Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:48:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834776 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7215 on: December 07, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »

Lee Marvin. I'm sold.

Strother Martin. I'm sold.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: December 07, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »

Death of A Chinese Bookie (1976) caught the last 1/4 of this on the Sundance Channel this morning looks low budget gangster flick but interesting, may have to check the whole thing out sometime but not anytime soon 6/10
There's two versions of this (I think the actual title is "Killing of a Chinese Bookie"). Any idea which one you watched?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: December 07, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »

There's two versions of this (I think the actual title is "Killing of a Chinese Bookie"). Any idea which one you watched?

I've seen the 135 min. version of 'Bookie' and it was at least 25-30 mins. too long, and this is coming from a biased Cassavetes mark.

The SD channel is now showing the 110 min version, but I haven't seen it yet.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: December 08, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »

Leviathan (1989) - 2/10

Maybe my rating doesn't show it but this movie is great for one fact alone - it steals material from literally every Sci-Fi/Horror project ever made, and gives abso-bloody-lutely nothing in return.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7219 on: December 08, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »

L.A Confidential rocks!

Manhattan 9/10
Third viewing. Best Woody Allen. Great dialogues, good acting, very good cinematography (!! and that's a woody allen film!!). Very funny and somehow very touching.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7220 on: December 11, 2009, 03:31:47 PM »

Little Big Man - 7/10 - Reminded me a great deal of The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean in terms of its irreverent "revisionist" atmosphere, its episodic story and its hit-and-miss quality. I liked most of it, although I had a hard time swallowing Hoffman as a gunfighter-Indian-Indian scout-hermit-etc. Most of the humor was a bit too broad for my taste but the story structure and more serious scenes (particularly the Washita Massacre) are generally carried of. The portrayal of Custer is just dumb; he may have been an egomaniac but he wasn't a sub-mental moron or lunatic. Not to mention the Little Big Horn Battle bore pretty much no resemblance to the real thing. The gay Indian was just annoying and probably in bad taste. On the other hand, Jeff Corey is fun in a cameo, Chief Dan George is great and Faye Dunaway was quite erection-inspiring. So, meh.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:01:22 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7221 on: December 11, 2009, 06:41:08 PM »

Hard Times - 7/10 - Nice gritty, low-key, compact little drama with great performances by Bronson and Coburn. Thanks to Crackle for providing this.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: December 11, 2009, 10:31:01 PM »

8 Diagram Pole Fighter- My favorite out of the Shaw Bros. films I've seen

Cheech and Chong Up In Smoke- no plot to it but its still funny

Le Samourai- Just Fantastic

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: December 11, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »

Invictus (2009) - 6/10. Is it possible to love this film without first loving rugby? Even so, the 1995 World Cup isn't the most exciting match ever held. Sure, the All Blacks were the team to beat that year, and the film does a good job of positioning them as the Springbok's (heh) bÍte noire, but a 15-12 match that consists merely of trading goals with nary a try? Eastwood did his best here, and I enjoyed the film while it lasted, but the moment I left my seat the movie pretty much emptied out of my mind. I think Morgan Freeman is in it somewhere.

Me and Orson Welles
(2009) - 8/10. The boy-from-the-sticks-who-gets-caught-up-in-the-big-Broadway-show routine is pretty unremarkable, exceedingly predictable, and, not to put too fine a point on it, trite (and Zac Efron as the boy is pretty annoying), but the reason to nonetheless see this film is for Christian McKay's performance as Orson Welles. Unlike the other actors who never for a minute convince as members of the Mercury Theater--James Tupper as Joe Cotton, Eddie Marsdan as John Houseman, Leo Bill as Norman Lloyd, and Ben Chaplin as George Coulouris--McKay has the face, voice, and mannersims of the Great One. You will absolutely believe he is Orson Welles. The story of Welles's 1937 staging of Julius Caesar is an interesting subject to begin with, and we get all the backstage shenanigans as well as excerpts from opening night entertainingly re-imagined. I guess the Efron character is necessary to provide the audience entree to Welles and his world, but it is a necessary evil. Here's hoping Christian McKay gets a chance to tour a one-man show called--what else?-- An Evening With Orson Welles.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7224 on: December 11, 2009, 11:08:44 PM »

Your comments on Invictus pretty much confirm my expectations. Of course I wasn't planning to like Gran Torino either and was pleasantly surprised.

Me and Orson Welles doesn't really look that interesting, and the presence of that High School Musical turd is a real incentive to avoid it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7225 on: December 12, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »

Three Godfathers - 8/10 - Pretty silly but lots of fun, great use of Technicolor, John Wayne in top form, nice supporting turns by Harry Carey Jr., Pedro Armendariz, Ward Bond and other members of the Ford stock company.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is playing in the background as I study for finals. Thanks TCM.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: December 12, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »

Up In the Air (2009) - 7/10. Some great performances and a lot of humor, the plot, however, is pretty lame with a twist you can see coming 5 reels away. So why didn't George Clooney's character anticipate it? We're supposed to believe that he's both  Mr. Worldly Wise and hopelessly naive? And the film's message--relationships require committment--isn't exactly something to text home about. But the dialogue is good and the performances are, as I said, excellent. Provides a pleasant 2-hours diversion, anyway.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:41:42 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7227 on: December 12, 2009, 03:49:40 PM »

Little Big Man - 7/10 - Reminded me a great deal of The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean in terms of its irreverent "revisionist" atmosphere, its episodic story and its hit-and-miss quality. I liked most of it, although I had a hard time swallowing Hoffman as a gunfighter-Indian-Indian scout-hermit-etc. Most of the humor was a bit too broad for my taste but the story structure and more serious scenes (particularly the Washita Massacre) are generally carried of. The portrayal of Custer is just dumb; he may have been an egomaniac but he wasn't a sub-mental moron or lunatic. Not to mention the Little Big Horn Battle bore pretty much no resemblance to the real thing. The gay Indian was just annoying and probably in bad taste. On the other hand, Jeff Corey is fun in a cameo, Chief Dan George is great and Faye Dunaway was quite erection-inspiring. So, meh.

Am I the only one around who thinks this movie is one of the 10 greatest films of all time?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: December 12, 2009, 10:13:46 PM »

Am I the only one around who thinks this movie is one of the 10 greatest films of all time?
Yes.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: December 13, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »

No offense, noodles, but I would hope so.

Groggy's review summed up my thoughts, more of less. Maybe I'd be a little more negative.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM