Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:12:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1766929 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7380 on: January 16, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »

The Book of Eli (2010) - 9/10. In a post-apocalyptic future, a pilgrim on a mysterious quest arrives in a town under the thumb of a ruthless boss. It's Kung Fu meets The Road Warrior--only instead of Caine, it's Eli (the Denzel) who doesn't want any trouble. And when the knuckle-draggers insist, there's nothing non-violent about Eli's response. His weapon-of-choice is a long, wicked-ass blade--bullets, you'll understand, being few and precious--with which he can samurai the ass of every miscreant. But when circumstances demand, Eli can Glock-and-roll with the best of them. The fight choreography is wonderful and, listen up, NO SHAKY-CAM WAS USED in the making of this motion picture. The Academy should recognize the Hughes Brothers with a special award for The Staging of Action Scenes that Viewers Can Actually Follow! In fact, the Bros do so many things right regarding the look of this picture (CGI that doesn't move, de-saturated post-apocalyptic color, classic master shots followed by inserts, etc.) that you'd swear that they themselves were survivors from a pre-cataclysmic past. And talk about sweet casting: Gary Oldman has been good before, but as the evil Carnegie (geddit?) he surpasses every role he's ever assayed. I'd never heard of Mila Kunis, and her line readings were a little annoying (Val-gal attitude 30 years after "The Flash"--what, is it genetic?), but she has action heroine potential (will she be in the sequel/TV spin-off?) and is certainly visually appealing (and I'm glad to know there will be plenty of Maybeline products available after the apocalypse). Support is provided by a number of well-chosen actors: Ray Stevenson (from HBO's Rome) is a terrific Henchman #1, and Tom Waits (!) really aces the part of The Engineer. Then there's Jennifer Beals--how many years has it been since Flashdance?--who still looks great. A couple of late cameos had me chuckling: when you least expect him, Michael Gambon pops up; and then, just when you think you're home free, enter the nearly ubiquitous Malcolm McDowell--and who knew he was Jewish? The plot is really decent, too, but dramatically there is a slight flaw near the end. After a final confrontation between Eli and Carnegie, the two break and go to their respective corners. The air goes out of the story at that point, and all we're left with until the curtain is a series of revelations. Those revelations are interesting--suffice it to say they include a Fahrenheit 451 moment (but with a twist)--but too much time is spent on them. This hurts the film's rewatchability (which is why I can't give it a "10"--when I get this on Blu, I probably won't much bother with the last 15 minutes ever again). Still, there are several set pieces I can't wait to re-experience, especially the homage to Frank's Walk through Flagstone. Oh, and did I mention that Ray Stevenson went through the film whistling Cockeye's Theme? What, you're still reading this? You're not already on your way out to the theater?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: January 16, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »

Tky monogatari (1953) "Tokyo Story" - 10/10
DJ, recommended films by Ozu? You're an expert, right?
I'm not an expert, but I play one on TV [rimshot].

I don't think you can go wrong with any of his films. Titoli is right about Ozu telling the same story again and again. I never found that to be a problem, though, because the characters are always interesting. And since Ozu kept using a lot of the same actors, often in similar parts, each film is like an opportunity to renew acquaintances of long standing.

Over the next 3 years, the BFI will release all 32 extant films on DVD. Apart from those already released by Criterion, these will probably be the best English-friendly editions available.

As for my personal preferences, I favor the films made in the 50s. The one I like best is Early Summer--another family drama with Setsuko Hara. But I also recommend Ozu's final six films, the ones he made in color. Using Agfa stock, he developed a palette that is unique. Look in particular for Equinox Flower and The End of Summer.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: January 16, 2010, 07:10:02 PM »

The Book of Eli (2010) - 9/10.  What, you're still reading this? You're not already on your way out to the theater?

Thanx, I'll save the money and time. 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7383 on: January 16, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »

Avatar - 5-6/10 - I'll save my comments for the appropriate thread.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: January 17, 2010, 03:12:26 AM »

Tokyo-Ga (1985) - 7/10

Magnolia (1999) - 9/10
Because of all that Scientology shit, I had forgotten that Tom Cruise can really act.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Whalestoe
« Reply #7385 on: January 17, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »

The Book of Eli (2010) - 9/10. In a post-apocalyptic future, a pilgrim on a mysterious quest arrives in a town under the thumb of a ruthless boss. It's Kung Fu meets The Road Warrior--only instead of Caine, it's Eli (the Denzel) who doesn't want any trouble. And when the knuckle-draggers insist, there's nothing non-violent about Eli's response. His weapon-of-choice is a long, wicked-ass blade--bullets, you'll understand, being few and precious--with which he can samurai the ass of every miscreant. But when circumstances demand, Eli can Glock-and-roll with the best of them. The fight choreography is wonderful and, listen up, NO SHAKY-CAM WAS USED in the making of this motion picture. The Academy should recognize the Hughes Brothers with a special award for The Staging of Action Scenes that Viewers Can Actually Follow! In fact, the Bros do so many things right regarding the look of this picture (CGI that doesn't move, de-saturated post-apocalyptic color, classic master shots followed by inserts, etc.) that you'd swear that they themselves were survivors from a pre-cataclysmic past. And talk about sweet casting: Gary Oldman has been good before, but as the evil Carnegie (geddit?) he surpasses every role he's ever assayed. I'd never heard of Mila Kunis, and her line readings were a little annoying (Val-gal attitude 30 years after "The Flash"--what, is it genetic?), but she has action heroine potential (will she be in the sequel/TV spin-off?) and is certainly visually appealing (and I'm glad to know there will be plenty of Maybeline products available after the apocalypse). Support is provided by a number of well-chosen actors: Ray Stevenson (from HBO's Rome) is a terrific Henchman #1, and Tom Waits (!) really aces the part of The Engineer. Then there's Jennifer Beals--how many years has it been since Flashdance?--who still looks great. A couple of late cameos had me chuckling: when you least expect him, Michael Gambon pops up; and then, just when you think you're home free, enter the nearly ubiquitous Malcolm McDowell--and who knew he was Jewish? The plot is really decent, too, but dramatically there is a slight flaw near the end. After a final confrontation between Eli and Carnegie, the two break and go to their respective corners. The air goes out of the story at that point, and all we're left with until the curtain is a series of revelations. Those revelations are interesting--suffice it to say they include a Fahrenheit 451 moment (but with a twist)--but too much time is spent on them. This hurts the film's rewatchability (which is why I can't give it a "10"--when I get this on Blu, I probably won't much bother with the last 15 minutes ever again). Still, there are several set pieces I can't wait to re-experience, especially the homage to Frank's Walk through Flagstone. Oh, and did I mention that Ray Stevenson went through the film whistling Cockeye's Theme? What, you're still reading this? You're not already on your way out to the theater?

Tom Waits is in it? Will go.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: January 17, 2010, 01:49:06 PM »

Once again stopping in to say that titoli is a fucking cockmooch faggot and I don't want him posting in MY thread.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7387 on: January 17, 2010, 02:00:09 PM »

Your insight is always welcome.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: January 17, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »

Once again stopping in to say that titoli is a fucking cockmooch faggot and I don't want him posting in MY thread.

Thanx, I'll keep on posting in YOUR thread. Only with a vengeance.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: January 17, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »

If titoli did not exist, he would have to be invented.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7390 on: January 17, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »

Well I might have to make our rivalry a full-time job if Titoli departs.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: January 17, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »

In a brawl, as Ford well knew, the more the merrier.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7392 on: January 17, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »

Where does CJ fit into all this? We've been flaming each other pretty regularly on IMDB. Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: January 17, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »

What you guys do outside this board is your own business. Here, CJ is more of a conciliating presence.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7394 on: January 17, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »

I suggest you check out the 3:10 to Yuma thread again.

Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM