Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:38:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843930 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7740 on: March 31, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »

I'm not criticizing the actors, Jenkins, I'm just saying they're not extraordinary. I do like Anton Walbrook more with each film I see him in though; he was great in his other two Powell films.

I had a lot of the same problems with Red Shoes as I did with Colonel Blimp, but I think the plot was more solidly constructed, even if it drags.

Seeing it on the big screen sounds like an extraordinary experience.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: March 31, 2010, 02:01:43 PM »

Lumikko (2009) "Little Snow Animal" - 8/10
A student film.

Intolerable Cruelty (2003) - 7/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7742 on: March 31, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »

Rashomon - 8/10 - I seem to have the same reaction to every Kurosawa film: well-made and reasonably entertaining, but something seems to be missing. The final flashback with the sissy swordfight is the best part.

We also watched part of some Japanese horror movie with Billy Drago and a talking hand coming out of a woman's head. No comment except that it was disgusting.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: March 31, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »

Rashomon - 8/10 - I seem to have the same reaction to every Kurosawa film: well-made and reasonably entertaining, but something seems to be missing. The final flashback with the sissy swordfight is the best part.
Rashomon is a concept film--fun to talk about, not much fun to watch. The gimmick was highly influential, inspiring episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show and All in the Family. I guess it was also remade as The Outrage, although I've never seen that.

Kurosawa is hit-and-miss, so maybe you've yet to connect with the good ones (although you've said you didn't care for Seven Samurai--an admission I find kinda weird). For the record, AK worked best in 'scope with telephoto lenses, and his most successful period was, for my money, right at the beginning of the 60s when he produced 4 aces in a row: Yojimbo, Sanjuro, High and Low (arguably his best), and Red Beard. I guess you've seen Yojimbo, but what about those others? When are you going to stop goofing around and finally see some films, man?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Whalestoe
« Reply #7744 on: March 31, 2010, 11:41:02 PM »

Greenberg (2010) - After years away, a 41-year-old loser and complete ass (Ben Stiller) returns to LA to house-sit for his successful brother and finds, perhaps at last, true love. I can't decide whether this is a work of genius or a complete waste of time. Centering a film on a completely unsympathetic character is a risky strategy, to say the least, and Greenberg, the character, in no way improves upon better acquaintance. The only thing that kept me in my seat was the love interest, Florence, played by the amazing Greta Gerwig, who, although seemingly not too bright, grew more appealing with each passing scene. In spite of everything, I ended up rooting for her and Greenberg, even though Florence deserved a much better partner. But then, in life, there are many such relationships, so maybe this is a film that is just being brutally honest. Anyway, it would make a nice double-bill with Your Friends And Neighbors.

+1

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: April 01, 2010, 06:31:01 AM »

I guess I'm leaning toward the idea that this is a great film. I certainly want to see it again.

Apparently, Baumbach and Stiller were on Charlie Rose last night. I didn't see it, but I believe it will be available to view at the website after a while.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7746 on: April 01, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »

Rashomon is a concept film--fun to talk about, not much fun to watch. The gimmick was highly influential, inspiring episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show and All in the Family.

And The Simpsons, and Aah! Real Monsters.

Kurosawa is hit-and-miss, so maybe you've yet to connect with the good ones (although you've said you didn't care for Seven Samurai--an admission I find kinda weird).

I like Seven Samurai, I just think it's overlong and draggy. I feel the same about Ran.

You can play the Lean/Leone card if you like, but I never felt bored watching their movies no matter how long or slow some of them are. Kurosawa doesn't strike me in the same way; a lot of the stuff in his films seems superfluous. I wouldn't part with a frame of Lawrence or OUATITW, but I wouldn't mind if a decent chunk of Seven Samurai were excised, particularly Toshiro Mifune's more egregious clowning.

I guess you've seen Yojimbo, but what about those others? When are you going to stop goofing around and finally see some films, man?

Well, at least I've seen a few Kurosawa films. I still haven't seen anything by a number of important directors. And I won't be a film student after April anyway.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: April 01, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »

Well, at least I've seen a few Kurosawa films. I still haven't seen anything by a number of important directors. And I won't be a film student after April anyway.
Changing your major?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) - 8/10
I almost turned it off during the first fifteen minutes, but it got better and better towards the end. I think good self/bad self division was highly simplifying and outdated even in 1931 but the movie still is quite thought-provoking in terms of alcoholism/drug addiction, violent relationships/domestic violence, sexual perversions/the attraction of the primitive and animal... Some of the metamorphosis are still fascinating. The first person camera is also very interesting idea but the tricks they used are highly obvious.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7748 on: April 01, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »

I did quite awhile ago. I'm just finishing out my Film minor right now.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: April 01, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »

Apparently, Baumbach and Stiller were on Charlie Rose last night. I didn't see it, but I believe it will be available to view at the website after a while.
In fact, here's the link for anyone whose interested: http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/10942

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: April 01, 2010, 01:36:58 PM »

I did quite awhile ago. I'm just finishing out my Film minor right now.
Huh? You can get a minor in film without ever having seen the 100 essential Japanese films and the 200 essential French films that everyone should see? What happened to standards in this country?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7751 on: April 01, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »

You ought to take it up with my professors. I have no real control over class curriculum.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7752 on: April 01, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »

Huh? You can get a minor in film without ever having seen the 100 essential Japanese films and the 200 essential French films that everyone should see? What happened to standards in this country?

there aint such thing as 200 essential French films. Hopefuly I'm working on it.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: April 02, 2010, 06:56:59 AM »

there aint such thing as 200 essential French films.
Right, more like 300. But where Groggy's concerned, I didn't want to ask for the moon.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7754 on: April 02, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »

I know you'd rather ask for Uranus. Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM