Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 06:41:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1839003 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8250 on: August 08, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »

Delicatessen (1991) dir Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet never fails to amuse 10/10.

Noodles-Leone what's the background story of the teams demise?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: August 08, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »

To The Ends Of The Earth (2005) BBC miniseries

10/10

One of the best book adaptations I've seen, perfectly cast and every detail in. It's from Golding's "sea trilogy", so naturally, it's more of a dark satire/existentialist tragedy mix than your jolly adventure on high seas. Most characters are jerks, the only sympathetic guy being the First Lieutenant (not like it would help him much). It's pretty naturalistic for a TV series, definitely an R category. Like a nasty Corbucci western but on sea. Not a nice story at all, but very believeable and sarcastic. A lot more realistic with all its mediocre, pathetic anti-heroes than the Hornblower-type adventure (and it's the same replica ship).

"Does this unit have a soul?"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8252 on: August 09, 2010, 05:19:39 AM »

Delicatessen (1991) dir Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet never fails to amuse 10/10.

Noodles-Leone what's the background story of the teams demise?

I'm not 100% sure about that but I guess the main reason was ALIEN... Jeunet was asked to direct the 4th one, and the agreement, for whatever reason, didn't include Caro. They never worked together after that... May be Caro saw it as a betrayal, who knows.
I think they still talk a little, but almost never about "work": Jeunet only knows that Caro doesn't like Amélie (too sweet for his taste) and probably prefers A Very Long Engagement (WW1 = better atmosphere for Caro).

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:21:06 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: August 09, 2010, 06:34:10 AM »

I'm not 100% sure about that but I guess the main reason was ALIEN... Jeunet was asked to direct the 4th one, and the agreement, for whatever reason, didn't include Caro. They never worked together after that... May be Caro saw it as a betrayal, who knows.
I think they still talk a little, but almost never about "work": Jeunet only knows that Caro doesn't like Amélie (too sweet for his taste) and probably prefers A Very Long Engagement (WW1 = better atmosphere for Caro).

The fourth Alien is indigestible, Caro should be happy as a little baby for not having any part in that atrocity.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: August 09, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »

Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958) nth vision. This is probably the only movie where Claudia Cardinale really strikes me as hot. Maybe because she was just 20 at the time or, more probably, because her face was rounder. Anyway the movie is considered as the first commedia all'italiana. I don't know if that is correct as some movie by Sordi made before could (debatably) be counted as such. Anyway, this is one of the 10\10 in this genre.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »

The Birds, the Bees & the Italians (1966)  This has not aged well, based as it was on sexual hipocrisy in small town Italy before the divorce and liberation of the mores in 1968. What I appreciated most in this second vision (the first I think was in the 70's) is the ravishing beauty of Virna Lisi, enhanced, I think, by a black wig. I thought at the time she was the most beautiful italian actress and the movie confirms I wasn't very far from truth. 6\10

P.S. For AC: Moira Orfei has a bit part but this is the only movie where she looks like a woman and not like a statue (in spite of the usual, awful beehive).

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8256 on: August 09, 2010, 05:36:41 PM »

The Magnificent Seven - 7/10 - 4th viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: August 10, 2010, 02:07:55 AM »

Five Golden Dragons (1967) Adventure movie with an idiotic plot it has a good start (very good chase scene on the HK's boats) then it loses momentum and it becomes dull, though it has the advantage of a great cast, including Margaret Lee and other lookers. Donlevy looks like is about to die, Raft like his mind is somewhere else. 5\10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8258 on: August 10, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »

The Fifth Element (1997) - (pushing for a) 6/10

Was this better or what?

Yeah it used to be better.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8259 on: August 10, 2010, 07:59:02 AM »

The fourth Alien is indigestible, Caro should be happy as a little baby for not having any part in that atrocity.

I agree, on a lesser extend.
I think Caro didn't want to go there anyway, but didn't want Jeunet to go either.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: August 10, 2010, 12:23:18 PM »

I agree, on a lesser extend.
I think Caro didn't want to go there anyway, but didn't want Jeunet to go either.

What are friends nowadays...

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8261 on: August 10, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »

Mrs. Miniver - 7-8/10 - Good "home front" women's picture. Most of these films follow a consistent formula and this is no different: with very little plot it's largely a slice-of-life drama of life in war time England. Wyler's direction is good, as usual, and Greer Garson is wonderful (the rest of the cast ain't bad either). And the final weepy scene/stirring oration works like a charm.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: August 10, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »

Angel On My Shoulder (1946) I bought this dvd thinking it was some kind of noirish enterprise instead is a rehashing of Heaven Can Wait devices, without the flair of Lubitsch's movie, of course. Muni is his usual overacting self, Ann Baxter is the fine actress we know (but I would have preferred a looker) and Rains a good devil. 6\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: August 10, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »

Warren Beatty marathon over at Turner yesterday, thus:

Kaleidoscope (1966) - 6/10. Caper film with Beatty as a card cheat in swingin' London. Support provided by Susannah York and Eric Porter (wonderfully despicable). Doesn't really amount to much, though.

The Fortune (1975) 2/10 - Beatty and Nicholson and Stockard Channing in an ersatz screwball love triangle. Atrocious.

Mickey One (1965) 7/10 -  Here's the ostensible plot, according to IMDb: "After incurring the wrath of the mob, a comic flees Detroit for Chicago taking the name "Mickey One." As he returns to the stage and becomes successful, he fears that the mob will track him down. He wishes to square himself with the mob, but doesn't know what he did to anger them or what his debt is." That last bit suggests that this is some kind of existentialist parable, or perhaps a story seen through the eyes of a guy with a persecution complex. Anyway, paranoia is the order of the day, and whether the character's fears are warranted or not is anyone's guess. Nice b&w photography of Chicago locations, and a post-New Wave editing scheme. Would make an excellent double bill with The Parallax View.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8264 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »

It Happened One Night - 6/10 - Meh. This is my third stab at watching it, and the first I was able to make it the whole way through. It's a pleasant enough waste of 105 minutes, with an immensely charming pair of leads, but for a comedy it isn't really funny and I dare suggest it hasn't aged well. Its influence on a century's worth of romcoms is indisputable - Roman Holiday is almost a straight remake - but whether or not this is a good thing is another matter.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:52:43 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM