Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:21:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1835758 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8235 on: August 04, 2010, 06:39:32 AM »

A Hard Day's Night (1964) Probably the best rock movie ever, the other option being Woodstock.

I don't really care for the Beatles yet I somehow enjoyed this a lot.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8236 on: August 04, 2010, 06:41:12 AM »

So when judging a movie one should check first what the director said about it and conform?

I think you have something of a valid point, but all I see this meaning is that it can be reasonably interpreted as such. Jenkins is hardly the first to have done so.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8237 on: August 04, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »

The Godfather - 10/10

Whalestoe
« Reply #8238 on: August 04, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »

So when judging a movie one should check first what the director said about it and conform?

No, not at all. Obviously a director's intentions do not always run parallel with audience interpretation. What I'm saying, more overly, is that if Jenkin's can find the director's intent on his viewing of X-Men it's just as valid as seeing the film as nothing more than a bloated action flick. Personally, I've never seen it as more than such. Of course I also haven't seen it in years nor do I intend to.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: August 05, 2010, 02:30:55 AM »

Deliverance (1972) One of the great movies of the '70's. 8\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: August 05, 2010, 03:10:53 AM »

As Good as It Gets (1997) - 2.5/10

Well I tried. I endured the first hour or so.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: August 05, 2010, 07:28:02 AM »

Primal Fear (1996) - 7.5/10

Good.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: August 06, 2010, 07:37:24 AM »

Brides of Fu Manchu (1966) Resurrectibg this character in the 60's could have make sense only if  they injected the whole business with a big dose of irony and sex. Here they just made an archaelogical operation and the whole affair doesn't work. Rather dull, longish and boring, noa apparent merit. 3\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8243 on: August 06, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »

Two Rode Together - 8/10 - In spite of the pseudo-happy ending and a heavy dose of humor, this is probably John Ford's darkest Western. It covers much of the same ground as The Searchers but does so in a much more jaundiced and cynical light: The Searchers's biggest unanswered question - did Debbie really want to be rescued? - is given a great deal of analysis, and if you can get past the bumptious bits with Andy Devine and Ken Curtis it's a remarkably negative film. James Stewart's character is completely greedy and amoral, a nice against-type characterization, and he has wonderful camraderie with Richard Widmark. An underrated gem, not Ford's best work but certainly not deserving of its dismal reputation.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: August 06, 2010, 12:09:19 PM »

The Bat (1959) Based on a famous novel I haven't read (and won't ever now that I have watched this version) this is one of those mysteries all based on the final revelation of the murderer whom, if you are a mystery lover, you'll be able to guess at about a third of the plot. Agnes Moorehead's performance is mediocre though Price is brilliant as usual. A pity because the movie had a good start but after Price's first scene it becomes boring. 5\10.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: August 06, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »

The Fifth Element (1997) - (pushing for a) 6/10

Was this better or what?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: August 06, 2010, 04:40:11 PM »

Two Rode Together - 8/10 - In spite of the pseudo-happy ending and a heavy dose of humor, this is probably John Ford's darkest Western. It covers much of the same ground as The Searchers but does so in a much more jaundiced and cynical light: The Searchers's biggest unanswered question - did Debbie really want to be rescued? - is given a great deal of analysis, and if you can get past the bumptious bits with Andy Devine and Ken Curtis it's a remarkably negative film. James Stewart's character is completely greedy and amoral, a nice against-type characterization, and he has wonderful camraderie with Richard Widmark. An underrated gem, not Ford's best work but certainly not deserving of its dismal reputation.

agreed

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: August 07, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »

Heat (1995) It seems like this kind of robbers have a family, do their holdups in the same place they live in and won't let up even when the heat's on them. But what doesn't work is particularly the private vicissitudes of the cop Pacino: one couldn't care less about them and they are bogus. Still the plot keeps you interested almost all the time (160 minutes!) and  Val Kilmer's final scene is good. The finale woulld have made more sense with De Niro vanishing after having been intercepted by Pacino. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: August 08, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »

Kiss the Girls (2004) Run of the mill serial-killer thriller with no special new plot turns. But Freeman gives it watchability. 7\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: August 08, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »

Circus of Fear (1966) Another whodunit based exclusively on who is the culprit. I give it 3\10 only because of Margaret Lee's presence, always in leotard.

Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM