Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 03:51:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1831733 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8130 on: July 05, 2010, 12:46:39 PM »

55 Days at Peking (1963) I saw this at the theatre when released and didn't like it, probably for the reasons I liked it this second time. This is good adventure with little or no preaching (except for the character of the chinese kid which I would have gladly eliminated). Actually there are some good lines: "You can't kill Chinese the way you do with Redskins in your country". The Chinese know they are being exploited, the foreign powers representatives know they're there to exploit: and that's that. It's all action. The love story is superfluous, but it is not much played upon and it's OK with me: Ava Gardner, though not visibly anymore in her prime, still owns a scene. The action scenes are spectacular, the characters are not exactly Hollywood moulded, the fanfares play on the screen but not in the dialogues. I give it 7\10 only because of the chinese kid scenes. I'm gonna watch it again sometime.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8131 on: July 05, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

I hated the romance and the script was pretty creaky. Good battle scenes though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: July 06, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »

As Tears Go By - 4/5
Days of Being Wild - 4/5
Chungking Express - 4/5
Ashes of Time - 3/5
Fallen Angels - 3/5
Happy Together - 2/5
In the Mood For Love - 4/5

Click - 1/5
Buffalo '66 - 3/5
The Green Mile - 4/5
Dead Man Walking - 3/5
28 Days Later... - 3/5
The Matrix - 3/5
Johnny Guitar - 3/5
The Red Shoes - 3/5

Toy Story - 4/5
Toy Story 2 - 3/5
Toy Story 3 - 4/5

Just a few movies I remember watching for the first time within the past month and a half or so.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:32:19 AM by rrpower » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8133 on: July 06, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »

It's alive!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8134 on: July 06, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »

The Far Country - 8-9/10 - Has possibly the best plot of any of the Mann-Stewart Westerns, a nice consistent pace and compelling story. The big lesson about not being a selfish ass is unsubtle but not unpalatable. Great location shooting, excellent set-pieces, a great villain in John McIntire. The climax felt a little underwhelming though.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8135 on: July 07, 2010, 01:59:25 PM »

How Green Was My Valley - 7/10 - 2nd viewing, though not since I was ten. Granted, I haven't read the book it's based on, but it seemed to suffer from much of what ailed Great Expectations - namely a clogged narrative that tried to do too much and ended up covering too little. Lots of events and plot points seem scarcely dealt with, and the pace is often sluggish. To Ford's credit, though, it's very well-photographed (though one wonders how Technicolor would have helped), and features excellent performances by Roddy McDowell and Donald Crisp; Maureen O'Hara has never been prettier. It's also very much in the Grapes of Wrath vein, much darker and less sentimental (at least until the very end) than Ford's usual work, though the bits of humor do work well - the one scene I remembered strongly from childhood, the two miners beating up the school teacher, is a particular highlight. Worth a look, but not one of Ford's best films.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8136 on: July 08, 2010, 12:30:10 PM »

Lost Command - 7/10 - Well, take Battle of Algiers, remove all of the political content and give it to a competent but unremarkable Hollywood screenwriter and director, shoot it in Almeria and you'd get this. It's an odd film on a lot of levels: if taken as a straight battle epic, it isn't bad, with a pretty good cast and exciting action scenes. It's hard to consider it without the political baggage though, presenting the complex, morally dubious wars in Vietnam/Indochina and Algeria as shoot 'em up galleries for Rambo-style action heroes, with a few off-hand misgivings about torture etc. I will say it was better than I expected.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:37:45 PM by Groggy » Logged

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: July 08, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »

The Silence (1963) - 5/10
Didn't really resonate with me. It takes like an hour before the film gets to any kind of "point". Sven Nykvist triumphs again, though.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: July 09, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »

The Bridges of Madison County (1995) - 9.5/10
Eastwood's best directorial work. Yes, Unforgiven and Mystic River are great too but This. Is. The. Shit.

Lost this MS's reply somewhere in the merging process, and we can't have that.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8139 on: July 09, 2010, 12:31:11 PM »

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. Tempted to give it a 10 unless I can think of something wrong with it.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: July 10, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

The Man with a Camera (1929) - 9/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8141 on: July 10, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »

Abe Lincoln in Illinois - 8/10 - A nice, solid biopic of Abraham Lincoln. Raymond Massey's casting as Lincoln is inspired: he's a dead ringer for Honest Abe and his performance is absolutely perfect. All the expected big events are present and handled well, especially the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, with a very snide Gene Lockhardt as Douglas. It's hard to compare it directly to Young Mr. Lincoln, which is a much more abstract and poetic film, but it's very good in its own right.

Ride Lonesome - 8/10 - Another solid Budd Boetticher Western, though I didn't like it quite as much as 7 Men From Now. Fun to see Lee Van Cleef and James Coburn in surprisingly-large "before they were famous" parts. The finale is brilliant though.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8142 on: July 11, 2010, 08:49:38 AM »

Jurassic Park - 9/10 - 3,654th viewing, I think.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8143 on: July 11, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »

Tried to watch John Milius's Farewell to the King. The first half-hour was laughably bad (mostly due to a hilariously over-the-top Nick Nolte) so I gave up.

Then I switched over to...

The General - 8/10 - Liked this one a lot.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »

Tried to watch John Milius's Farewell to the King. The first half-hour was laughably bad (mostly due to a hilariously over-the-top Nick Nolte) so I gave up.

I did exactly the same thing a few years ago.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM