Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 02:10:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843057 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8295 on: August 21, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »

Harper (1966) Dir. with Paul Newman as Lew Harper and Lauren Bacall, Julie Harris, Arthur Hill,    Janet Leigh, Pamela Tiffin, Robert Wagner, Robert Webber, Shelley Winters, Harold Gould, Roy Jenson, and Strother Martin    as new age guru Claude. Pretty entertaining hardboiled detective film, with some good laughs provided from Shelly Winters performance as has been actress. The opening scenes of Harper awakening in his cheap office/flop pad are hilarious. 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: August 21, 2010, 07:18:13 PM »

Harper (1966) Dir. with Paul Newman as Lew Harper and Lauren Bacall, Julie Harris, Arthur Hill,    Janet Leigh, Pamela Tiffin, Robert Wagner, Robert Webber, Shelley Winters, Harold Gould, Roy Jenson, and Strother Martin    as new age guru Claude. Pretty entertaining hardboiled detective film, with some good laughs provided from Shelly Winters performance as has been actress. The opening scenes of Harper awakening in his cheap office/flop pad are hilarious. 8/10

I reviewed it last june and wasn't so enthusiastic, The Drowning Pool being much better.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: August 21, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »

I agree I've always liked the Drowning Pool a bit more also, perhaps I've been too generous.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: August 22, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »

Written on the Wind (1956) - 8/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8299 on: August 23, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »

Operation Crossbow - 7/10 - A pretty typical WWII commando adventure made during the height of the James Bond craze, with George Peppard, Jeremy Kemp and Tom Courtenay as Allied agents trying to sabotage the German rocket program. Like Guns of Navarone, it struggles to balance action movie fun with a somber tone and is only partially successful. The first half-hour is exhaustive exposition and we don't even meet our protagonists until around the forty minute mark. Once the main story gets going it's a fine spy flick with some neat twists and welcome dark elements (especially Sophia Loren's small part). Peppard is wooden as usual, and the others don't get a lot of screen time, but there's an extraordinary supporting cast to back them up: Anthony Quayle has a great role as a turncoat spy, Lilli Palmer as the gang's underground contact, Trevor Howard, John Mills, Maurice Denham, Richard Johnson, Patrick Wymark and Allan Cuthbertson are British bigwigs, and Paul Henreid, Ferdy Mane and Anton Diffring are just some of the many Nazis onhand. Worth a look for war movie fans.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:17:27 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: August 23, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »

Count Dracula (1970) Franco is a real King Midas in reverse. This time is Stoker's story to be reduced to crap but thanfully the writer is not quoted anywhere in the credits. It sure earns the title of most boring Stoker's Dracula ever and not only because of the screenplay. This was shot in Italy and that says it all: I like the Corman and Hammer horrors because of the sets: artificial but that fit perfectly to a fantasy story. You take real architectures (and italian at that) and the illusion vanishes. So why do I give this 4\10 instead of 1\10? Because of Lee, who portrays a Dracula very much real and less hamming than the Hammer one. I don't want to say it's better, but is a good variation. And then there's Kinsky's Renfield which is one of the roles he was born for. Nicolai's score is good, though not memorable and made up of only two themes.   

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: August 23, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »

Shadow of the Vampire - 3/5, unique concept but forgettable
Die Hard with a Vengeance - 4/5, great action film

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: August 23, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »

Zardoz (1974) - In spite of all the crap produced since, this remains the worst film ever made. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50xfc_zardoz-1974_shortfilms

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:34 PM »

Radio Days - 5/5. Allens best work, one of my favorite films ever.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: August 23, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »

Zardoz (1974) - In spite of all the crap produced since, this remains the worst film ever made. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50xfc_zardoz-1974_shortfilms
Grin And I saw it on big screen!

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Whalestoe
« Reply #8305 on: August 23, 2010, 11:29:17 PM »

Afro

"ZARDOOOOOOOOOOOOOZ"

I just watched the trailer.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: August 24, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »

Planet of the Apes (1967) The first 20 minutes, before the three astronauts meet with humans, are on a level with whatever movie ever made. Breathtaking: to be seen on a big screen. The last 20 minutes are good and the final scene is movie history. But what's in between is hardly digestible, especially if you have seen the movie already. The plot just doesn't stand to reason and the first question Taylor (who is not an imbecile) should have posed to himself is how come the apes speak his same language. So for a first vision this gets a 7\10, for subsequent ones only a 5\10.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: August 24, 2010, 06:07:46 AM »

Me too, lol Afro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:26 AM »

Me too, lol Afro

Me too. And didn't like it.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: August 24, 2010, 10:20:06 AM »

I've just watched Das Vermächtnis des Inka after years and years...

Somehow, it's not the same without the bad quality print we saw in the cinema, the image jumping up and down at times... and without the cinema experience in general.

And it's gloriously cheesy most of the time. Part of the cheesiness might be caused by the Czech dubbing, although I suppose the original was close (especially seeing it was German - Italian - Spanish coproduction, shot partly in Peru, with local extras - who look much better and much less out of place than the European actors pretending to be Incas, of course). It spurts straight into action, and ends with cut off music, and the dubbing seems to be hurried and sometimes it's very off (like repeating itself).
But the parts shot in Peru with the local extras are wonderful, almost like a documentary of local habits... who knows, maybe they originated as that. Machu Picchu is impressive. The story is almost like a classic tragedy - except that it has very little to do with the Karl May original, and is certainly not treated the best way it could be. But it's just the thing you need at times, with heroes who are valiant and noble, and some tragically twisted, and all that jazz.

So, yes, the cheesiness is glorious.

I'm not rating it. I can't.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM