Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 11:46:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843787 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8310 on: August 24, 2010, 01:52:09 PM »

Planet of the Apes (1967) The first 20 minutes, before the three astronauts meet with humans, are on a level with whatever movie ever made. Breathtaking: to be seen on a big screen. The last 20 minutes are good and the final scene is movie history. But what's in between is hardly digestible, especially if you have seen the movie already. The plot just doesn't stand to reason and the first question Taylor (who is not an imbecile) should have posed to himself is how come the apes speak his same language.
And the question Taylor should have asked after the end of the movie was, How is it that English, a language that was in a constant state of flux from its beginning in 449 AD up to the 20th Century, altered not at all in the millennia following the dropping of the Bomb?

My take on the film is similar to yours: I too am mightily impressed with the beginning (in part due to the stunning score) but lose all faith in the project when the apes appear and start speaking. Up until that point I feel I'm watching a movie; afterwards it's all just a TV show with a budget. The famous ending (famously bad, to my way of thinking) is the ultimate TV moment: writer Serling had pulled that very trick before on his Twilight Zone show.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: August 24, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »

afterwards it's all just a TV show with a budget. .

As a consequence, the Ape civilization apparently developed in a village and remained confined there.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: August 24, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »

And yes, the score is great but the images are incredible.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: August 24, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »

The White Ribbon (2009) - 7.5/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: August 25, 2010, 02:11:43 AM »

The Naked City (1947) This looked great 60 years ago but today shows many flaws: the producer's voice-over for one, some stretched out dialogues, I'd like to kick Fitzgerald in ass as he appears on the scene. This was probably the first police procedural and the first (or one of the first) mystery not shot in the studio. 7\10

Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: August 25, 2010, 06:45:39 AM »

Bruce Lee fans mourn the death of Enter the Dragon star Ahna Capri , she was 65 (car crash)  Cry

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8316 on: August 25, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »

OUATIA - 9/10 - Yeah, again. I like the 1968 scenes less each time I watch the film which is a shame because everything else is about perfect. Not a bad way to kill an evening when I had no phone, internet or TV though.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: August 25, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »

OUATIA - 9/10 - Yeah, again. I like the 1968 scenes less each time I watch the film which is a shame because everything else is about perfect. Not a bad way to kill an evening when I had no phone, internet or TV though.
Beer is the way to kill an evening, OUATIA is the way to make an evening.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8318 on: August 26, 2010, 01:11:12 PM »

Witness - 8/10 - 2nd viewing. Pretty good thriller, nothing terribly unpredictable but well-made and a nice waste of time.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8319 on: August 27, 2010, 08:38:05 AM »

The Informant! - 8/10 - 2nd viewing.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: August 27, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »

The Turn of the Screw

2009 version - 4/10

WTF is this shit, they placed it in post-WWI era... fugly '20s costumes, added a stupid madhouse frame story... bleh. Bad music.

1999 - 7/10

Pretty Victorian dresses, characters looking as they should, Quint not scary at all though... Governess KILLING Miles. Way to ruin an otherwise nice adaptation... also bad music.

No match for The Innocents, the old Deborah Kerr version. Now THAT was scary and haunting. And it had a creepy theme song.

Waiting for: when Tim Burton finally realizes this story EXISTS, and it would be perfect with Depp!Quint and HBC!Jessel and lots of Gothicness and pervy sex.
Bonus point if he choses the opera version, but in that case, don't let any of the actors sing themselves. Even Sondheim was way too hard for them, Britten needs a special closed circle of singers.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8321 on: August 27, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »

Marley & Me - 7/10 - About what I was expecting: light comedy and family drama with a tragic ending. Whoever thought to market this as a goofy family comedy needs to be shot. I'll admit to tearing up towards the end; I guess I'm still close enough to the death of my first dog that I can still be affected by something like this.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8322 on: August 28, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »

Inception - Huh/10 - Oh, boy. The first 80 minutes or so are really good: lots and lots of talk, of course, but interesting talk, with a neat idea and a nice collection of characters. Up to this point it has the potential to be great, a cerebral heist film with a sci-fi twist, and I'm intrigued as to how everything will play out. But once the actual job gets going, it gradually loses its way, and by the time we enter the third dream layer it eats its own tail and keeps going. Complexity is all well and good, but being needlessly convoluted until you swallow yourself whole and then burst out the other side of your stomach doesn't do anyone any favors, least of all your audience. Someone desperately needs to acquaint Christopher Nolan with the concept of subtlety: not every fucking plot point or bit of character development needs to be explained in excrutiating detail (the worst: Ellen Page: What are you feeling? Leo: Guilt. *followed by lengthy soliloquy explaining why feels guilt and stuff* Gag!) The movie just keeps going in circles, until there are five layers of reality and I completely lose suspension of disbelief. At this point, it's not intelligent, it's not even confusing, it's just tiresome. The action, pacing and overall direction are better than The Dark Knight but Nolan really needs someone else to write his movies. The cast is as good as it can be with such weak characters; only DiCaprio's part has any meat on it, and there's a criminal waste of Michael Caine and Tom Berenger in bit parts. (I also fail to see why I ought to cheering for these guys anyway.) Throw in Hans Zimmer's usual noise and a complete lack of humor or subtlety, you've got a movie that goes from intriguing to obnoxious in about 39 Steps.

I'll try and write a more coherent, reasoned review for the pertinent thread once I've collected my thoughts. Suffice it to say I feel like I just got my skull smashed repeatedly with an ice mallet. Rating could fall anywhere from a 5 to a 7 if I feel generous.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:01:18 PM by Groggy » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8323 on: August 29, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »

How The West Was Won - 8/10 - Mostly good. It's episodic by nature but the individual scenes are mostly solid, even if there's no real flow or connection between them. It seems almost like a silent film with its extended, self-contained individual chapters. Great spectacle throughout; I can only imagine how this would look on a big screen. The direction is fairly static outside of the big action scenes, but that could probably be put down to the format. The huge cast doesn't get much chance to shine, though James Stewart, Carrol Baker, Eli Wallach and Gregory Peck do well. Worth checking out.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: August 29, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »

Caught it today also. If I remember right they really couldn't do closeups in that format.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM