Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 10:32:41 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839294 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8175 on: July 19, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »

Capone (1975) A not memorable biopic, with Gazzara (an actor I don't particularly go mad for) giving a subdued portrait of the gangster. Sure, De Niro probably forced the character to excess but made it memorable, this one makes you rather sleep. Actually, the shifty Nitti played by Stallone (his first relevant role before Rocky?) is more convincing. Anyway 7\10 because the story  is entertaining and a fast pace, and because Susan Blakely shows a lot of skin.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: July 19, 2010, 05:51:34 PM »

The Helen Morgan Story (1957) I'm one of the few to have watched this movie and probably the only one to have liked it. I read some reviews at IMDB and they're all negative. I bought the dvd essentially because it promised to have lots of music of the era (the '20's): promise amply maintained, as there are about 20 numbers most of which I didn't know. But the story is interesting, the characters not of the stock kind, the  plot twists are  interesting and you never guess what's gonna happen for most of the movie. "Tearjerker"? Yes, but only in the finale. 8\10.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8177 on: July 19, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »

Capone (1975) A not memorable biopic, with Gazzara (an actor I don't particularly go mad for) giving a subdued portrait of the gangster. Sure, De Niro probably forced the character to excess but made it memorable, this one makes you rather sleep. Actually, the shifty Nitti played by Stallone (his first relevant role before Rocky?) is more convincing. Anyway 7\10 because the story  is entertaining and a fast pace, and because Susan Blakely shows a lot of skin.

I vaguely remember seeing that flick on Fox Movie Channel years ago. Lots of the action scenes were lifted wholesale from The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, as I recall.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8178 on: July 20, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »

Kapo - 8/10 - Gillo Pontecorvo takes on the Holocaust. The first half is great, really dark and harrowing stuff. The second half is more conventional - I could have done without the romance in particular - but still well-done, and the prison break finale is excellent. Susan Strasberg is excellent, but I might have prefered if she remained an opportunist through the end. Definitely better than Burn! and Ogro, still not in a league with Battle of Algiers (but what is?).

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: July 20, 2010, 04:34:49 PM »

Van Helsing (2004) - 3/10

1 for David Wenham's funny friar, 1 for Hugh Jackman's looks and 1 for Frankenstein's monster being a good guy.

The rest... is crap.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: July 20, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »

Kapo - 8/10 - Gillo Pontecorvo takes on the Holocaust. The first half is great, really dark and harrowing stuff. The second half is more conventional - I could have done without the romance in particular - but still well-done, and the prison break finale is excellent. Susan Strasberg is excellent, but I might have prefered if she remained an opportunist through the end. Definitely better than Burn! and Ogro, still not in a league with Battle of Algiers (but what is?).
Been meaning to see this. I'll add it to my Barnes & Nobel Criterion order.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Whalestoe
« Reply #8181 on: July 20, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »

Badlands - 9/10

Glad I finally got around to seeing Badlands. Definitely gets docked a point for Warren Oates kicking the bucket so soon. Hey, who doesn't want to see more of Oates?

Inception 8-9/10

I was completely lost in this movie while watching it. However, once it wraps up and you mull over a few plot points in your head, it's score degrades. Still fantastic and easily the film to see this summer.

Paris, TX - 10/10

Duh.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:25:12 PM by Whalestoe » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: July 21, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »

Hollywood Homicide (2003) - 2/10

Caught 10 or 15 minutes of this a few days ago.

I wish I didn't.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8183 on: July 21, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »

The Third Man - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. It definitely went up this time, though I'm still not crazy about the score or Joseph Cotten.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: July 21, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »

Suddenly (1954) This flick has got a good narrative rhythm (thank god, it is under 80 minutes long) and great performances by the actors, Sinatra being maybe at his best. But it is dated as to characters, expecially the would-be killers. They're there for the money, but then we have to discover that their boss, Sinatra, had some neurological problems, because only a crazy man would think to kill the president, and for money at that. The killers do not get rid of the sheriff and the ex-agent immediately and of course this will lead them to failure. That Sinatra may wonder at the fact that, after a shooting at the station the train carrying the president won't stop reveals the amateurishness of some parts of the screenplay. 6\10   

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8185 on: July 22, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »

Twelve Angry Men - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. I was bothered by a few small things that I didn't notice before but otherwise it's still great.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8186 on: July 23, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »

Twelve Angry Men  [...]. I was bothered by a few small things that I didn't notice [...]

Such as?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: July 23, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »

Twelve Angry Men - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. I was bothered by a few small things that I didn't notice before but otherwise it's still great.
I'm guessing you're talking about the Lumet adaptation. I'd still like to know how the original teleplay compares. Anybody seen it?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: July 24, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »

Was fantastic to see Walken live on stage.......you yanks and Brits are too spoiled and prolly can see stars all the time in person but for me it was a HUGE deal  Afro

Dogs of War was meh.......I miseed the last 10 mins though.

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8189 on: July 24, 2010, 09:21:35 PM »

Had Dolph gotten better scripts and had more luck hed be a big star like Arnold and Sly.......it just wasnt meant toi be for him it seems.

Bronson deserved better than the DW sequels.......theyre OK to watch to kill time but shouldve been better script wise considering how big a star Bronson used to be in the 60s.......I cant blame him , earning his daily bread and so forth.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:25:56 PM by Big Boss 1971 » Logged

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM