Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 08:17:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1836128 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8205 on: July 30, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »

Arsenic and Old Lace - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. I lol'd.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: July 31, 2010, 11:28:22 AM »

Night of the Blood Monster (The Bloody Judge) (1970) Jess Franco is one of the greatest amateurs in cinema history. I think it is hard to be in a business so many years and learn nothing: evben Eastwood managed to learn the basics. This movie hasn't got the tiniest reason to be seen. Not even, I fear, some T&A which, in the version I saw, were not visible. Main reason I saw this was for Margareth Lee, hoping she would show some skin, but nothing. So I give it 1\10 instead of 2\10 in spite of Lee (Christopher) and Genn's presence. 

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: July 31, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »

Peter Pan (2003) - 9/10

I found it very good, it was my favourite tale back then. But they really aim this movie at children? Sure, there are fairies, pirates and the like, but with all the Hook/Wendy subtext it was very Freudian. And I found myself rooting for Hook. Mainly because he's Jason Isaacs, but also because he's a lonely villain who needs a hug. (And has a whole collection of hook hands. And really, really enjoys the part.)

"Does this unit have a soul?"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: July 31, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »

Island of Terror (1966) An invasion Triffid-kinda movie. The aliens (man-created, actually) are not overly-ridiculous, but the movie has many thrilling moments and earns 6\10 in spite of looking dated. 

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: August 01, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »

Look what they did with X-Men, using "mutant" as code for homosexuality; Magneto comes up with a machine that doesn't just out other mutants, it actually turns straights into queers. This is an old gay fantasy: when the whole world is gay, there will be no one left to put queer culture down. And why do you think they're called X-men, anyway? The "x" designation indicating that there is some unnameable factor that's been added to their masculinity, at the same time that the sound "ex" suggest that something has been left behind. Notice how the theme of the film is understanding and tolerance, how the real villains are the humans who feel threatened by the mutants. Ian McKellen certainly knew what he was signing on for when he agreed to be cast as Magneto: one of the most visible gay-rights proponents in the acting profession, he's been "out" since 1988.

But are the mutant women lesbians?  

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) This is a good last part, with too many CGEžs in the final battle. Unfortunately all the mutant males want to have sex with mutant females, as they are apparenlty unaware of the "gay subtext" (but the mutant or superhero as an underdog is a staple of the genre, especially at Marvel since the birth of Spiderman). A minor mistake was not to give more screen time to the finally "normalized" Rebecca Romijn: she's very hot. 7\10    

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:42:37 AM by titoli » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8210 on: August 01, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »

A Tale of Two Cities (1935) - 8/10 - A surprisingly solid adaptation of the Dickens tome. It plays around a bit with the narrative and characters, but it keeps the general thrust and spirit of the novel intact. Some really impressive scenes, including the Eisenstein-esque storming of the Bastille (directed by Val Lewton apparently). Worth a look.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: August 01, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »

But are the mutant women lesbians?  

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) This is a good last part, with too many CGEžs in the final battle. Unfortunately all the mutant males want to have sex with mutant females, as they are apparenlty unaware of the "gay subtext" (but the mutant or superhero as an underdog is a staple of the genre, especially at Marvel since the birth of Spiderman). A minor mistake was not to give more screen time to the finally "normalized" Rebecca Romijn: she's very hot. 7\10    
No, subtext is, by definition, below the surface. At surface level the characters are hetero, as Cyclops (or Wolverine) is certainly humping Jean Grey. The point of the exercise is to use the mutants as a group to substitute for gay culture generally. Of course the mutants want to have sex with other mutants: having sex with a non-mutant would make them bi.

Btw, my comments were limited to the first movie. I never followed the sequels through to see if they were sticking to the initial premise.

Titoli, you are right on target regarding Ms. Romijn.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: August 02, 2010, 01:23:46 AM »

No, subtext is, by definition, below the surface. At surface level the characters are hetero, as Cyclops (or Wolverine) is certainly humping Jean Grey. The point of the exercise is to use the mutants as a group to substitute for gay culture generally. Of course the mutants want to have sex with other mutants: having sex with a non-mutant would make them bi.

Yes, but that the presumed subtext (that it existed at all it is not proven) may go AGAINST the text is stretching it too much, unless in the presence of a relevant and insisted ironic attitude throughout the text: which isn't the case. And then what are the elements that should persuade you to attribute the underdog subtext to gays and not to some other minority group like blacks, junkies or what else? No, I  don't buy it. As usual, you're making too complicated what is very simple: even because if it weren't simple they wouldn't produce it at all in the first place.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: August 02, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »

Nighthawks (1981) Good Stallone without preaching and overacting, with good action scenes. 7\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8214 on: August 02, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »

Gunfight at the OK Corral - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. It's definitely a typical Hollywood Western with lots of gloss, sheen and black-and-white good guys and bad guys, but that's not a bad thing. I was surprised (it having been years since I've seen it) that it took so long for the story to get to Tombstone; at least half the movie takes place in Dodge City, making the title a bit of a misnomer, and when we do get down to business with the Cowboys, it seems rather rushed. The gunfight itself is pretty darn good though of course it has little to with the real thing. The romances are poorly-handled and I could have done without either, and I didn't really like the constant Frankie Laine music (I do like some of his stuff, just not here). Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster are great, although part of me thinks they ought to have switched roles. The supporting cast was pretty one-note though Lee Van Cleef has a nice bit in the opening scene, and Dennis Hopper has a bit more to do than in most of his Westerns.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:53:22 PM by Groggy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: August 02, 2010, 02:27:15 PM »

And then what are the elements that should persuade you to attribute the underdog subtext to gays and not to some other minority group like blacks, junkies or what else?
Two things:
1) in post-racial America filmmakers are no longer interested in positioning themselves as Stanley Kramer wannabes and, as far as I know, junkies' rights have never been fashionable
AND
2) the presence of rabid gay rights advocate Ian McKellen in the role of militant mutant-rights director Magneto

Before titoli makes his usual sophomoric rebuttal: no, I'm not arguing that Ian McKellen by himself indicates a gay subtext (he's in plenty of films without it), he's just the clincher to my line of arguments. A necessary element, perhaps, but not sufficient.

Titoli will remain unpersuaded. But then, I never write to persuade titoli in particular, although I do hope occasionally that others reading "over our shoulders" will warm to my arguments. And even if any particular piece of mine is total B.S., at least it may entertain. It's been years since I gave up hoping titoli himself would ever say anything remotely interesting (B.S. or no).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: August 02, 2010, 03:27:54 PM »

Two things:
1) in post-racial America filmmakers are no longer interested in positioning themselves as Stanley Kramer wannabes and, as far as I know, junkies' rights have never been fashionable
AND
2) the presence of rabid gay rights advocate Ian McKellen in the role of militant mutant-rights director Magneto

Before titoli makes his usual sophomoric rebuttal: no, I'm not arguing that Ian McKellen by himself indicates a gay subtext (he's in plenty of films without it), he's just the clincher to my line of arguments. A necessary elemet, perhaps, but not sufficient.
tertaining. Actually it is the excTitoli will remain unpersuaded. But then, I never write to persuade titoli in particular, although I do hope occasionally that others reading "over our shoulders" will warm to my arguments. And even if any particular piece of mine is total B.S., at least it may entertain. It's been years since I gave up hoping titoli himself would ever say anything remotely interesting (B.S. or no).

Never said you weren't entertaining. Actually I always get loads of fun reading your more extreme elucubrations, as in this case. And I usually let it go at that. This time I took the pain to answer you (I don't like to start feuds because I haven't got the time) because YOU put a question to me when I reviewed the movie and I didn't understand what you were talking about. Now that you admit that your reasoning is based only on the fact that one of the actors is an advocate of gay rights (a fact completely unknown to me until you mentioned it) everything is clear. It wasn't a question of "subtext". Finis.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: August 02, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »

Ring of Fear (1954)  I bought the dvd only because Spillane was in it playing himself and being hired as a PI. Why producers didn't hire him when still young to play Mike Hammer remains a mystery as he can play very well, at least his character. The movie is interesting also for the circus numbers and can be seen at least once with interest. 6\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: August 02, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »

Now that you admit that your reasoning is based only on the fact that one of the actors is an advocate of gay rights (a fact completely unknown to me until you mentioned it) everything is clear. It wasn't a question of "subtext". Finis.
Amazing. I take pains to counter this charge in advance and you merely ignore it so you can misrepresent my position. You really are wasting your time here, you should be working as a journalist.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: August 03, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »

Amazing. I take pains to counter this charge in advance and you merely ignore it so you can misrepresent my position. You really are wasting your time here, you should be working as a journalist.

Finis.

Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM