Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 05:29:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1832569 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7320 on: January 04, 2010, 01:02:54 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep an eye out.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7321 on: January 04, 2010, 01:04:29 PM »

A Fistful of Dollars - 7/10 - Fifth or sixth viewing. Groggy enjoyed this film far more than he had in his past few viewings and hopes that his most humble and ashamed apology for his blasphemies against this film will be accepted by the Leone board. Embarrassed

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: January 05, 2010, 08:28:59 AM »

Die Brücke (The Bridge) (1959) - At IMDB somebody said this is the best war movie ever. Of course that is debatable, but this is a first class movie. I give it 8\10 because 1) I saw it dubbed 2) because the action part is not well made, viz. the explosions look and sound miffed. Still I think it explains in a very allusive (i.e. not didascalic) way the brainwashing german youth had been subjected to during the 12 years of nazi regime. I don't know if the teenagers in this movie had a subsequent career but herein they show that all the reverence toward the american acting school(s) is mere Hollywood propaganda: their performance is breathtaking. 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7323 on: January 05, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »

The Informer - 8/10 - A bit stiff and very predictable but on the whole a very good film. Ford shoots the movie as essentially a silent movie, with lots of wonderfully expressionistic lighting and cinematography, use of thoughts projected on screen, lots of theatrical acting/pauses/etc., which adds a lot to it. Victor McLaglen is wonderful though the rest of the cast is pretty bleh. Leone fans will recognize a probable influence on the Ireland scenes in DYS.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7324 on: January 05, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »

In Which We Serve - 7/10 - 2nd viewing.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: January 05, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »

Hangmen Also Die! - 7-8/10 - It is, first of all, a very dated film. Besides the crappy video quality (which can be put down to a bad transfer/restoration) you have one-dimensional stereotyped sauerkraut hard-drinking and whoring rat swine Nazis and noble Czechs sporting mostly American accents, particularly obvious with Walter Brennan's old pappy accent coming from the mouth of a Czech intellectual, and Lionel Stander's bit as an accountably New York-ish taxi driver, with Gene Lockhart's Quisling character sporting a prominent British accent (Anna Lee's English but her accent is rather played down). Despite this and a general depth in characterization aside from Anna Lee's lovely heroine, the film is mostly very good: Lang's direction is wonderfully noirish, which suits the material well (it's as much a reverse police-procedural as a war/political film), and the movie really succeeds in showing the horrors and repression of life under brutal wartime occupation, which I imagine is the point. (Note also that none other than Bertoldt Brecht is the primary screenwriter!) Although not a lot of grisly carnage is shown, the wonderfully expressive direction and oppressive atmosphere gets the point across perfectly; it's very brutal and down-to-earth for what's basically a wartime propaganda flick, despite an upbeat ending. Some of the plot logic is a little too convenient, and the framing plot enacted at the end would be chillingly evil in, say, a Hitchcock film, even if the victim deserves it here. On the whole though, I recommend it.
Just saw this on a rather nice transfer and was very impressed. I don't take issue with anything Groggy says, but I would add that the way language is used in the fiilm is very interesting. The Germans speak German, except when they're talking to Czechs, and then they use English. The Czech's use English amongst themselves--in other words, the convention for the film is that English equals Czech. It's very clever: it not only makes most of the dialogue intelligible to its intended American audience, it also immediately helps establish the audience's sympathy with the Czech characters and against the Germans. The double plot (the Germans are after Heydrich's assassin; the Czech resistance is trying to turn the tables on the regime of occupation) keeps things hopping along, and then there are the daily executions that keep ratcheting up the suspense. I can see why Tarantino likes this film and drew on it for inspiration while preparing Inglourious Basterds: there's even a scene where a traitor gets unmasked by unwittingly demonstrating his knowledge of German. Great plot, well paced, a lot of fun.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7326 on: January 05, 2010, 10:59:43 PM »

Where did you come across this transfer?

the way language is used in the fiilm is very interesting. The Germans speak German, except when they're talking to Czechs, and then they use English. The Czech's use English amongst themselves--in other words, the convention for the film is that English equals Czech. It's very clever: it not only makes most of the dialogue intelligible to its intended American audience, it also immediately helps establish the audience's sympathy with the Czech characters and against the Germans.

I don't think it's particularly clever, myself. That's a pretty standard ploy in films of this sort. But fair enough.

I can see why Tarantino likes this film and drew on it for inspiration while preparing Inglourious Basterds: there's even a scene where a traitor gets unmasked by unwittingly demonstrating his knowledge of German.

Has Tarantino actually mentioned this film, or are you just drawing this from DVD Savant's comments? Granted I wouldn't be at all surprised if QT has.

Great plot, well paced, a lot of fun.

I don't see it as a fun sort of film at all.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:03:26 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: January 05, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »

I sent to Germany for the disc. They did a special edition over there.

I think the fact there is so much German in the dialogue is quite unique for a Hollywood film of the period. Of course, you usually had the good guys talking English in American war films, but then you had everyone speaking in English, no matter who was speaking to whom. In Hangmen, by contrast, language differences are immediately spelled out in the opening scenes, where German character's speeches are translated into Czech (i.e. English). This gets the "us-them" dynamic going immediately, but also provides the set up for the later scene where German is used to smoke out the traitor. I'd say that this is a pretty clever manipulation of language in a Hollywood war film.

QT specifically references Hangmen in a talk he gave a week before IG's release last August, available on DVD as an extra disc (a Best Buy exclusive) that comes with the DVD/Blu-ray. He mentioned other films also, including Lang's Man Hunt.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7328 on: January 05, 2010, 11:40:45 PM »

I'm not really going to take issue with anything you said, and thanks for the confirmation on QT. I just didn't see the language as particularly impressive or noteworthy, maybe I'm just viewing it through too modern a perspective. Good call on the scene where Lockhart gets ferreted out though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: January 06, 2010, 12:03:31 AM »

You see how QT plays with the device though, nicht wahr? The traitor in Hangmen is given away because he knows German too well; the agent in Basterds reveals himself because his knowledge of German is incomplete.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7330 on: January 06, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »

It did take me a moment to figure out what scene you meant from Hangmen; for some reason I didn't remember that bit right away.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: January 06, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »

Porte aperte (1990) Whatever you may think of the movie (which is good anyway) this is a must see because of Volontè's performance, his best with Indagine. The italian release is english captioned. 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: January 06, 2010, 06:57:17 PM »

Nachts wenn der Teufel kam (The Devil Strikes at Night) (1957) - A bit overlong (the scene between Bruno and the jewish girl could be easily cut) it's a once to be seen and forget. 6\10 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7333 on: January 06, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »

Porte aperte (1990) Whatever you may think of the movie (which is good anyway) this is a must see because of Volontè's performance, his best with Indagine. The italian release is english captioned. 8\10

I've heard mostly good things about that one. I'll keep an eye out.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7334 on: January 06, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »

Dogma #1 - The Celebration - 5-7/10 - Our first viewing in World Film History. It careens wildly from perversely fascinating to deadeningly boring from scene to scene. The Dogma Manifesto is a load of horse shit though. More important is that there's a really cute Russian girl in my class, I ought to get on seducing her ASAP.

Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM