Raymond Burr as Jumbo Means the litteral heavy, lol,  who has The Circus Tent Saloon, which is pretty unique since its theme is Jumbo the Elephant, it has paintings on the walls of elephants even the trophy head of an elephant near the bar, very cool.

Anyway the town is torn into two factions North & South and Stack being a southerner is adopted by that faction while Burr is the head of the Unionists. Leo Gordon is a hot head northerner who is stirring up trouble. The southerners want to escape with their gold for the use by the secessionists. When Fort Sumter surrenders all hell breaks loose and the southerners attempt to escape Denver. There is a pretty good saloon shootout in this, Virginia Mayo (quite the rack and we see her in a bathtub to boot) and Ruth Roman are fighting for the affection of Stack, though there is no hair pulling contest  Cry.  It definitely looks like it was shot in Colorado, good but not great, check it out. 7/10

Colorado Territory (1949) One of the better Joel McCrea Westerns I've seen, a remake of "High Sierra", and IMHO its better than "High Sierra' 7.5/10

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:58:07 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7193 on: November 30, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - 4/10 - What the fuck is this shit?
Hopefully Part 2 will be better.

It will. Slower, with more dialogues and less action. And all in all, if you forget about the bad superman speech, dialogues are even pretty good. Not a great movie either, but it was still a good surprise for me.

Morever, it has Michael Madsen in it.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: November 30, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »

Colorado Territory (1949) One of the better William Holden Westerns I've seen, a remake of "High Sierra", and IMHO its better than "High Sierra' 7.5/10

I bet Rod Taylor was in it too, wasn't he?  Cool

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: November 30, 2009, 05:43:56 PM »

I bet Rod Taylor was in it too, wasn't he?  Cool

no not this one  Cheesy

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: November 30, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »

But how you came up with Holden?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: November 30, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »

Joel McCrea I must be loosing it, lol Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: December 01, 2009, 11:19:59 AM »

Also I recognized him as Kane's friend (what was his name...) from Citizen Kane
Jed Leland. Better watch the film a few more times! Cheesy

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: December 01, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - 4/10 - What the fuck is this shit? In this film we see Quentin Tarantino digressing to childhood and filming his garbled memories of spaghetti Westerns and martial arts flicks as best as he can remember them, which is fun for the childish and gore-lusting audience members, but not really for anyone else. QT indulges himself to a truly obnoxious degree here; instead of making something fresh and interesting of his parade of homages, he amps up the camp and thinks that if we see enough ridiculous fight scenes, extended anime digressions, quirky off-the-wall characters, self-consciously obnoxious dialogue, in-scene style transitions, and fountains of spurting blood, we'll think it's a fun movie. Well, it's not, at least in my opinion. Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu acquit themselves really well, and deserve a much better movie than they got. Part of me respects QT being a showman for showman's sake, but the overwhelming part of me wishes he'd made a good movie rather than a self-indulgent one. Hopefully Part 2 will be better.
I found Part I so uninspired that I avoided Part 2 for many years, but it probably is the better half. Hey, here's an idea: why not integrate Parts 1 and 2 into a single, slimmed-down version of the story? Yeah, that's the ticket . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM