Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 09:37:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767903 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7200 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »

I'm almost shocked you didn't like Part 1 Jinkies. I may check out Part 2 today if I get a chance (or Friday at the latest).

Has anyone raised this point with QT?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: December 01, 2009, 05:36:09 PM »

Narc (2002)

Great cop movie.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: December 01, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »

Bullet to Beijing (1995) - I got more of what I expected from this. Actually, if I hadn't bought the italian dvd, I'd never have dreamed of watching it. Harry Palmer in Russia? Well, it could be something like a continuation of Billion Dollar Brain. Of course it isn't.  But still, it would be a hard toss-up if I had to choose between this and the last of the Palmer movies of the '60's. Caine still looks the part. The siberian landscapes and the S.Petersburg location are good and the movies high points are when some details of russian daily life are given, like the very good sequence of the airplane journey to get back on the train. The plot is unscrutable, much more of what his '60's antecedents used to be, and occasionally childish. The action scenes are amateurish. Still, the dialougued parts with Palmer are fine, though much of the original '60's humor is gone, and it leaves much regret about what it could have been with just a little more work on the  story. 6\10

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: December 01, 2009, 06:13:53 PM »

I found Part I so uninspired that I avoided Part 2 for many years, but it probably is the better half. Hey, here's an idea: why not integrate Parts 1 and 2 into a single, slimmed-down version of the story? Yeah, that's the ticket . . .

I would love to see a 90 min version of both movies, but only if the restaurant scene is left alone. That, to me, IS the movie or series.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: December 02, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »

Bullet to Beijing (1995) - I got more of what I expected from this. Actually, if I hadn't bought the italian dvd, I'd never have dreamed of watching it. Harry Palmer in Russia? Well, it could be something like a continuation of Billion Dollar Brain. Of course it isn't.  But still, it would be a hard toss-up if I had to choose between this and the last of the Palmer movies of the '60's. Caine still looks the part. The siberian landscapes and the S.Petersburg location are good and the movies high points are when some details of russian daily life are given, like the very good sequence of the airplane journey to get back on the train. The plot is unscrutable, much more of what his '60's antecedents used to be, and occasionally childish. The action scenes are amateurish. Still, the dialougued parts with Palmer are fine, though much of the original '60's humor is gone, and it leaves much regret about what it could have been with just a little more work on the  story. 6\10

If Harry Palmer's last appearance from the 60s floats around a 6/10, then for me this is worth like a 3, maybe 3.5 out of 10.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: December 04, 2009, 03:05:44 AM »

hells Heroes (1929) only saw last 1/2 based on that I'll still give it a 7/10. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: December 04, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »

Funny People: very high score out of something

Coming into this I knew many complained there were two plots, rather, two movies but the structure was closer to Cassavetes' HUSBANDS than the old Jack Warner "take two scripts, make one movie" trick. I only took issue with the overload of cameos, especially the scene in the bar with Ray Romano, which was unnecessary. Everything else was pretty much spot on. This is easily Apatow's best movie and never once--well outside of that bar scene--did it drag unmercifully like KNOCKED UP and VIRGIN. I'm just really glad that I actually enjoyed something that came from lollywood.

Also, I would like to note that never once did this movie get too sappy/take itself too seriously, nor were there contrived, zany comedic moments that throw the pace off in his earlier works--which lose a lot of its luster upon a re-watch. I may actually enjoy this one more the second time around, though that might be too bold of a statement.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:35:31 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: December 04, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »

The Proposition

Fantastic film. It just has that perfect element that makes it work.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7208 on: December 04, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »

Sin City - 7-8(?)/10 - I liked this, surprisingly enough (was expecting to hate it), though the degree is open to question. On the plus side, I really liked the visual style - a bit over-the-top at times, but generally very effective and absorbing, and not just a gimmick as I was expecting. Most of the cast is great: Bruce Willis is excellent, Clive Owen has rarely been more tolerable, Rosario Dawson hot beyond belief, Mickey Rourke is both funny and pathetic, and a nice Powers Boothe cameo to boot. The stories were interesting although they could have done a better job of joining them together (I don't know what the bookend scenes with Josh Hartnett had to do with anything). On the negative side, I hated the over-the-top pseudo-noir dialogue, some of the individual parts didn't quite work (Nick Stahl with the Big Orange Head? gimme a break), and one could argue that the movie's portrayal of females is rather off-putting. But nothing too bad to detract from it. I don't know if I'd watch it again but it was an interesting two hours.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: December 05, 2009, 08:22:06 AM »

Last Saturday I watched on Cinemax "Basic Instinct" for the first time since I saw it when first out.  OK, this film is most-remembered for the interrogation scene, but overall, it's quite a good film, and maybe the best Hitchock homage I've seen.  Sharon Stone has her hair near the beginning very similar to Kim Novak's in Vertigo, the music and scenes of San Francisco are extrememly Vertigo-like.  I was very impressed.  I believe this version was the director's cut, not the theatrical version.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7210 on: December 05, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »

I saw it for the second time last summer. I was pretty impressed too, and i also felt that Vertigo-like atmosphere. People tend to think it's just about Sharon Stone being sexy, but there is a lot more than that, and it's very well crafted. The only negative point I can highlight is the fact that it's always a bit over the top (just think of the reactions of the guys in the interrogation scene... it's almost cartoonish). It's not a big deal, but that's what keeps this movie in the "good movie" league when many of its aspects deserve the "very good" league.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: December 05, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »

Millers Crossing good

Apt Pupil great ending

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: December 06, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »

The Great Scout and Cathouse Thursday (1976) 7/10. In spite of some tedious slapstick used to fill out the time, this is a rather amusing burlesque of horse opera conventions. Lee Marvin is the Great Scout, Kay Lenz is Thursday, Oliver Reed is the Harvard-educated Indian, and Strother Martin is, as always, Strother Martin. With excellent support from Robert Culp, Sylvia Miles, and a foul-mouthed Elizabeth Ashley. To my way of thinking, it's funnier than Blazing Saddles, but see for yourself: http://www.hulu.com/watch/113119/great-scout-and-cathouse-thursday

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: December 06, 2009, 11:35:33 PM »

Lee Marvin. I'm sold.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: December 07, 2009, 05:50:09 AM »

Death of A Chinese Bookie (1976) caught the last 1/4 of this on the Sundance Channel this morning looks low budget gangster flick but interesting, may have to check the whole thing out sometime but not anytime soon 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM