Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:22:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1769489 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8220 on: August 03, 2010, 02:32:45 AM »

I heard there was a gay subtext in MILK too, but with Titoli's arguments and all, I'm not sure anymore.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: August 03, 2010, 04:19:19 AM »

I heard there was a gay subtext in MILK too, but with Titoli's arguments and all, I'm not sure anymore.
a

On the contrary, as the protagonist is a womanizer in real life, the subtext is a clear apology of eterosexual behaviour.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8222 on: August 03, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »

Two things:
1) in post-racial America filmmakers are no longer interested in positioning themselves as Stanley Kramer wannabes and, as far as I know, junkies' rights have never been fashionable
AND
2) the presence of rabid gay rights advocate Ian McKellen in the role of militant mutant-rights director Magneto

You might also note that director Bryan Singer is openly gay, which seems more persuasive than McKellen's being such.

Saturday nights with Groggy
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: August 03, 2010, 07:50:33 AM »

Wild at Heart - 2/5
Anyone who tries to argue that this is a good movie has no idea how far they are up Lynch's asshole. However, it's fucking hilarious. But easily his worst movie (haven't seen Dune yet).

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: August 03, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) Good addition to the trilogy: much action and no mental effort required from the the viewer. 7\10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: August 03, 2010, 10:21:21 AM »

3 Women - 3/5
WTF? I had no idea it would be as surreal as this before watching. One of the most difficult-to-interpret movies I've seen. Altman's Mulholland Drive. I feel bad that my grandma borrowed the Netflix before I watched it. Fucking fascinating movie regardless though

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8226 on: August 03, 2010, 12:31:15 PM »

The Long Riders - 6/10 - 4th viewing I think. I don't have a whole lot to add to what I've said before: it's got great shootouts and it looks nice (and yes Jinkies, the score is good) but has no plot or narrative drive, and the characters aside from David Carradine and Pamela Reed are blank ciphers, so it's impossible to really care what's going on. I think the script is the primary culprit here.

Whalestoe
« Reply #8227 on: August 03, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »

Amazing. I take pains to counter this charge in advance and you merely ignore it so you can misrepresent my position. You really are wasting your time here, you should be working as a journalist.

It seems that "X-Men" and "X-Men 2" represent your identities as a Jew living in America and as a gay man respectively, because in this one there is a homosexuality/homophobia subtext...

Singer:
Well, yeah. That is also a very relevant analogy because where certain races, even a Jewish boy or a Jewish girl, will be born into a Jewish family, or a Jewish community sometimes, or an African American or whatever minority in any given area, a gay kid doesn't discover he or she is gay until around puberty. And their parents aren't gay necessarily, and their classmates aren't, and they feel truly alone in the world and have to find, sometimes never find, a way to live.

So you're exploring your own situation in these films?

Singer:
Absolutely. And what better way than in a giant, action, summer event movie! I could think of no better place to spill out one's own personal problems and foist them onto the world [laughs]. And for that, I apologise.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2003/04/25/bryan_singer_x_men_2_interview.shtml

Not that I really give a good god damn one way or the other, but when it comes right from the horses own mouth.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: August 03, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »

Petulia (1968) - Let this one rate itself. Christie, Chamberlain, George Scott. San Francisco. Jump cuts. Nicolas Roeg. Colors. Alienation. John Barry. Tract housing. 24-hour supermarket. Time displacement. Self-check-in motel. Inane chat. Spousal abuse. Live at the Fillmore. Relationships. The Grateful Dead. Joseph Cotton. Roller derby. Cookies as a weapon. Feeding penguins. Parties. Arthur Hill. Shirley Knight. Tijuana. A tuba. Trolleys. Childbirth. Large, masculine hands. A film by Richard Lester.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:26:16 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8229 on: August 03, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »

3/10?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: August 03, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »

No, I'd rate it higher. I want to see it again. And it's definitely better than, for example, The Bed Sitting Room.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: August 03, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »

The Fog (1980)  Very good, without gore and much tension. But why always the kid? 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: August 04, 2010, 02:32:27 AM »

A Hard Day's Night (1964) Probably the best rock movie ever, the other option being Woodstock.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: August 04, 2010, 02:34:34 AM »

Marked for Death (1990) I give 8\10 to this because it has one ( Wink) of the best villains seen in the last quarter of century.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: August 04, 2010, 03:44:37 AM »

It seems that "X-Men" and "X-Men 2" represent your identities as a Jew living in America and as a gay man respectively, because in this one there is a homosexuality/homophobia subtext...

Singer:
Well, yeah. That is also a very relevant analogy because where certain races, even a Jewish boy or a Jewish girl, will be born into a Jewish family, or a Jewish community sometimes, or an African American or whatever minority in any given area, a gay kid doesn't discover he or she is gay until around puberty. And their parents aren't gay necessarily, and their classmates aren't, and they feel truly alone in the world and have to find, sometimes never find, a way to live.

So you're exploring your own situation in these films?

Singer:
Absolutely. And what better way than in a giant, action, summer event movie! I could think of no better place to spill out one's own personal problems and foist them onto the world [laughs]. And for that, I apologise.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2003/04/25/bryan_singer_x_men_2_interview.shtml

Not that I really give a good god damn one way or the other, but when it comes right from the horses own mouth.

So when judging a movie one should check first what the director said about it and conform?

So the analogy between gay and mutants is based, according to the director, on the fact that both groups discover their diversity around puberty and that they can be different from their parents. I agree that gay people might refer them to their situations. But the age is directly related to the institute which wouldn't have any reason to exist if the mutants would discover their diversity at birth (they would be isolated, probably, and wouldn't be available for "education") or as adults (no need to explain, I think). Do we want to add that the audiences for this movie is constituted mainly by the same age group of the "mutants"? The  problem is that this presumed "subtext" is nullified by the text itself when all (all) the characters feel attraction toward the other sex and, actually, some of the tension between these characters is based on their etherosexual love rivalries. And it's not a case that the character of Mystique is played by a beautiful girl when her\his ambiguities would have been probably better remarked if played by a man (Mystique feels attracted, through the all trilogy, only by Wolverine: pure chance?).  If we translate "subtext" as hints given to gay people, passing over the head of the general public for which the movie was conceived that might be, though I'm dubious: they're abounding in many movies directed or written by gays. But subtext is something that, in my dictionary, runs through the entire text as a counterreading of the surface text. And this is not the case.
In reality, though, this question of the "subtext" is a bogus one. What we are talking about is the fact that genre cinema, since when somebody in France started to exalt the Hollywood products, even the mediocre ones, by reading meanings under the surface which, most of the times, weren't there or were irrelevant, has become a good way to save many consciences: those of the ones who produce this crap, who like to be told they're producing art; those who must write about it and exalt them and being paid for it; and audiences (me first) who don't like to be reminded they watch this crap not to think but to stop thinking about reality.

Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM