Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:11:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1841510 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7485 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »

The Killers (1964) - 8/10
Having Hemingway's name over the title is a joke. About the 1946 version all that I can remember is that it was told from the perspective of a detective, but I think I enjoyed both versions about equally.
To be more acurate, the perspective of an insurance investigator acting like a detective.

I agree, though. The two versions, though very different, are equally enjoyable.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: February 02, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »

To be more acurate, the perspective of an insurance investigator acting like a detective.
That's what I meant but couldn't find the correct term.

The State of Things (1982) - 7-8/10
Very atmospheric.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: February 02, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »

The State of Things (1982) - 7-8/10
Very atmospheric.
Due in large part to the haunting b&w photography of Henri Alekan. But I get the fact that your comment is code for "no story."

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: February 02, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »

Two from Universal's new Vault Series (made-on-demand DVD-r's):

The House of the Seven Gables (1940) - 7/10. The Hawthorne novel adapted, with the feuding Pyncheon boys played by Vincent Price (as the good brother)  and George Sanders (as the bad). Margaret Lindsay--sort of a Jean Arthur type, but without the accent--does a great turn transforming from the vivacious love interest into an old maid. Wonderfully photographed, but with a rather lackluster score. Interesting story.

Dragnet (1954) - 8/10. The color film version of the popular 50s TV show, starring and directed by Jack Webb, with bits by Richard Boone, Dennis Weaver, and a bunch of guys who guest starred on Perry Mason. Dub Taylor shows up just long enough to be the guest victim. He' s a mob hit, and Sgt. Friday and the boys spend the well-paced 90 minutes investigating his shotgunning. Friday (deadpanning): "The first blast cut him in two. The second made him a crowd." Ha! Based on a true story, we're told, so we get the full policier treatment. Highly entertaining.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: February 02, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »

I give the 46 version the edge because the racing scenes with Cassavetes and Dickinson carried on for way too long and aren't very effective. I'm a big fan of both movies though.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7490 on: February 02, 2010, 11:59:24 PM »

The Best Years of Our Lives - 9/10 - Potentially mawkish material is elevated into something poignant and grand by virtue of an excellent director, cast and screenwriter.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: February 03, 2010, 03:52:47 AM »

It's Complicated (2009) Wife drug me to this CHICK flick, has some funny sequences but as a whole if your a guy be forewarned another Romantic Fantasy. 6/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: February 03, 2010, 03:54:55 AM »

It's Complicated (2009) Wife drug me to this CHICK flick, has some funny sequences but as a whole if your a guy be forewarned another Romantic Fantasy. 6/10

You listen to women too much, good thing you didn't get lost on the way to the theater! Cheesy Wink

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: February 03, 2010, 06:37:06 AM »

Ugliest movies I saw I was dragged there by a woman. Another reason to remain single.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: February 03, 2010, 11:32:33 AM »

Kanal (Canal) (1957) - A bit longish, it veers too much on character's study instead of pure action. A pity because the idea of the sewers was great. 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7495 on: February 03, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »

Un Chien Andalou - Once you get past the eyeball getting sliched there isn't much here.

The Passion of Joan of Arc - 9/10 - Great soundtrack by Voices of Light.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:23 PM »

Pokolenie (A Generation)(1954) The director is unsatisfied with it. So am I. 5|10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »

Two from Bad Girls of Film Noir Vol. 1:

The Killer that Stalked New York (1950) - 6/10. Like Panic in the Streets, but with Evelyn Keyes in the Jack Palance role, and New York locations in place of the New Orleans ones. Well, at times, Keyes looks almost as strange as Palance. The manhunt--girlhunt?--device works pretty well, but the filmmakers keep ruining things by stopping the action to run what amounts to public service announcements for the health department. Is this really a noir, though? Hey, it's got Whit Bissell!

Two of a Kind
(1951) - 8/10. Lizabeth Scott convinces Fast Eddy O'Brien to pretend to be an elderly couple's lost heir so they can bilk the sweet old things out of their dough. Scott and O'Brien have great chemistry, and there's enough uncertainty about whether one will double cross the other to keep things interesting. The film maintains a pretty light tone throughout, with murderous intentions and a bit of danger thrown in at the end. There's a couple of neat twist in the story, too. A real crowd pleaser.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: February 04, 2010, 02:23:11 AM »

Kanal (Canal) (1957) - A bit longish, it veers too much on character's study instead of pure action. A pity because the idea of the sewers was great. 7\10
Well this wouldn't be my pick either if I wanted to see an action movie... But I'm drawn to films like this that take the conflict to the most simple level: sheer survival. In desperate situations you grab tight to your own illusions, and in the end of the movie, when some of them get out of the sewers, the illusion in the sewer seems more attractive than the reality on the ground. Some how this movie reminds me of Apocalypse Now and A Man Escaped.
PS. The girl is damn hot.

Kings of the Road (1976) - 7.5/10
It's long as fuck but fortunately quite rewarding after all.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Whalestoe
« Reply #7499 on: February 04, 2010, 02:45:18 AM »

A Serious Man - 11/10

Dave Jenkins and RR weren't kidding. See this movie.

Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM