Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 03:25:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1760583 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7455 on: January 28, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

Bushido: The Cruel Code of the Samurai (1963) - 8/10. The back of the DVD box puts it well: "350 years . . . 7 Generations . . . 7 Roles . . . 1 ACTOR." That one actor (Kinnosuke Nakamura), portraying successive descendants of an ill-used samurai family, illustrates a simple message: blind loyalty to a corrupt system is no virtue. You'd think after the first time this point is made the film would grow tedious--in fact, no: the filmmaker (Tadashi Imai) keeps coming up with new and inventive ways for each new generation of loyal retainers to get screwed (in one case, literally). It's like watching a Dr. Phibes film (or a Webster play); you have to stay with it just to see what exquisite cruelty will be next on view. Of course it's all in a good cause. Brother Imai, preaching to the choir, is out to tell us that feudalism is bad, post-WW II Japanese democracy is good, which is why there's hope for the final generation. The all-too-obvious message in no way interferes with the film's entertainment value, however. All the violence--artfully rendered in B&W and 'scope--is supported by a wonderful (Shostakovich-inspired) score. Kudos to AnimEigo for digging this one up.

Thanx, the title was enough to induce me to skip it, but your review seals it definitely.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: January 28, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »

Thanx, the title was enough to induce me to skip it, but your review seals it definitely.
Odd. I thought gratuitous violence was the sine qua non of the SW fan. My mistake.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: January 29, 2010, 02:32:38 AM »

Criss Cross (1949) - 7/10
The biggest problem is that Yvonne De Carlo's character's actions make no sense. Overall the characters seem to be just chess pieces. 

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: January 29, 2010, 06:59:35 AM »

Whad'ya mean? Yvonne De Carlo's character is just out for the main chance, but as she doesn't know which one of her two men is coming out on top, she hedges her bets. That's the way I recall it, anyway.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: January 29, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »

The 47 Ronin (1962) - 7/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055850/

I prefer chambaras in B&W. It's quite good, the actors are right and the whole thing looks what it should, but it's filled with discretion shots when anyone dies, we barely see blood and it ends when the 47 kills Kira (show-stealer old bastard) and marches around the streets with his head. How could they not show the mass seppuku?

"Does this unit have a soul?"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: January 29, 2010, 08:56:01 AM »

Whad'ya mean? Yvonne De Carlo's character is just out for the main chance, but as she doesn't know which one of her two men is coming out on top, she hedges her bets. That's the way I recall it, anyway.
Well, yeah, but the way her actions are presented makes her look like a chess piece. Her motivations are as clear as if she was on her period.

Or never mind, these are just my thoughts after watching the movie at 1.00 AM...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: January 29, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »

I took it as she was playing both sides as well. She was a 1D biatch though.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7462 on: January 29, 2010, 08:36:02 PM »

Great Expectations - 7/10 - 2nd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: January 29, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »

The Stepfather (1987) - (somewhere near a) 4/10

Quite possibly the most blatantly stupid script in the history of screenwriting. A guy makes a living infiltrating different suburban families in the area of X (can't remember, but it was a small number) miles, without any identification papers, without a past, without telling them anything about himself, leaving photos of his past forays behind, and in return they let him live with them and accept him as family - he then starts killing them. Are they good or what?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:49:22 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7464 on: January 29, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »

The Stepfather (1987) - (somewhere near a) 4/10

Quite possibly the most blatantly stupid script in the history of screenwriting. A guy makes a living infiltrating different suburban families in the area of X (can't remember, but it was a small number) miles, without any identification papers, without a past, without telling them anything about himself, leaving photos of his past forays behind, and in return they let him live with them and accept him as family - he then starts killing them. Arte they good or what?

Roughly my sentiments. Its high reputation baffles me.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:13 PM »

Another cult classic, I guess.

Though this is striking stuff if you're like 14 or something.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: January 30, 2010, 03:58:55 AM »

Skin Game (1971) James Garner's closest cinematic vehicle reprising his Maverick role. 7-8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: January 30, 2010, 07:30:03 AM »

Skin Game (1971) James Garner's closest cinematic vehicle reprising his Maverick role. 7-8/10
It also anticipates The Rockford Files, where Garner and Lou Gossett Jr. pulled a con or two, separately and together.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7468 on: January 30, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »

The Chase - 5-6/10 - Geez. Sam Spiegel, Arthur Penn, Lillian Hellman and a top-notch cast of hot '60s talent and top-notch character actors team up for a social message film about the bigotry and violence pervading America. And what do we get? A long (135 minutes), langorous wallow in Small Town America as Envisioned by Hollywood, where everyone is a racist, sexually repressed pig waiting for an excuse to start killing people. It's not really enough of a concept to hang a film on, and so the film is padded with endless scenes of drunken partying, sleazy sexual banter and bigoted thugs harrassing random black guys. The plot proper doesn't really take off for over an hour, and all we get out of the proceedings is a foul, violent anti-society message with a stacked dramatic deck and obnoxious moralizing, complete with a restaging of Lee Harvey Oswald's murder. Marlon Brando seems to be auditioning for Boomhauer on King of the Hill, with his indiscernable Texan mumbling; Jane Fonda is her usual trampy self; Robert Redford is an inert martyr. You do get to see various actors as you've never seen them before (James Fox as a Texan! Robert Duvall with hair!), and most of the character cast is good with a pretty one-note roster of parts. Not without its virtues - Penn's direction is great, a few of the set pieces are well-done, and the acting, as said before, is generally good - but on the whole it's a pretty obnoxious movie, overly convinced of its own profundity without the depth and complexity to pull it off.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: January 30, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »

Scarface (1931) Hawks, Hetch, Muni, Raft, just great 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM