Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 12:50:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1765568 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8070 on: June 11, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »

The Sand Pebbles (1966) - 10/10. China in the 20s: a U.S. gunboat: McQueen: a decent score: helmed by director-producer Robert Wise. What's not to like? Although not a great artist, Wise was a consummate craftsman: even when working on the most wretched of projects (The Sound of Music, say), his technical virtuosity gave his work interest. When employed on material more worthy of his talents, as was the case on The Sand Pebbles, his skills raised the film to the level of a masterpiece. Every shot in this movie is a thing of beauty, and the editing (Wise started as an editor) is immaculate. Even more significant is Robert Anderson's screenplay, which wastes nothing, has several exciting set pieces, builds wonderfully to a powerful climax, and is able to delineate at least five genuine character-like characters. And all five characters, over the course of three hours (which speeds by) change (and do so credibly).

When you place it beside Wise's other films, this is the one that shines brightest. But comparisons with the other widescreen, color, historical epics of the 60s favor it as well. This film is certainly better than The Alamo, El Cid, Lawrence, Mutiny on the Bounty, the beautiful but vacuous Zhivago. Probably the only film of its type it does not exceed is Bondarchuk's War and Peace, which really should be considered 2 (or more) films. GBU vs. The Sand Pebbles? Let's say those two films are at par.

And we are exceedingly blessed to have a Blu-ray edition worthy of this great film. I can't wait to watch this again.

It's really good, but 10/10 seems a bit much. This is definitely McQueen best performance, and the battle at the end is incredible. I don't really like the Attenborough subplot though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: June 11, 2010, 01:21:41 PM »

It's really good, but 10/10 seems a bit much. This is definitely McQueen best performance, and the battle at the end is incredible. I don't really like the Attenborough subplot though.
I liked the fact that it wasn't over-milked, and that it tied in (finally) with the main storyline. And his death comes as a shock (none of the major catastrophes are telegraphed: the audience is always just as surprised as the characters by what happens).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8072 on: June 11, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »

I liked the fact that it wasn't over-milked, and that it tied in (finally) with the main storyline. And his death comes as a shock (none of the major catastrophes are telegraphed: the audience is always just as surprised as the characters by what happens).

Nah, Attenborough's romance was definitely set-up for a sad ending. I would agree about Mako's death which definitely comes out of left field.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8073 on: June 11, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »

Downfall - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: June 12, 2010, 02:49:44 AM »

I'm convinced that that film can only be properly appreciated when seen in a cinema.
What happened to your new religion called Blu-Ray? Roll Eyes

American Gangster (2007) - 8/10
Scott's best since Gladiator, but there isn't much competition, is there?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8075 on: June 12, 2010, 08:17:44 AM »

American Gangster (2007) - 8/10
Scott's best since Gladiator, but there isn't much competition, is there?

That's probably my favorite Scott film, which gives you an idea of how big a "fan" I am of his work.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: June 12, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »

What happened to your new religion called Blu-Ray? Roll Eyes
For this film, according to the reviews, the Blu-ray didn't come through. Maybe there will be an acceptable remaster in the future.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8077 on: June 12, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »

Triumph of the Will - 7/10 - The best stab I can make at rating it. Nice camera work and spectacle, and it's obviously of great historical interest, but it does drag a lot. Granted this isn't meant as entertainment in the strictest sense.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: June 12, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) - 7/10. This film has one of the most impressive 30-minute openings of any film of its era, but then the whole thing goes south. Welles always blamed the studio for screwing things up, and no doubt they compromised what could have been a better work, but I've pretty much come round to Robert Carringer's way of thinking: the property, which was essentially an adaptation of a Welles radio play (of a Booth Tarkington novel), needed more work than Welles alone could have given it (there was no co-writer on this one). After all, the story is about a spoiled mama's boy who annoys everyone for 80 minutes and then finally gets his comeuppance. Citizen Kane this ain't. Cool sets, costumes, and, of course, elaborate camera work, but, in the end, a very trivial subject.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8079 on: June 12, 2010, 04:54:29 PM »

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) - 7/10. This film has one of the most impressive 30-minute openings of any film of its era, but then the whole thing goes south. Welles always blamed the studio for screwing things up, and no doubt they compromised what could have been a better work, but I've pretty much come round to Robert Carringer's way of thinking: the property, which was essentially an adaptation of a Welles radio play (of a Booth Tarkington novel), needed more work than Welles alone could have given it (there was no co-writer on this one). After all, the story is about a spoiled mama's boy who annoys everyone for 80 minutes and then finally gets his comeuppance. Citizen Kane this ain't. Cool sets, costumes, and, of course, elaborate camera work, but, in the end, a very trivial subject.

I more or less agree. Technically, I think it's an amazing movie, pretty close to Kane. Storywise, it's pretty trite. That balances out to a 7 or low 8 rating.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8080 on: June 12, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »

All About Eve - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: June 13, 2010, 03:38:46 AM »

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Can't really rate it... somewhere around 8-9.5/10. I've seen it a couple of times before, last time 2-3 years ago, but this was the first time I really enjoyed watching it, maybe because I knew what to expect (and no I wasn't high and a couple of beers don't do nothing). Now I only need to see it in 70mm; I have a feeling that my 26" telly doesn't really do justice to the visuals...

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: June 13, 2010, 05:43:20 AM »

Ikarie XB 1 (1963) "Voyage to the End of the Universe" - 8/10
"A giant spaceship carrying colonists to a new planet runs into unexpected troubles on its journey, ranging from encounters with abandoned alien craft to malfunctioning onboard computers and tensions among its crew and passengers." (IMDb) Would make a great double bill with 2001. It clearly had influence on Kubrick although its special effects don't come even close to those in 2001.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8083 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »

Charlie Wilson's War - 8/10 - 4th viewing.

Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: June 14, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »

Send Jess Biel my way then , I wouldn't mind  Tongue

Now I've watched Elm Street 2-6 & NN , just average at best fare........ES3 & NN is among the best sequels , but I'm not a huge ES fan.

Eaten Alive 3.5/6.......bit under par but seen worse
Terror Train 3.5/6.......end was all right , this poor mans Halloween
Giant 4/6 , bit on the tedious side since it's over 3 hrs & not very exciting......Dean was a good actor but I prefer Bruce Lee if we're talkin "they died too soon" actors even though Lee wasn't the best actor

007 star Willard Whyte is gone......Jimmy Dean Sad

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:40:07 PM by Big Boss 1971 » Logged

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM