Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 11:03:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1838338 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7725 on: March 27, 2010, 10:00:40 AM »

Are any of Antonioni's other films worth watching?

As an aside, we were going to watch Red Desert, but class consensus steered our professor to Blow-Up. Make of that what you will.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: March 27, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »

Are any of Antonioni's other films worth watching?

As an aside, we were going to watch Red Desert, but class consensus steered our professor to Blow-Up. Make of that what you will.
Not much to choose between 'em, actually.

I like L'avventura and L'eclisse, and The Passenger is a good, albeit minor, work.

From his pre-pretentious period one film I've seen that stands out is Cronaca di un amore  (1950), aka Story of a Love Affair, a kind of Italian film noir. From 1957 Il Grido isn't bad, but suffers from a ridiculous ending.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: March 27, 2010, 03:39:12 PM »

Greenberg (2010) - After years away, a 41-year-old loser and complete ass (Ben Stiller) returns to LA to house-sit for his successful brother and finds, perhaps at last, true love. I can't decide whether this is a work of genius or a complete waste of time. Centering a film on a completely unsympathetic character is a risky strategy, to say the least, and Greenberg, the character, in no way improves upon better acquaintance. The only thing that kept me in my seat was the love interest, Florence, played by the amazing Greta Gerwig, who, although seemingly not too bright, grew more appealing with each passing scene. In spite of everything, I ended up rooting for her and Greenberg, even though Florence deserved a much better partner. But then, in life, there are many such relationships, so maybe this is a film that is just being brutally honest. Anyway, it would make a nice double-bill with Your Friends And Neighbors.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: March 27, 2010, 09:00:48 PM »

They Came To Cordura (1959) 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7729 on: March 27, 2010, 11:45:54 PM »

Becket - 8/10 - 4th viewing

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: March 28, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »

La face cachée de la lune (2003) "Far Side of the Moon" - 7.5/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: March 28, 2010, 01:44:30 PM »

A Prophet (2009) - 8/10. This starts out as a realistic presentation of life in a French prison and then gradually grows more outlandish until the hero is actually getting one-day passes to go out and do mob hits. Uh huh. Entertaining nonetheless.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7732 on: March 28, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »

Kill Bill Vol. 2 - 6/10 - A bit more palatable than the original. Still long-winded, self-indulgent and obnoxious to the extreme.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7733 on: March 29, 2010, 07:05:46 AM »

A Prophet (2009) - 8/10. This starts out as a realistic presentation of life in a French prison and then gradually grows more outlandish until the hero is actually getting one-day passes to go out and do mob hits. Uh huh. Entertaining nonetheless.

Well, I don't know about the US, but in France that sounds realistic. Don't forget the guy had nothing to do with organised crime before he went to prison. He's not Al Capone, why wouldn't the administration follow the law and let him a couple days free here and there?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: March 29, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »

By the end of the film he's the new Godfather. And he did it all from prison. And it's not like he's some kind of mastermind--a lot of what happens is just down to dumb luck, with an emphasis on the dumb part. Well, at the beginning I thought the filmmakers were gonna be holding a mirror up to reality, but by the end I realized it was just another gangster movie.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: March 29, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »

The Sting (1972) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7736 on: March 29, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »

By the end of the film he's the new Godfather. And he did it all from prison. And it's not like he's some kind of mastermind--a lot of what happens is just down to dumb luck, with an emphasis on the dumb part. Well, at the beginning I thought the filmmakers were gonna be holding a mirror up to reality, but by the end I realized it was just another gangster movie.

yeah. That's what it is. The fact he does all this from prison, added to the realistic atmosphere at the begining are its only originality. I rank it with the wrestler. 8/10

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7737 on: March 30, 2010, 11:50:25 PM »

The Red Shoes - 7-8/10 - Hmm. It's a technically flawless film, impressive even by Powell and Pressburger standards. The cinematography is perhaps the most gorgeous ever captured on film - between this and Colonel Blimp, I haven't seen ANY director use Technicolor so amazingly. Great mise-en-scene, good (not great) acting, a nice script, an excellent score. And the ballet sequence midway through the film is cinema at its purest and most exhilarating. Still, the story is pretty trite, it takes awhile to get going (and often drags even after it gets there) and the ending didn't sit well with me, so I can't give it too high of a rating.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: March 31, 2010, 06:27:40 AM »

The Snow Walker (2003) - 6.5 to 7 / 10

Doesn't seem honest as it should be, perhaps it's too simple and unoriginal.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: March 31, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »

The Red Shoes - 7-8/10 - Hmm. It's a technically flawless film, impressive even by Powell and Pressburger standards. The cinematography is perhaps the most gorgeous ever captured on film - between this and Colonel Blimp, I haven't seen ANY director use Technicolor so amazingly. Great mise-en-scene, good (not great) acting, a nice script, an excellent score. And the ballet sequence midway through the film is cinema at its purest and most exhilarating. Still, the story is pretty trite, it takes awhile to get going (and often drags even after it gets there) and the ending didn't sit well with me, so I can't give it too high of a rating.
I dislike the ending myself, but until that point I'm down with everything in it. Trite story? Yeah, doesn't bother me. Drags? Yeah, I wish it dragged more, I want to linger on every sequence, every shot. The acting's not so great? Well, in many cases the performers are dancers first, actors second, and by all means, put multi-talented people in front of cameras. Today we get performers whose only "talent" is acting and they can't even manage that properly.

I recently saw a print of the restored version and the Technicolor looked like it was on acid. Or it made me think I was. Anyway, I can't wait for CC's coming Blu-ray (maybe in July). They don't make films like this anymore--and they never did.

Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM