Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 06:58:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1837981 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7650 on: March 05, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »

Booye kafoor, atre yas / Smell of Camphor, Fragrance of Jasmine (2000) - 7/10. An Iranian Day For Night, but with (many, many) intimations of mortality. (A more thorough summary can be had here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262774/) I had the good fortune to see this screened at the Jacob Burns last night, with the director in attendance, interviewed by Jonathan Demme. Even better was the catered reception afterwards: you should have seen the spread of spreads! (and yes, there was baklava). All told, a pretty good value for nine dollars. I guess there are still some things home theater cannot replace.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:13:41 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: March 05, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »

John Q (2002) - 6/10

Maybe too obvious and unsubtle, but shit like this actually happens every day, and there's nobody to do movies and blow horns when it does.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7652 on: March 05, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »

John Q (2002) - 6/10

Maybe too obvious and unsubtle,

Saw it yesterday, i agree...

but shit like this actually happens every day, and there's nobody to do movies and blow horns when it does.

you mean shit like "good guys get screwed but they're so awesome they end up screwing the baddies and even make some baddies become good guys after all since they were not so mean after all and anyway this is America isn't it"?
I thought they had been doing these movies for 120 years now.
4/10
(1 for professional looking filmmaking 2 for acting and 1 for the so brave message)

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: March 06, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »

Shutter Island (2010) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: March 06, 2010, 06:03:28 AM »

you mean shit like "good guys get screwed but they're so awesome they end up screwing the baddies and even make some baddies become good guys after all since they were not so mean after all and anyway this is America isn't it"?

No. I meant that good hardworking people get screwed by the government/companies/rich bastards/bureaucrats/etc. on everyday basis, and there ain't nobody to help, let alone make sermonizing Hollywood one-man-with-a-gun schlocks like this to acknowledge their everyday struggle.

I thought they had been doing these movies for 120 years now.
4/10
(1 for professional looking filmmaking 2 for acting and 1 for the so brave message)

Your rating is, without any doubt, more objective compared to mine, but besides the cheesy campiness of the story - the actors make it worth.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7655 on: March 06, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »

Yeah.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: March 06, 2010, 09:39:38 AM »

Sure.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: March 06, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »

El día de la bestia (1995) - 8.2/10

I guess in the end they lost some steam cause of the weak special effects, it should have been spectacular, but that's all I can complain about. Fantastic dark comedy with hilarious characters. Slightly wicked but far from extreme. One of the best movies of the 90s.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7658 on: March 06, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »

Being bored, I spent most of the day watching ABC Family.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids - 5/10 - ?th viewing. I really liked these movies as a kid, not so much anymore.

Holes - 7/10 - I loved the book as a kid. Never saw the movie until today. The excellent cast is the main attraction (with a non-annoying pre-Transformers Shia LaBeouf as the lead), and it perfectly captures the spirit of the novel.

Happy Feet - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. Meh.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »

Never Cry Wolf (1983) - 7.5/10

Not quite Dersu Uzala but a fascinating experience all the same, and then you go out and... Saigon... shit.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:42:01 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7660 on: March 07, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »

Go back to the jungle.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: March 07, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »

Brooklyn's Finest (2010) - 7/10. Three separate cop stories--one about a dirty cop (Ethan Hawke) who needs money to buy his family a house, another about a burned-out patrolman (Richard Gere, not looking all that burned out) who has 7 days to go for retirement, and finally one about an undercover officer (Don Cheadle) who's in so deep he's been to prison--parallel each other and then converge for a gi-normous climax. Well, they kinda converge: the final actions all take place in and around 2 neighboring apartment buildings. The three strands keep things interesting, although some of the coincidences are hard to swallow. There are some great performances (Wesley Snipes plays a gang lord) and some fun cameos (Ellen Barkin as very ballsy federal agent, and Vincent D'Onofrio shows up just long enough to get his ticket punched), but apart from the setting and the big-name cast, this could be an episode of The Wire. Except a Wire episode would be more plausible. And that's the problem with this kind of movie these days--TV can do it better.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:07:03 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: March 07, 2010, 05:13:02 PM »

The Last King of Scotland (2006) - 6, 6.5, less, more, I honestly don't know / 10

For some reason I'm completely indifferent to this. Forest Whitaker is good but everything else seems horribly unappealing.

Ah, hey, there's Gillian Anderson!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »

The Warriors (1979) I remembered I saw this because of the DJ's interplaying. Now I understand because I had forgotten the rest. 4\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »

The Internecine Project (1974) - 4/10. I'm always glad to see another James Coburn picture, but this is a pretty insubstantial film. Coburn plays a guy about to be appointed to a position of power in the U.S. government . . . provided he does a little housecleaning, first. For some reason he's based in the U.K. and has developed a small cell of informants whom he must now get rid of, so he manipulates them into bumping each other off. There's a certain amount of fun in watching the well-oiled plan chugging along, and we wait for the inevitable spanner in the works. The hiccups are minor, however, and are easily dealt with, so any chance of suspense evaporates. Plus there's an annoying love interest played by Lee Grant that has pretty much nothing to do with the story, and the twist at the end is predictable. There's very little of interest here--except for a terrific Roy Budd score. My rating, therefore, is based solely on the music.

Flame and Citron (2008) - 8/10. "Flame" (Thure Lindhardt) and "Citron" (Mads Mikkelsen) are two Danish resistance fighters who spend their days assassinating collaborators and home-grown Nazis. They're happy in their work until they begin to suspect that their superior is targeting victims for less-than-patriotic motives. Suddenly it becomes a question of who they can trust, and for how long. Based on true stories, this film would make an excellent double bill with Verhoeven's Black Book, although it is less engaging and, ultimately, less interesting than that film. Christian Berkel plays bald German Nazis in both!

Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM