Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:12:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1829898 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7245 on: December 15, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »

Cheyenne Autumn - 6-7/10 - I'm torn on what to think of this one. Despite its length, slow pace and many digressions it's never boring - if nothing else there's the gorgeous Monument Valley scenery to admire - and has some genuinely great scenes, and it does get its point across very well. The movie's biggest problem is that the characters are practically non-existent; aside from Widmark's conflicted cavalry officers the whites are pretty much either evil racists or virtuous hand-wringing liberals, with little in-between. And aside from Sal Mineo and Dolores Del Rio none of the Indians registers as anything more than a symbol. The Wyatt Earp vignette is baffling; I assume it's meant to be comic relief but it serves as little more than excuse to get Jimmy Stewart and various members of the Ford stock company into the film. I have no idea why the hell it was even filmed - at least Edward G. Robinson's scenes provide context and tie into the story - but anyway. The extended concentration camp scenes in part rub me the wrong way; the treatment of the Cheyenne here is harrowing, but casting Karl Malden as a German with a Hitler mustache mouthing "I am only following orders" is beyond obnoxious. The anti-climactic ending just doesn't seem right; it appears to be historically accurate but it seems abrupt all things considered. The cast is generally decent with what they have, which often isn't much. Nice Alex North score too.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:59:59 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: December 16, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »

The Duellists - balls out of lol

It was terrible. I love Keitel and Keith Carradine but they don't belong in Napoleanoic France. Bascially, the movie is just a series of unexciting duels between the miscasted leads and a whole lot of Barry Lyndon posturing. Absolutely no character development to be found and all the jumping about through time periods made the 100 min film feel like 200. I'd take his brother's cheesy 80s movies and True Romance over Didley anyday.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:31:40 AM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7247 on: December 16, 2009, 09:24:22 AM »

Tuco Harmonica, you rule! And I'm not just saying that because of Claudia. Wink

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: December 16, 2009, 09:34:04 AM »

We have been on a streak in which we're agreeing with eachother on everything.  Afro

I haven't read your CA review yet but agree with your thoughts.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7249 on: December 16, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »

The Princess and the Frog - 8/10 - There's not a whole lot here that hasn't been seen before - in fact it follows the usual Disney formula almost to the letter - but therein lies its charm. While Pixar movies are all well and good up to a point, they're completely distinct entities from Classic and Early '90s Disney, something which has been sorely missing in the past few years. The hand-drawn (though 3-D enhanced) animation is absolutely gorgeous, the voice work is great (particularly Keith David as the evil voodoo master, and it's nice to see [hear?] Jim Cummings making a return to the big screen), some nice gags (the trumpet-playing alligator sneaking onto a river steamer was my favorite) and good though not great songs. The race issue is hardly dealt with at all, save one specific scene, and I'm really glad that the film wasn't an obnoxious mediation on tolerance - though it does become at times an obnoxious mediation on the benefits of hard work, which seems odd in a movie that's 75% about talking frogs. Worth watching, pretty slight and derivative but if you're a fan of Disney I'd definitely recommend it.

Whalestoe
« Reply #7250 on: December 17, 2009, 03:47:31 AM »

The Princess and the Frog - 8/10 - There's not a whole lot here that hasn't been seen before - in fact it follows the usual Disney formula almost to the letter - but therein lies its charm. While Pixar movies are all well and good up to a point, they're completely distinct entities from Classic and Early '90s Disney, something which has been sorely missing in the past few years. The hand-drawn (though 3-D enhanced) animation is absolutely gorgeous, the voice work is great (particularly Keith David as the evil voodoo master, and it's nice to see [hear?] Jim Cummings making a return to the big screen), some nice gags (the trumpet-playing alligator sneaking onto a river steamer was my favorite) and good though not great songs. The race issue is hardly dealt with at all, save one specific scene, and I'm really glad that the film wasn't an obnoxious mediation on tolerance - though it does become at times an obnoxious mediation on the benefits of hard work, which seems odd in a movie that's 75% about talking frogs. Worth watching, pretty slight and derivative but if you're a fan of Disney I'd definitely recommend it.

Convinced.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: December 17, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »

The Treasure of Sierra Madre

What a great film. Especially Bogart and Huston Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7252 on: December 17, 2009, 02:51:39 PM »

Hangmen Also Die! - 7-8/10 - It is, first of all, a very dated film. Besides the crappy video quality (which can be put down to a bad transfer/restoration) you have one-dimensional stereotyped sauerkraut hard-drinking and whoring rat swine Nazis and noble Czechs sporting mostly American accents, particularly obvious with Walter Brennan's old pappy accent coming from the mouth of a Czech intellectual, and Lionel Stander's bit as an accountably New York-ish taxi driver, with Gene Lockhart's Quisling character sporting a prominent British accent (Anna Lee's English but her accent is rather played down). Despite this and a general depth in characterization aside from Anna Lee's lovely heroine, the film is mostly very good: Lang's direction is wonderfully noirish, which suits the material well (it's as much a reverse police-procedural as a war/political film), and the movie really succeeds in showing the horrors and repression of life under brutal wartime occupation, which I imagine is the point. (Note also that none other than Bertoldt Brecht is the primary screenwriter!) Although not a lot of grisly carnage is shown, the wonderfully expressive direction and oppressive atmosphere gets the point across perfectly; it's very brutal and down-to-earth for what's basically a wartime propaganda flick, despite an upbeat ending. Some of the plot logic is a little too convenient, and the framing plot enacted at the end would be chillingly evil in, say, a Hitchcock film, even if the victim deserves it here. On the whole though, I recommend it.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:52:46 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: December 17, 2009, 05:36:23 PM »

Would you say that the presentation of the topic was "solemn"?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7254 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:53 PM »

I thought it was a lot more considered and serious than most of the other WWII-era war films that I've seen.

Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: December 18, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »

Gonna take some pix......a wonderful Terminator poster I'll be getting soon & a Hello Dolly 1sh where the colors are so vibrant it'll knock your socks off  Cheesy

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7256 on: December 18, 2009, 02:41:14 PM »

The Ladykillers - 8/10 - rewatch.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: December 18, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »

Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures

Great Documentary Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7258 on: December 18, 2009, 07:56:53 PM »

I caught part of that on TCM a few months back, it was pretty cool.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7259 on: December 19, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 1/10 - The first movie sucked but it was at least watchable. This movie on the other hand is utter drek, and utter drek that clocks in at 150 minutes to boot. Everything that was bad about the first movie is enhanced ten-fold here: overbearing special effects, incomprehenisble story, interminable scenes of more-or-less indistinguishable computer-generated robots hitting each other, Megan Fox, Shia LaBeouf, humor that goes beyond juvenile, banal music (that sounds like the Pirates of the Caribbean theme played backwards), allegedly "human" characters who never resemble anything above the fantasy of a 12 year old boy (and THAT's stretching it), Michael Bay's obnoxious swooshy camera style and chimps-on-meth editing style, blatantly obvious jingoism, and cliche after cliche after cliche. The new additions are a feminine robot ripped off from Terminator 3 (which makes no sense), gay dogs, mom on pot, an asinine, sub-moronic portrayal of college that makes Animal House look documentary-like, robot testicles, John Turturro's asscheeks, the now infamous Negrobots, and use of Wadi Rumm as a significant location - which means I'll never be able to watch Lawrence of Arabia again without thinking of giant robot balls. The only slight improvement is that they significantly narrowed the focus of the story, whereas the original had too many plotlines going on at once, but this is very small praise considering everything else the movie botched. It's perhaps slightly better than Batman and Robin only because they kept punning to a minimum. Otherwise, a solid contender for the worst big-budget movie in Hollywood history.

Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM