Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:19:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1833905 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7950 on: May 13, 2010, 06:36:49 PM »

Yeah, it's real rough when I mention the remake as not being the film in question.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7951 on: May 13, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »

Helvetica - 7/10 - Documentary on visual and text design I watched for a class. Not bad considering its subject matter.

The Big Lebowski - 5/10 - I assume there are two pre-requisites to liking this film: a) enjoying Jeff Bridges's Stoner schtick, and b) liking random, off-the-wall shit tossed at the screen. I have no great affinity for either. It has its moments of sporadic hilarity - particularly John Goodman as the pseudo-John Milius, and Sam Elliot is always welcome - and some great lines, but it never amounts to anything, funny or otherwise. It takes more than being weird to make me laugh. I'll watch Fargo and then decide whether or not to give up on the Coen Bros.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: May 14, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »

The Big Lebowski - 5/10 - I assume there are two pre-requisites to liking this film: a) enjoying Jeff Bridges's Stoner schtick, and b) liking random, off-the-wall shit tossed at the screen. I have no great affinity for either. It has its moments of sporadic hilarity - particularly John Goodman as the pseudo-John Milius, and Sam Elliot is always welcome - and some great lines, but it never amounts to anything, funny or otherwise. It takes more than being weird to make me laugh. I'll watch Fargo and then decide whether or not to give up on the Coen Bros.
Fargo isn't exactly a laugh riot, so don't go in with false expectations.

I like Lebowski, although it isn't their funniest movie (Hudsucker Proxy probably is). The funniest stuff in TBL comes not from the principals but from the walk-on characters: the cop at the impound lot, for example, or Ben Gazzara's Jackie Treehorn (who provides one of my fave visual gags of all time). The film also follows (vaguely) certain conventions from Chandler novels, and identifying those as they come up can provide a certain (mild) pleasure. All in all, better than a "5", I think. At least a "6."

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7953 on: May 14, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »

Like I said, I did like parts of the film (I was ROFL when Goodman pulled the gun on the guy who stepped over the line), and it's possible that I'd like it better on a rewatch. But I don't know if I liked the whole enough to rewatch it. If that makes sense.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:54:28 PM by Groggy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7954 on: May 14, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »

You guys have no sense of humour. It's not the funniest movies by the Coen bros, it's the funniest thing in the world.

ROBIN HOOD (2010) - 3/10

Saw it. It sucks. Same level as Kingdom of Heaven. Thinking that this guy at some point, was able to do Alien, Blade Runner and Thelma And Louise makes me sick.

Bad cinematography. I'm not even criticizing the shaky cam. The whole audience laughed during two slow motions during the final battle, and don't get me started on the flash backs. Appart from a couple CGI shots that looked like CGI but were pretty cool (London), nothing that doesn't deserve to be thrown to garbage here.
No characterisation. Average-to-low-quality dialogues. Inconsistent plot, filled with cliché (makes The Patriot look like an autor film) and non sense (Robin, walking in the wood, finds the horse with Richard's crown; Robin, walking in the wood, finds a dying man who's actually the son of his father's friend; Robin's father, carving rocks, was actually the greatest philosopher of all times and wrote the Charter of Human Rights; and so on and so forth during 2 hours).
A single thing was ok in the whole movie: Richard, that we usually see coming at the end of any Robin Hood movie surrounded by a crew of angels and elves while a loud religious music is playing in the background is here a fat bastard. Brave, but still a bastard.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: May 14, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »

ROBIN HOOD (2010) - 3/10
Saw it. It sucks.

Didn't see it. It sucks. 0\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7956 on: May 14, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »

Didn't see it. It sucks. 0\10

Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: May 14, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »

Good Day for a Hanging (1958) 6/10

The Hired Gun (1957) 6/10

The Wrestler (2008) 7.5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: May 14, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »

It's not the funniest movies by the Coen bros, it's the funniest thing in the world.

Yeah. Sure.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: May 14, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »

I'll chime in, its a pretty funny almost cult classic.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: May 14, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »

No, I respect everybody's opinion, it's just that I don't understand what do people find so funny in it. It is an entertaining, well crafted movie, that I don't deny, but I don't quite buy it being a work of art compared to... I don't know, Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 04:11:11 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: May 14, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »

Well maybe the throwback to the 60's stoner counterculture here in the US, maybe that doesn't translate/manifest itself very well in other cultures.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7962 on: May 14, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »

Zulu - 9/10 - How many times have I seen this now? I forget.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7963 on: May 15, 2010, 02:02:18 AM »

Yeah. Sure.

even the boss agrees with me...

It's always hard to explain why you find a comedy funny. I guess that this whole culture clash structure, with all these characters trying to act like in movies (Killgore from apocalypse now could perfectly fit in there), added to the Dude who's trying to adapt everywhere, reusing words he heard here and there, is the quintessence of what the Coen Brothers are good at AND what resonates in there work with me.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: May 15, 2010, 03:26:25 AM »

Zulu - 9/10 - How many times have I seen this now? I forget.
You haven't seen it until you've seen it on Blu. The UK disc is amazing.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM