Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 10:31:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1768758 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7920 on: May 06, 2010, 01:56:05 PM »

My experience of Tolkien is limited to reading The Hobbit for a junior high English class.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: May 06, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »

Right. The character he plays is called "Hawkwood." I got confused. Embarrassed

Well, you got the ''hawk'' part right.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: May 06, 2010, 11:28:15 PM »

Viimeinen keikka (1984) "The Last Gig" - 7/10
"Four aging friends, ex-members of a dance band that split decades ago, gather to play once more at the funeral of their band's fifth player. Old quarrels re-emerge, made worse by the different roles the men have since taken in their lives. One is a dentist, one a priest, and one is just a bitter old dance musician with an inclination to drinking and making obnoxious comments."

I'm wondering what the fourth one does. Wink

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: May 07, 2010, 01:08:37 AM »

I'm wondering what the fourth one does. Wink
He keeps a music instrument shop. He's sorta the type that can't say "no" so the drunk one takes advantage of that and makes him pay for everything, suits, booze, hotel etc. "You buy this, I'll buy the next one." But in the end those two are the only true friends in the band. I think you should watch some of Matti Ijäs' works if you can find them. Purely for educational purposes, of course Wink   

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7924 on: May 07, 2010, 11:26:57 AM »

Man of the West - 6/10 - A big, fat disappointment. Everything is in place for a really good Western, but Mann keeps screwing things up. The film is terribly slow-paced, the plot indifferently executed, the characters poorly developed: the internicine gang politics are puerile and simplistic compared to Mann's better work, and the "men outliving their time" theme isn't developed so much as it is asserted. Even the shootouts are a bit lethargic. Gary Cooper proves again (if Vera Cruz wasn't proof enough) that playing a bad guy, even a reformed one, is beyond him, and Lee J. Cobb chews more scenery than a starved Tasmanian Devil. Julie London is lovely but has little to do aside from her near-striptease. There are several great individual scenes - the train robbery, the striptease, the big fistfight - and as usual for Mann the location work is gorgeous (especially in the final showdown), but the whole doesn't amount to much. My least favorite Mann Western.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:34:17 AM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: May 07, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »

Man of the West - 6/10 - A big, fat disappointment. Everything is in place for a really good Western, but Mann keeps screwing things up. The film is terribly slow-paced, the plot indifferently executed, the characters poorly developed: the internicine gang politics are puerile and simplistic compared to Mann's better work, and the "men outliving their time" theme isn't developed so much as it is asserted. Even the shootouts are a bit lethargic. Gary Cooper proves again (if Vera Cruz wasn't proof enough) that playing a bad guy, even a reformed one, is beyond him, and Lee J. Cobb chews more scenery than a starved Tasmanian Devil. Julie London is lovely but has little to do aside from her near-striptease. There are several great individual scenes - the train robbery, the striptease, the big fistfight - and as usual for Mann the location work is gorgeous (especially in the final showdown), but the whole doesn't amount to much. My least favorite Mann Western.
That about covers it. I'd add that there's a certain amount of unintentional humor at the end. Cobb's death always cracks me up.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7926 on: May 07, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »

Cooper yelling "I'm takin' you in!" like a stock character from a '30s Western serial is pretty cheesy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:31 AM »

Iron Man 2 (2010) - 8/10. You can't cast a film with Downey, Sam Rockwell, Don Cheadle, Mickey Rourke, and Gary Shandling (as a sleazy Senator) and have a bad movie. You can't, because those actors don't work in bad movies. If they're in the film it's because they've read and approved the script. And the script for IM2 is good (don't let anyone tell you differently). It's not going to win an Oscar, but it's efficient, it moves a lot of characters around, gives those characters depth, and delivers tons of humor. Some of the gags are for insiders only (I doubt Groggy is going to note Stan Lee's amusing cameo, for example) but there are still plenty of laughs for the hoi poloi. There isn't a lot of action, and what there is suffers from the standard fake look of CGI (although in one sequence, the race in Monaco, Favreau does the car collisions in slo-mo, and that added bit of manipulation made the CGI work for me).  The worst thing about the first film was the rock-em-sock-em-robot finale, and IM2's climax improves on that (although the action remains a little hard to follow at times). You can nit-pick problems in it (e.g. Scarlett Johansson is too short to play Black Widow), but on balance, I'd say the sequel improves on the original. And hey, with this one you get both an AC/DC intro AND an outro!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7928 on: May 08, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »

The Professionals - 8/10 - Sixth (?) viewing. I like the ending less each time I see it. Otherwise it's still a fun film.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: May 08, 2010, 06:30:07 PM »

Brutti, sporchi e cattivi (1976) Together with Lo scopone scientifico and Un borghese piccolo piccolo this is the harshest italian comedy ever made, probably. And this in a genre (the "italian comedy") noted for merging the laughs with bitter social criticism . What I like about this movie is the fact that it holds true to the title The Ugly, Dirty and Bad Ones: which has become proverbial in Italy ever since, much more than GBU.There is not a single redeeming feature or character in the story, no room for politically correctedness. What I would have liked is to have more pungent, quotable dialogues: had Age and Scarpelli been involved in it probably this could have made a ten best ever italian comedies. Like it is it makes the best 30. Of course, this is a must see anyway for Manfredi's huge performance: he was an italian Jack Lemmon, only better. 7\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: May 08, 2010, 08:33:43 PM »

Once Upon a Time in the Midlands (2002) - 3 (?) out of 10

I don't know if this was supposed to be some sort of homage to Sergio Leone but I couldn't get past the first 30-something minutes, and I don't think I'll bother again.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7931 on: May 09, 2010, 04:02:39 PM »

March or Die - 7/10 - 2nd viewing.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7932 on: May 10, 2010, 06:19:56 PM »

Major Barbara - 6-7/10 - I really love the play it's based on, so it gets some points for that. Plus the acting is mostly excellent: Wendy Hiller is at her most lovely and endearing, and a lot of up-and-coming British stars - Rex Harrison, Robert Newton, Deborah Kerr, Stanley Holloway - turn up in roles of various sizes. The film has a number of strikes against it, though. Unlike Pygmalion, it's basically a filmed play, and aside from some Lean-created montages late in the film there's not much cinematic value here. My biggest problem is the way they handled Undershaft: in the play he's a wonderfully devious, amoral character, in the movie he mostly seems like a potty old man in a disreputable job. Don't know if the problem is with the adaptation (I know Shaw wrote the screenplay, don't bother pointing it out) or Robert Morley's performance but he didn't come off well at all. A mixed bag, but on the whole I'd have rather watched a stage production.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: May 11, 2010, 12:58:32 AM »

Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) - 5/10
Otherwise it would have been 4/10 but the visualisation of the final flashback/revelation is kinda interesting. 

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: May 12, 2010, 03:02:56 AM »

X-Men (2000) Perfect no-brainer, with unrelenting narrative rhythm and great sets. The special effects are already outdated but it's great fun. 8\10

Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM