Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:14:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758871 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8445 on: September 30, 2010, 01:50:33 PM »

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) - 7/10
There are many levels in this story but what I like the most (and which is the most important level in order to keep the story interesting) is the pure, ultimate struggle the man has to go through. Man fighting for his existence. I like that kind of stuff.

I seriously am not surprised (or particularly excited, for that matter) that according to IMDb there's a remake in development. I guess they're gonna stretch it to 120+ minutes, over do CGI and focus much more on the kinky sides of the situation (imagine that small penis syndrome!).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: September 30, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »

Juggernaut (1974) One of the best thrillers of the decade. Harris is great. But what it makes very good is the side stories (and their characters) to the main one, because they are never melodramatic, like it happens in many similar hollywood product of the same period. 8\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: September 30, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)  I saw this on tv a couple of times but probably the italian version they programmed must have been cut because I don't think I would have had such a good impression of the movie in the almost 2h version of the dvd. The 2 sequences featuring 2 solos of Kaye must have been the ones deserving the scissors. Kaye never made me laugh and the movie it is good only because of the story and direction. With another comedian in the place of Kaye it would have been a masterpiece. As it is is worth a good 7\10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: October 01, 2010, 11:11:35 AM »

The Musketeer (2001)  They mixed a story loosely based on 3 Musketeers with hong-kong action scenes choreographies. The result is interesting. But I think the cast is the worst ever assembled for a 3M movie, even worse than the one rustled up for the movie made in 1993: most actors are miscast or just can't play (as the one chosen for the lead). Catherine is past her past to play the queen and  Mena Suvari is barely saved from ugliness by youth. Added to that that most scenes shot at night are almost indecipherable. Still the new sl˛ant has merits and earns a 7\10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: October 01, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »

The Departed (2006)  Excellent thriller for a good 3\4 running time. But after Nicholson's death the tarantinian "who kills who" takes away substance from the story and it leaves a bad taste. A pity. If one adds that Di Caprio doesn't belong there and that Nicholson is subbing for De Niro, you end up with a 7\10.

P.S. And there's the loose end of the Di Caprio envelope left to the psychiatrist: does she relay it to Wahlberg or does Wahlberg acts on his own convictions?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: October 01, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »

The Social Network (2010) - 9/10. The Facebook Story, as told to David Fincher. Can Fincher do docu-dramas, or what? And who knew that such sedentary subject matter could make for such compelling drama (the two hours just flew by)? Of course it helps that Aaron Sorkin's barb-laden script is interpreted by such a talented (and multitudinous) cast. Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg is a real find: You Will Believe That A Billionaire Dweeb Can Stab His Friends in the Back. The acting throughout is top-notch: Andrew Garfield is wonderful as the best friend who gets left behind, and Justin Timberlake does a great turn as the Napster Guy (Sean Parker), who the film portrays as a total douche (a real stretch for ol' Justin, eh?). Occasionally there's even the odd cameo that had me leaning forward in my seat (David Selby appears briefly as a lawyer--haven't seen him, I swear, since his Dark Shadows days!). Fincher did more than cast well, though. The film has a basic flashback-within-a-frame structure, but Fincher wisely dispenses with the frame for his opening scene and begins in media res (only after the titles do you learn you've been watching a flashback). I do have to knock off one point, though, for Fincher trotting out the Rosebud Ending yet again--especially since we see it coming from the aforesaid opening ("Rosebud" in this case is a character--apparently a composite, as she rates no afterstory titles). I assume that this based-on-a-true-story film is largely fiction, of course, but that's probably what makes it so entertaining. In spite of the title, I don't think the film has any larger social message to convey; but it is a very good character study.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8451 on: October 01, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »

Murder By Death - 9/10 - 3rd viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8452 on: October 01, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »

The Social Network (2010) - 9/10. The Facebook Story, as told to David Fincher. Can Fincher do docu-dramas, or what? And who knew that such sedentary subject matter could make for such compelling drama (the two hours just flew by)? Of course it helps that Aaron Sorkin's barb-laden script is interpreted by such a talented (and multitudinous) cast. Jesse Eisenberg as Mark Zuckerberg is a real find: You Will Believe That A Billionaire Dweeb Can Stab His Friends in the Back. The acting throughout is top-notch: Andrew Garfield is wonderful as the best friend who gets left behind, and Justin Timberlake does a great turn as the Napster Guy (Sean Parker), who the film portrays as a total douche (a real stretch for ol' Justin, eh?). Occasionally there's even the odd cameo that had me leaning forward in my seat (David Selby appears briefly as a lawyer--haven't seen him, I swear, since his Dark Shadows days!). Fincher did more than cast well, though. The film has a basic flashback-within-a-frame structure, but Fincher wisely dispenses with the frame for his opening scene and begins in media res (only after the titles do you learn you've been watching a flashback). I do have to knock off one point, though, for Fincher trotting out the Rosebud Ending yet again--especially since we see it coming from the aforesaid opening ("Rosebud" in this case is a character--apparently a composite, as she rates no afterstory titles). I assume that this based-on-a-true-story film is largely fiction, of course, but that's probably what makes it so entertaining. In spite of the title, I don't think the film has any larger social message to convey; but it is a very good character study.

Nice to hear a review. I'm still extremely skeptical.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8453 on: October 01, 2010, 11:13:14 PM »

Cool news! My favorite Fincher being by far Zodiac, I have good expectations for this one.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: October 02, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »

Gentleman's Agreement (1947) This must have induced to anti-semitism more people than Jud Suess ever aspired to. It is palsy, talky, contrived, humbug...you name it. But Celeste Holm did earn her Oscar: she's embarrassingly good. And Garfield should at least been nominated. 3\10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: October 02, 2010, 02:55:27 PM »

The Second Woman (1950) This is marketed as noir in Italy but it is just a contrived mystery with easily deductible conclusion. Still it manages to have your attention for an hour thanx to the actors and the locations. 6\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8456 on: October 02, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »

Good Burger - 5/10 - Gets a few points for nostalgia and Abe Vigoda. It's a terrible movie by any objective standard and yet I enjoyed watching it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8457 on: October 02, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »

The Blind Side - 5/10 - The nice submissive black kid moves in with the angelic yet sheltered white woman. The black kid finds his place and makes something of himself, the white woman learns some tolerance and some nasty racists (and black gangsta types) get put in their place. Yawn. Bullock is okay but is her passable Southern accent really Oscar-worthy? The black kid just needs to stand there and look mopey/constipated, which he does with aplomb. Competently made, and with a handful of fun bits (I got a kick out of all the college coaches' cameos) but on the whole sappy, predictable and trite. It's supposedly "based on a true story" but if anything that makes it worse.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: October 03, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - 6.8/10

This probably isn't a bad movie, and Gregory Peck is a blast (although they leave him alone on screen too much, especially in the courtroom scenes), it can only dream of shining the shoes of 12 Angry Men. The ending's just wtf.

P.S. Mary Badham's great too.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: October 03, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »

Altered States (1980)
- 7/10

Not great but sneaky and creepy on more than one occasion. Good acting, great score, solid direction by Ken Russell. Faults: not as daring as 30 (!) years ago.

P.S. The late Arthur Penn was apparently the first choice for directing, don't know what happened later.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM