Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 12:47:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1842028 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8265 on: August 12, 2010, 01:06:24 PM »

The Great Northfield, Minnesota Raid - 5/10 - Hey look, another Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid/Little Big Man/Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean-style "revisionist" Western! By revisionist of course we mean wacky, cartoonish and obnoxiously silly. It has its moments but on the whole it's just too weird and over-the-top to really hold together or generate a lot of interest, and the bank robbery itself is a big fat anti-climax. Cliff Robertson is good, Robert Duvall obnoxiously hammy.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: August 12, 2010, 05:23:47 PM »

The Great Northfield, Minnesota Raid - 5/10 - Hey look, another Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid/Little Big Man/Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean-style "revisionist" Western! By revisionist of course we mean wacky, cartoonish and obnoxiously silly. It has its moments but on the whole it's just too weird and over-the-top to really hold together or generate a lot of interest, and the bank robbery itself is a big fat anti-climax. Cliff Robertson is good, Robert Duvall obnoxiously hammy.
What about the calliope?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8267 on: August 12, 2010, 05:41:37 PM »

What about the calliope?

What about it?

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: August 13, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »

Stand by Me (1986) - 8/10

Amalgamation of a lot of things, but it always crosses my mind while watching it how those kids that were really, really cool never really made it anywhere after those days were over. The roller coaster called life...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:16:59 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8269 on: August 13, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »

TCM's having a Robert Ryan marathon today, so I checked out:

Crossfire - 6/10 - A Jewish man is murdered by GIs and detective Robert Taylor suspects anti-Semitic creep Ryan is responsible. A so-so crime drama with obnoxious preaching about intolerance thrown in; it's pretty telling that the movie avoids the issue of race altogether. Taylor's good; Robert Mitchum has a useless secondary role; Ryan excells - if you're going to have an anti-Semitic creep in your film it might as well be him.

Act of Violence - 8/10 - Fred Zinnemann does noir! Crippled WWII vet Ryan pursues an old service buddy (Van Heflin) across America, intending to avenge the deaths of fellow POWs during the war due to Heflin's snitching. This plot is pretty thin, so Heflin gets mixed up with Mary Astor's woman of doubtful virtue and Barry Kroeger's thuggish "detective" to help bring out a denouement and pad out the run time. The story is pretty weak but Zinnemann's direction and a wonderfully ambiguous script helps; Heflin is likeable even as the guilt drags him down, but Ryan's character nicely grows into a more sympathetic figure as the story goes along. The ending is interesting and completely unexpected. Janet Leigh and Phyllis Thaxter also have nice roles as "nice girls."

Also have Men at War and God's Little Acre TiVo'd - hopefully I'll have time to watch them this weekend.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8270 on: August 14, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »

More Robert Ryan flicks:

Men in War - 7/10 - Another gritty grunts-eye-view of the Korean War, this time directed by Anthony Mann. Ryan plays a Lieutenant trying to lead his platoon back to friendly lines; stuck-up Sergeant Aldo Ray and comatose Colonel Robert Keith show up to complicate things. Plays like a Sam Fuller war flick with the same cynical GIs, small scope, gritty camera style and clipped dialogue, with a basic Ten Little Indians-style plot thrown in. The last battle scene is pretty nice despite a sappy denouement. Look for L.Q. Jones and James Edwards among Ryan's platoon.

The Set-Up - 9/10 - Ryan plays a washed-up boxer whose manager fixes his next match without telling him. Naturally, complications ensue. Filmed in real time, it's a wonderfully gripping and dark film that really drags you into the seedy, crooked world of competitive boxing, and the fight itself compares favorably to Raging Bull and Rocky's big set-pieces. This might well be Ryan's best performance, with all due respect to Billy Budd and The Wild Bunch. I wouldn't be surprised if Tarantino took inspiration for the Butch story of Pulp Fiction from this flick.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: August 15, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »

The Expendables (2010) - 2/10. This gets a point each for the presence of Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts (neither of whom are on screen enough), but otherwise this film is completely . . . (wait for it) . . . expendable.

Get Low (2009) - 4/10. Bill Murray is mostly wasted in what turns out to be little more than a glorified episode of The Waltons. Anachronistic language abounds: characters have "hissey fits" and are told that they either got their "ass kicked" or "did good." And in spite of the 30s Tennessee setting, the rich argot of that place and time is left largely untapped. Robert Duvall gives his most mannered performance, with line readings that take days for delivery.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: August 15, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »

Crossfire - 6/10 - A Jewish man is murdered by GIs and detective Robert Taylor suspects anti-Semitic creep Ryan is responsible. A so-so crime drama with obnoxious preaching about intolerance thrown in; it's pretty telling that the movie avoids the issue of race altogether.
Because the issue was originally homophobia, but the studio blinked?

I can't take issue with anything you've said, but when I happened across this on Turner the other day I saw what is perhaps the best scene in the movie: the GI in Gloria Grahame's apartment having the conversation with the mysterious Man played by (I think) Paul Kelly. For that scene alone I'd add an extra point to the score.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8273 on: August 16, 2010, 07:51:58 AM »

The Expendables (2010) - 2/10. This gets a point each for the presence of Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts (neither of whom are on screen enough), but otherwise this film is completely . . . (wait for it) . . . expendable.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8274 on: August 16, 2010, 07:54:21 AM »

Because the issue was originally homophobia, but the studio blinked?

Hmm, interesting. I still think it's taking the easy way out to focus on anti-Semitism - not that it wasn't common in 1947, but I doubt it was a leap for audiences of that time to be disdainful of the prejudice the Nazis had recently taken to an extreme.

I can't take issue with anything you've said, but when I happened across this on Turner the other day I saw what is perhaps the best scene in the movie: the GI in Gloria Grahame's apartment having the conversation with the mysterious Man played by (I think) Paul Kelly. For that scene alone I'd add an extra point to the score.

Gloria Grahame was definitely the best part of the movie aside from Ryan. Also Kelly's first scene (where he tells a succession of odd lies) is an odd but effective bit.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: August 16, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »

Also Kelly's first scene (where he tells a succession of odd lies) is an odd but effective bit.
That's the scene I was referring to. Quite weird.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: August 17, 2010, 07:25:19 AM »

Dance of the Vampires (1967) - 7/10

The sets are magnificent, the rest entertaining.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:55 AM »

The Expendables - 8/10
Thin on plot, but thats made up for with a surprisingly decent amount of well-rounded character detail. But who cares? Its the most fucking baddest action movie ever.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 1/10
Left after 45 minutes and watched The Expendables again. Contender for the worst movie I've ever seen. Ever. I've never seen a movie TRY soooo fucking hard.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: August 17, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »

The Expendables - 8/10
Thin on plot, but thats made up for with a surprisingly decent amount of well-rounded character detail. But who cares? Its the most fucking baddest action movie ever.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 1/10
Left after 45 minutes and watched The Expendables again. Contender for the worst movie I've ever seen. Ever. I've never seen a movie TRY soooo fucking hard.
Wow. RR, you've just proved again that you have nothing worth sharing. The Expendables is a lame rehashing of the action tropes of the 80s, but with an editing style that makes every action scene unintelligible. Scott Pilgrim, by contrast, is a highly inventive romcom done up as a video game that is visually inventive, uses sound design and scene transitions in startlingly original ways, knows how to use a fresh and talented cast, and is enormously funny. It's probably the Hollywood film of the year. LMRAO.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8279 on: August 17, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »

My brothers went to see Scott Pilgrim last night and liked it. I think I'll pass though, as it looks atrocious from the ads and trailers.

Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM