Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 03:29:38 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1837737 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8385 on: September 16, 2010, 09:36:51 PM »

The Rise and Fall of Legs Diamond

Lacks the atmospheric spark of the Ranown/Scott westerns and the extended version of The Bullfighter and the Lady. With that said, it's a good movie but too much is packed into 100 mins, throwing off the pace.

This is sort of a nitpicky complaint, but Karen Steele was way too sexy for her role. There's even a line where her character says something along the lines of 'I'm not beautiful'...what? Someone more frumpy should have been cast. She was surprising good though - her best performance I've seen.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8386 on: September 17, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »

I missed that one due to work. Thanks for the write up Tuco.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8387 on: September 17, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »

Young Winston - 6/10 - Early Dickie Attenborough epic. The first half is a stiff and stodgy period melodrama; there's a good deal of action and histrionic fireworks in the second half but the film is never wholly successful, due to inconsistent tone and pace. The big problem is that movie isn't sure what it wants to say about Churchill himself, veering between reverent biopic and semi-satire. Pictorally handsome with some nice battle scenes (especially the Boer War train ambush) but often slack in the narrative department. Oh, and the dumb docu-drama "interview" segments are tedious and annoying. Attenborough, as usual, gets a fine cast together and squanders them in useless cameos. Simon Ward makes a fine Churchill, and Robert Shaw is excellent but Anne Bancroft is mostly decorative, and the other big names - John Mills, Jack Hawkins, Anthony Hopkins, Ian Holm, Edward Woodward - are scarcely in the film long enough to be recognized. Worth watching for Ward and Shaw's performances and the action scenes but not worthing going out of one's way to see (which sadly you more or less have to).

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: September 17, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »

I should have added that Ray Danton is pretty damn good in the lead and that Warren Oates has a role as his brother. obviously Oates is good.

Just don't expect the grand or powerful feel of his westerns. It reminds me of a 50s Fuller movie in some ways, minus the blistering pace.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: September 17, 2010, 06:55:43 PM »

Yea T.H. saw it also and pretty much agree.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: September 18, 2010, 02:47:41 AM »

I'm Not There. (2007) - 8/10
Was 2007 a good film year or what? (And please, save the 1939 card. Please.)

Some movies I've watched recently (the number has decreased drastically since I begun my studies):

Mies vailla menneisyyttä (2002) "The Man Without a Past" - 8.5-9/10
Third or fourth viewing. I paid 3 euros to see it on a semi-big screen. I think it was a Bluray they showed. The audience made it worth it.

El Cid (1961) - 8.5/10
It's long as hell and according to all logic it should also be boring as fuck, but somehow it isn't (save a a few scenes). I think somebody mentioned that it's because the movie has a genuine epic storyline - not a three act story streched to epic lenght. It was somewhat confusing around minutes 110-150 but otherwise very entertaining. 

Citizen Kane (1941)
OK, I was hung over and tired when I watched this, so won't give it a rating as yet (it's still on my DVR). I liked the story and I liked the technique which for many parts is still very fresh. But given my hang over I didn't enjoy it as much as I think I could have.
SPOILER
Am I the only one who understood that the thing they burn at the end (Rosebud) is a sled only after reading it on Wikipedia?   

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: September 18, 2010, 05:09:26 AM »

Edmond (2005) - 5/10

Seems pointless, on the top of being unoriginal and cheap fort the most part, but I do grant it a 5; night-in-the-big-city stories always have a certain amount of charm.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: September 18, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »

Am I the only one who understood that the thing they burn at the end (Rosebud) is a sled only after reading it on Wikipedia? 

I don't know about that, I caught it the first time I saw the movie (I must have been 15) but as that is the whole point of the movie it is improbable it was intended by Welles as something to be caught casually or on repeated viewing.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: September 19, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »

I don't know about that, I caught it the first time I saw the movie (I must have been 15) but as that is the whole point of the movie it is improbable it was intended by Welles as something to be caught casually or on repeated viewing.
Yes. That's why I would call it bad directing... or a bad hang over.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8394 on: September 19, 2010, 01:36:40 AM »

Public Enemies - 7/10 - 3rd viewing. Caught it on HBO. The digital camera didn't bother me that much on TV and the sound levels weren't nearly as bad as in theaters but I still feel like an opportunity was missed.

North West Frontier - 8/10 - By Jove, one hell of a fun adventure film! Politically incorrect to a fault, highly derivative of Stagecoach (though I'll note John Ford's son Patrick wrote the script, it might not be a coincidence), with cipher characters and a rather outlandish plot. But who cares? It's loads of fun from beginning to end, with lots of action, suspense and humor (albeit much of the latter unintentional), with J. Lee Thompson practicing his big-action stuff for The Guns of Navarone. Kenneth More is stiff-necked as usual, but Lauren Bacall is great and Herbert Lom is an epically slimy villain. The final battle is a bit of an anti-climax after the great More-Lom confrontation though.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: September 19, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »

Total Recall, Starship Troopers and Predator

Great movies. It was like seeing them for the first time because it had been so long. I was caught a bit off guard by their quality. Whenever I get a ps3, I will definitely own these on b-ray.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:52:22 AM by T.H. » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: September 19, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »

Strange movie (Predator), though, wouldn't you say?

Watched it in similar fashion a few months ago and couldn't help thinking something was wrong, but couldn't detect what was it no matter how hard I tried. It's still an excellent SF/guys-on-a-mission/action flick, I'd give it a 7.5/10 on a bad day, but something smelled like missing (or misused) after all these years...

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: September 19, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »

And BTW - speaking of the sequel - it's much sillier but I kinda fancy it. No, actually I fancy it a lot, who am I trying to fool.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8398 on: September 19, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »

I thought Predator 2 started out okay but after the warehouse scene with the liquid nitrogen it got tiresome.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8399 on: September 19, 2010, 06:20:40 PM »

So our moderator is a guy who gives 7.5/10 to predator and fancies a lot the sequel... Mkay... Democracy at it's best I guess...

Seriously, the smartass inside me cannot help but say that Predator is supposed to be the first film in history to have been fully digitally edited (although it was 100% shot on film, of course, look at the production year, for Clint's sake). Fir the better or for the worst, that makes that movie part of History.
That and the "Knock knock!" line.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM