Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 12:44:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767330 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7470 on: January 30, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »

Saw that one many years ago. I barely remember it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: January 30, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »

The Chase - 5-6/10
Huh, I always remember this as a pretty good film. Robert Cummings is a bit of a nut, and the long sequence that turns out to be a dream is a cheat, but Michèle Morgan is lovely and Steve Cochran was never better. Love that gag with the extra accelerator in the back seat! Or maybe we're talking about different films? Mine came out in 1946. Which one are you talking about?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7472 on: January 30, 2010, 11:02:58 PM »

I think whatever film you're talking about predates Brando's acting career.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: January 31, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »

Le mépris (1963) "Contempt" - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7474 on: January 31, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »

The Chase - 5-6/10 -

If you take it as a phylosophy/sociology movie it deserve that rating. If you take it as an atmospher movie about characters it deserves 10 out of 10...

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: January 31, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »

Another Best of British weekend:

The Upturned Glass (1947) 7/10. A lecturing neurosurgeon (James Mason) relates the case history of a man driven to murder after his Brief Encounter ends in tragedy. In flashback we see that the doctor is telling his own story. Yet when the lecture has finished we also realize the murder, so meticulously explained, remains to be done. And off the doctor goes! In the event, of course, little happens as planned, but the complications are quite ingenious. Mason is a tonic. The ending, though, leaves a lot to be desired.

The Seventh Veil
(1945) 6/10. A concert pianist (Ann Todd) attempts suicide, and in order to discover the reason for her discontent, a psychoanalyst (Herbert Lom) begins treating her under narco-hypnosis. Cue the flashbacks. Turns out, her icy guardian (James Mason, once more in Charming Swine mode) has given her a complex or two. Can the doctor get to the bottom of her phobias in time to get her back on stage? And will the audience be able to sit through all the interminable concert performances? Well, Todd trained for three months to be able to play credibly and I guess the producers wanted to show the public what they'd got for their money. A huge hit at the time, apparently it remains the #10 film in terms of UK boxoffice. It has an ending that is so wrong it will take your breath away.

The Queen of Spades (1949) 8/10. From a Pushkin story: a Russian Captain of Engineers (Anton Walbrook, sans mustache), obsessed with St. Petersburg's 19th Century faro craze, learns of an aristocratic old woman (Dame Edith Evans, in her first film role--at the age of 60!) who, through occult means, knows the Secret of the Cards. To get to her, the Captain begins romancing the woman's innocent young ward. Yes, it will all end in tears. A film by Thorold Dickinson (whose best known picture is probably the original Gaslight), it is visually sumptuous and has, for its time, an amazing sound design. Orson Welles must have wished he'd made it.

Father Brown, The Detective (1954) 10/10. Second viewing. A cleric (Alec Guinness) who is also an amateur detective, pursues and eventually tames the art thief Flambeau (Peter Finch). A highly authentic distillation of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories, with support provided by Joan Greenwood and Bernard Lee. Robert Hamer's masterpiece is undoubtedly Kind Hearts and Coronets, but to my mind, this film is every bit as good.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7476 on: January 31, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »

I watched a decent chunk of the Amityville Horror remake on TNT this afternoon. It was beyond cheesy, but then, so was the source material. The closest it came to being scary was Ryan Reynolds hacking the family dog to death.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:12:12 PM by Groggy » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: January 31, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »

I watched a decent chunk of the Amityville Horror remake on TNT this afternoon.

Boring movie, and the original isn't much better.
The first sequel of the original is actually quite creepy.
Worth at least one look.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7478 on: January 31, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »

The true story of the DeFeos is pretty creepy without the demonic possession stuff. The whole "Horror" nonsense is, well, nonsense.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7479 on: January 31, 2010, 10:32:27 PM »

The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) - 8/10 - Really dumb, ridiculous story, weighed down with excessive melodrama, but the battle scenes are some of the best ever put on film, and Errol Flynn is at his absolute best. A lot more fun than the so-so '60s version.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: February 01, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »

Witness (1985) - 8.5/10
Solid storytelling.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: February 01, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »

The Yakuza (1974) - This was a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be, a nice piece of entertainment. It looks a bit dated but the set design mostly offsets that. Good score, features Mitchum and a great pace; though it takes its sweet time wrapping up. It's an 8 that I'd give a 9 because it's a fun watch.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: February 01, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »

The Wanderers (1979) - I bought it thinking it was Hill's The Warriors, which I remebered vaguely having seen. This is a no brainer, with the plot changing movie genre at every turn. I thought it was basically a juvenile gang wars story, instead you have comedy, zombie-like scenes, melodrama and what else, witgh the ending showing that actually you were watching another American Graffiti. Really, the story shows the writers had no clue of what they were going to do. The soundtrack though, based on early '60's rock, is good throughout and some surf piece was probably heard here for the first time by Tarantino. 5\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: February 02, 2010, 08:07:53 AM »

The Wanderers (1979) - I bought it thinking it was Hill's The Warriors, which I remebered vaguely having seen. This is a no brainer, with the plot changing movie genre at every turn. I thought it was basically a juvenile gang wars story, instead you have comedy, zombie-like scenes, melodrama and what else, witgh the ending showing that actually you were watching another American Graffiti. Really, the story shows the writers had no clue of what they were going to do. The soundtrack though, based on early '60's rock, is good throughout and some surf piece was probably heard here for the first time by Tarantino. 5\10

My thoughts exactly.

Interesting situation: I remember once, a while back, trying to watch The Warriors with some of my buddies and they were bored to death, on the other hand they were all crazy about The Wanderers, which is why I had the brilliant idea to get and show them TW in first place. One of the last times I recommended movies to persons I know in real life. I did the same mistake with my family a couple of times more, though.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: February 02, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »

The Killers (1964) - 8/10
Having Hemingway's name over the title is a joke. About the 1946 version all that I can remember is that it was told from the perspective of a detective, but I think I enjoyed both versions about equally.

Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM