Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 09:50:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843614 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8010 on: May 24, 2010, 01:14:28 PM »

Red Dragon (2002) - from 6.5 to 7/10

Watched this a few times so far: entertaining catch-the-bad man/mad killer schlock. Basically, when Hopkins isn't there it ain't worth jack. 2 hours is too much. Way below The Silence of the Lambs, way above the atrocious Manhunter, slightly better than Hannibal. I yet have to watch Hannibal Rising.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: May 24, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »

Heaven and Hell (1963) - 9.5/10
The best Kurosawa I've seen. I was expecting it to be a kidnapping drama all the way through but the change of direction after the first hour is an interesting and good decision. I think the movie shows the anatomy of crime investigation pretty realistically (what do I know about it, anyway?) and gives a sense of how frustrating and boring it can be but does it without boring the audience. But, Dave, do Japanese really wear sunglasses as often as they do in movies and, more importantly, do they wear them at night?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: May 24, 2010, 04:46:27 PM »

In fact, Japanese hardly ever wear sunglasses, because that would be a sign of presumption. Movies are where you see sunglasses in Japan; or on movie stars. They're de rigueur for Japanese cinema, much like car chases are in American films.

Glad you like High and Low (as it's titled in the U.S.--although "Heaven and Hell" is probably a more accurate translation). I think it's probably Kurosawa's best. Much of the plotting comes directly from the Ed McBain source novel (Kings Ransom), but AK makes the material his own (and adds a bit of Dostoevsky at the end). I agree with your observation: the first hour of the film is almost a self-contained one-set drama, and then everything moves outward and expands, turning into an entirely different movie. At 142 minutes it is not a short film, but the thing speeds by and you don't notice how long it is. Great cast, helmed by the very best in 60s male leads--Mifune and Tatsuya Nakadai. And it's one of the few features I've seen set in Yokohama (which has changed a lot since). The b&w photography--in Tohoscope--is gorgeous.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: May 24, 2010, 08:22:03 PM »

8MM (1999) - 3 or 4 out of 10

The only reason I watched this till the end (although I did miss the first 20 minutes or so) is because I never saw it before. Basically, it's a more vulgar and cheap-thrilled version of Paul Schrader's Hardcore. I guess we could say it's very modern and hip. Watch out for Jack Betts.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: May 25, 2010, 01:53:28 AM »

A couple of Finnish short films by film students or young professionals:

Tokio Baby (2010) - 7/10
"Tokio Baby is a story about 15-year-old Saara whose fate is to be stuck on her parents' farm. She can only dream of an escape from the idyllic countryside to Animecon, a Japanese animation and comics festival, when she gets grounded for three days. Hara-kiri! Saara is saved from dying of boredom by her imaginary friend Aiko, whose totally zenless anarchy makes the rift between Saara and her parents even bigger." Lighthearted and free in style but the story is unoriginal.

Pikkuveli (2010) - 7/10
"14-year old Matias is being forced to spend the Midsummer holiday with his two adult half-sisters, at their friends' annual Midsummer celebration. Neither Matias or his sisters are excited about the plan - as a result of their parents' messy divorce, they have chosen their sides. At the summer cabin the rift between Matias and his younger big sister Liina tears open and reveals new secrets. A story about children who carry their parents' grudges." Well written and acted but visually it's the same lackluster as every other movie these days.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: May 26, 2010, 06:44:18 AM »

Carrie (1976) - 7.5/10
The opening scene doesn't really work, most of the time the mom isn't convincing and the low-budget look is a bit distracting, but other than that it's surprisingly good.

BTW, this was originally banned in Finland (untill 1991 I think) Roll Eyes Could be just a story, but I've heard that at the same time it was shown in Swedish schools as part of the education...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 06:50:23 AM by moviesceleton » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8016 on: May 26, 2010, 08:36:41 AM »

Seven Men From Now - 8-9/10 - Wonderfully economical Western: nice story, sharply drawn characters, fine script, good performances (especially Lee Marvin in a role that may top Liberty Valance) and great location work.

Hondo - 6-7/10 - This is about as "typical" as a John Wayne Western can get. Some great individual scenes (any time Ward Bond turns up is great), but the romance isn't very good, mostly because Duke and Geraldine Page have little-to-no chemistry, and the story is pretty by-the-numbers. Worth a look, but nothing special. Nice to see Sierra Charriba in a larger-than-normal role.

Today is the Duke's birthday, and TCM is having a few of his early B Westerns on today, plus Stagecoach and They Were Expendable.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: May 26, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »

Today is the Duke's birthday, and TCM is having a few of his early B Westerns on today, plus Stagecoach and They Were Expendable.
Hmmm, I guess I'd better watch Criterion's new Stagecoach Blu-ray . . . .

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8018 on: May 26, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »

Any thoughts on They Were Expendable? I've wanted to see that for a long time, so I'm glad TCM is accomodating.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: May 26, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »

Well, I like it (I don't know if that's recommendation enough for you . . . .)

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: May 26, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »

Repo Man (1984) - 7/10

Watched this for the first time - it's okay, wacky. The third act seems missing, instead of it just a bunch of stuff thrown in. Well, to be honest the first two 'acts' weren't much acts to start with. Very economical directing but in a couple of spots you can really tell it's low budget. Watch out for Vonetta McGee. Wink

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: May 27, 2010, 01:07:48 AM »

Repo Man (1984) - 7/10

Watched this for the first time - it's okay, wacky. The third act seems missing, instead of it just a bunch of stuff thrown in. Well, to be honest the first two 'acts' weren't much acts to start with. Very economical directing but in a couple of spots you can really tell it's low budget. Watch out for Vonetta McGee. Wink
Yea, it's a silly movie.

Volver (2006) - 8.5/10
Almodovar rarely aims at any universal comment or message but as a storyteller he's tops.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8022 on: May 27, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »

A Bridge Too Far - 9/10 - 3rd viewing.

J.B.
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: May 28, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »

Last flick I saw was Iron Man 2 at the IMAX theater. It was actually good for a superhero movie, and I think I may be giving this either 7/10 or 8/10. It's comparable to The Dark Knight, even though that's wildly overrated...

Today I'm going to see Shrek IV with the family, so I'll probably review that later.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8024 on: May 28, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »

Battleground - 9/10 - 2nd viewing.

Sands of Iwo Jima - 6-7/10 - About as cornball and cliche as a war movie can get, but still good enough for what it is. Wayne is the main reason to watch even if his character is pretty two-dimensional (I did like his scene with the hooker and her baby). Most of the battle scenes are good, though the use of archival footage is pretty obvious. The character development is pretty tiresome - especially the twin brothers who keep slugging each other - but who needs that nonsense in a movie like this?

Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM