Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 04:19:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1767577 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8190 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »

Such as?

Maybe didn't notice isn't the right way to phrase it. Things that didn't bother me the first time around

The big one was Ed Begley's big breakdown, where everyone literally got up and turned their back to him. Just seemed completely false and overly "theatrical" to me.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: July 25, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »

Was fantastic to see Walken live on stage.......you yanks and Brits are too spoiled and prolly can see stars all the time in person but for me it was a HUGE deal  Afro
Saw Walken recently (with Sam Rockwell) in A Behanding in Spokane. I was mightily entertained, but I can't say I was overly impressed to be in the living presence of the Great One. As you say, I'm probably spoiled.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: July 26, 2010, 03:19:01 AM »

Kapò (1959) - There's is little I liked about this. Probably only Strasberg dressed as a teenager or as a kapò (less in prisoner or army uniform). First time I saw this I liked the first part more than the second. This time I probably liked more the theme of sacrificing somebody behind his back. Still it is too phony: too much talking, moralizing, "showing": Pontecorvo says he was inspired by Levi's book, an example of extreme restrain in all those regards. It was inevitable that sacrifices to spectacularity should be made when transposing this stuff to the big screen. Probably Resnais documentary approach to the same matter is the only viable.  5\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8193 on: July 26, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

A Canterbury Tale - 8/10 - I can't agree with the school of thought that this is Powell and Pressburger's best work; it's pretty middling by their standards, which still means a very good movie. The film is rather plain directorally (barring the famous "match cut"), lots of nice location photography but little of the wonderful style of Colonel Blimp, The Red Shoes and so on, and it definitely lacks the edge and depth of the Archers' other war time films. Still, it's a treat to watch: P&P wring a lot out of the silly, very thin plot, and as usual they create a wonderful cast of characters who are interesting to just watch be themselves. Eric Portman's nothing special but the other leads are great, especially John Sweet. Its depiction of war time England, though highly idyllic and romanticized, is another definite plus; this is a much gentler, more appealing brand of patriotism than what Hollywood usually puts out. Perhaps this would grow on me with repeat viewings.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:05:48 PM by Groggy » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8194 on: July 26, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »

Once Upon A Time In The West - New restored version, in a theater

I won't rate that movie 'cause it's above most possible ratings.
Concerning the restored version, I wasn't impressed. Colors are probably a bit more saturated than what we know, but if it looks cool most of the time (not over-cool  nor fonzie-cool, actually, since you have to focus very hard on the topic to notice something), it also magnifies the flaws of the copy they used: some dark shots that were just a little too blue are now faaaaaaar too blue.
First time i watched a Leone on such a big screen (i had not done more than home cinema, which is already a great experience), and, even if it sounds cliché, I had the feeling to discover the movie once again. Every thing works just better (the bigger the better, as they say) but i also noticed numerous details (glances, silouhettes in the background, better understanding of some sets...) that add a lot to the movie.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:15:21 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: July 27, 2010, 02:26:30 AM »

Once Upon A Time In The West - New restored version, in a theater

I won't rate that movie 'cause it's above most possible ratings.
Concerning the restored version, I wasn't impressed. Colors are probably a bit more saturated than what we know, but if it looks cool most of the time (not over-cool  nor fonzie-cool, actually, since you have to focus very hard on the topic to notice something), it also magnifies the flaws of the copy they used: some dark shots that were just a little too blue are now faaaaaaar too blue.
First time i watched a Leone on such a big screen (i had not done more than home cinema, which is already a great experience), and, even if it sounds cliché, I had the feeling to discover the movie once again. Every thing works just better (the bigger the better, as they say) but i also noticed numerous details (glances, silouhettes in the background, better understanding of some sets...) that add a lot to the movie.
Damn that sounds great Afro It wouldn't, by any chance, happen to run while I'm in Paris? Grin

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8196 on: July 27, 2010, 03:52:29 AM »

Seriously, there is a little chance it will still be running. That OR another Leone. I wouldn't bet on this, but it may happen!

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8197 on: July 28, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex - 6/10 - If you're expecting your usual Flynn-Curtiz-De Havilland swashbuckler, turn back. Despite the leads and the usual trappings - sumptuous art direction, ravishing costumes, gorgeous Technicolor, a rousing Korngold score - it's really a talky, slow-moving period piece with lots of romantic squabbling and political intrigue. It's interesting up to a point but it definitely drags in spots and overall isn't very satisfying. Bette Davis is well-cast as Elizabeth but the film's portrayal of her is pretty one-note: a jilted lover acting tough in public. Flora Robson in The Sea Hawk was better. Flynn is good but seems at a loss with no swashbuckling to do; De Havilland has a glorified cameo. Nice supporting cast including Donald Crisp and Vincent Price helps a bit.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: July 28, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »

Presumed Innocent (1990) Though the trial scenes, as to be expected, are the backbone of the movie, it's a good work throughout except for the solution, too incredible. 7\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: July 28, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »

Donald Crisp
yeah, it was Crisp's birthday yesterday, so Turner was showing everything they could find with him in it: I saw Knute Rockne All American (in which he's Father Somebody) and National Velvet (where he's somebody's father) and a tiny bit of E & E.

I'm just glad I don't have to rely on TCM for my entertainment needs.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:10:45 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: July 29, 2010, 05:39:57 AM »

Pitch Black (2000)

Excellent start, but then starts losing steam and the second half looks very cheap.

Still, this is not the worst time waster out there.

6/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: July 29, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »

The Chronicles of Riddick (2004)

I used to hate this one when when it came out, but it is not that bad. Indecisive and scattered but interesting enough.

6/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: July 29, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »

Presumed Innocent (1990) Though the trial scenes, as to be expected, are the backbone of the movie, it's a good work throughout except for the solution, too incredible. 7\10

Just how fine was Greta Scacchi back in the days...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8203 on: July 29, 2010, 05:37:11 PM »

Inception - 7.5/10
In depth review:
1) Rare fact: the second half is better than the first one.
2) Biggest flaw: the movie takes itself far too seriously.

www.ThibautOskian.com
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: July 29, 2010, 08:30:38 PM »

Inception - 7.5/10
In depth review:
1) Rare fact: the second half is better than the first one.
2) Biggest flaw: the movie takes itself far too seriously.
they shouldve just killed Fischer instead of doing all that dream stuff. problem solved.

i saw it for the second time tonight, 8/10 probably

Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM