Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:13:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 1161 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1758862 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8565 on: October 25, 2010, 11:05:51 AM »

BUBBA HO-TEP / WHAT JUST HAPPENED
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/  .... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486674/
cool little don coscarelli / Bruce cambell effort featuring 85 year old Ossie Davis playing JFK.  clearly, hollywood like us all has had to downsize. no problemo for my man coscarelli or for that matter Barry levinson's recent effort WHAT JUST HAPPENED w/ bobby de nero.
now, i could blab on and on and on and on and ( slap ed mice elf, lol ) . my point is, stuff coming outta hollywood has 2 category's, shitty, and the really shitty.  BUBBA was a magnificent attempt dealing w/ the current economic situation AND has many special features for the DVD crowd. it''s f**king Halloween. check it out, smoke a doobie  watch and get real. or you can sit on you ass and blab over Leone which has been done to death as each group of hipsters think they gotta an idea . hell, I've forgotten more than most people know for crissakes.  I'm a mean old man goddam nit Lips Sealed

AND, one more thing  Angry !  while I'm at it, excellent flick just out called " THE RITE " scary shit man   Evil  better re up your prescription medications before watching this one pards
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1325635865/  

There's a separate thread for BHT: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=8610.0

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: October 25, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »

my point is, stuff coming outta hollywood has 2 category's, shitty, and the really shitty.

lol, ain't that the truth! Grin

don't temp me to take off my belt and whip you ass  Angry

lol x 2  Grin

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: October 25, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »

I have the vaguest memories of that flick and Segal isn't one of them.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi326371097/  

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:52:30 AM by sargatanas » Logged
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: October 25, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »

rock all night   1957     some gotta dance, some gotta kill
rock around the clock 1956  really cooks
rock around the world  1957  Elvis copy Tommy Steele cinematic artifact
rock baby rock   1957  syndicate bookies want their money
rockn roll high school  1979  teen drive-in movie... then drive out w/ YOUR money
rock pretty baby   1957  Sal mineo on bass
rock, rock, rock   1956  13 year old Tuesday weld devises a money scheme, heh-heh
rockabilly baby   1957   a rockabilly movie w/ music by Les brown ? gimmie a break over here

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:08:02 PM by sargatanas » Logged
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: October 25, 2010, 02:11:55 PM »

Les maîtres fous (1955) - 7.5/10
Jesus...

Inland Empire (2006)
Lynch. Not my favorite, but extra-lynchian nevertheless.

Concrete Jungle (1960) - 7.5/10
I think this is very British but I can't really say what makes it so different from Hollywood movies... (Except for the speach.)

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: October 25, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »

Street Fighter (1994) - gimme classics like this any day of the week/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: October 25, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »

Lust For Gold (1949) directed by S. Sylvan Simon and an uncredited George Marshall, with Ida Lupino, Glenn Ford, Gig Young, Edgar Buchanan, Will Geer, Paul Ford, Arthur Hunnicutt, and Jay Silverheels (pre Tonto). Story of the "The Lost Dutchman Mine" in the Superstition Mountains. Entertaining giving the background & story worth a look. 6.5/10.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:34:57 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: October 25, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »

How to Kill 400 Duponts (1967) This Diabolik spoof started on an italian saturday night show featuring Dorelli and Margaret Lee (that was when I fall in love with her, especially when she was singing "Col chicco". Here she gives another demonstration of her vocal capabilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdCVxvEwOg). The best thing of the movie is the r&b title song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbwF-FTX1vA&feature=related. But in the hands of Steno and with the good contribution of Terry Thomas the movie manages not to make you yawn, though it didn't make me roll on the floor laughing. 6\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: October 26, 2010, 05:57:57 AM »

A couple of new Blu-ray releases, via amazon.fr:

Le dernier vol ("The Last Flight") (2009) - 5/10. In 1933 a woman in the French Sahara searches for her lover who has crash landed. She never finds him. Uh, . . . this movie has a lot going for it: real camels, real sand dunes, the real Marion Cotillard, and a really good soundtrack (hah! I almost typed "sandtrack.") Unhappily, the story seems to be missing its third act. Once the woman and her companion get into the deep desert, they, and the plot, go nowhere. The film does offer a great sense of place, though.

Les demoiselles de Rochefort (1967) - 10/10. My favorite 60s musical, now enhanced for Blu-ray viewing. What makes this such a fun film--the movements, the colors, the witty script? No, it's the songwriting: for this movie, Michel Legrand wrote only winners. And did I mention this new French Blu-ray looks superb?

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: October 26, 2010, 05:59:23 PM »

The Flesh and the Fiends (1960) I saw  RKO's The Body Snatcher in the '80's on tv and found it real good. But this later movie on Burke and Hare it is probably better, though I should watch the former again. My only complain is about the studio sets: why they didn't shoot in Edinburgh is uncomprehensible. I think I saw about 20 movies featuring Cushging but I would be surprised if he ever gave a perfomance as good as this: this is the first time I see it playing different moods and he does it beatifully. And the rest of the cast is just as good. The plot doesn't concentrate merely on the murders but on Cushing's morals and a love story not at all trivial and well indented in the plot. The open finale is another good feature. 8\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: October 27, 2010, 06:28:15 AM »

The Flesh and the Fiends (1960) I saw  RKO's The Body Snatcher in the '80's on tv and found it real good. 8\10
Hmm, you make me want to watch both of these . . .

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: October 27, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »

The Sting - 4/5
Winter's Bone - 3/5
La Haine - 3/5
March of the Penguins - 3/5
Burden of Dreams - 3/5

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: October 28, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »

Les tontons flingueurs (1963) - 7/10. A noir-comedy in which a dying mob boss bequeaths his operation and the guardianship of his daughter to an old friend (Lino Ventura), an erstwhile gangster now a legitimate businessman. Disenfranchised underlings, led by a bumbling Bernard Blier, object and try to bump their new chief off. Meanwhile Lino is having problems keeping his new charge in school and out of the clutches of her fortune-hunting boyfriend. It all ends with a wedding and, presumably, several funerals. This is a film where all the weapons make funny noises when they're fired but are deadly nonetheless. The best feature is the endless string of witticisms delivered dead-pan from Ventura and a host of French character actors (No doubt I would enjoy this movie more if I were fluent in French). The widescreen b&w photography is (heh) to die for.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: October 28, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »

Les tontons flingueurs (1963) - 7/10.

I started watching this movie 2 days ago having bought in Paris last month (and read) the two first Simonin novels of the "grisbi" trilogy of which this is the third part (unfortunately I didn't find the novel on which this third is based, "grisbi or not grisbi", I'll have to order it online). I also have the other two movies and I decided to watch it when I have more time, hopefully next week. I read on wikipedia that Simonin's style (the dialogues are heavily based on argot, the criminals lingo) is too artificial and so tha his novels do not read well anymore. I can't judge fairly as I am not French, but probably who wrote those lines never read himself the novels which are turn-pagers  plotwise and brilliant as to style thanx to the argot. Probably the movies do not rely on the slang so much as Simonin does in the novels (you can't take a dictionary in the cinema with you) but just a little. But the fact that 2 out of three movies were classics says a lot about the material the directors found available in the Simonin's pages. The second movie, unfortunately, didn't adhere much to the Simonin's source. 

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: October 28, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »

I started watching this movie 2 days ago having bought in Paris last month (and read) the two first Simonin novels of the "grisbi" trilogy of which this is the third part (unfortunately I didn't find the novel on which this third is based, "grisbi or not grisbi", I'll have to order it online). I also have the other two movies and I decided to watch it when I have more time, hopefully next week. I read on wikipedia that Simonin's style (the dialogues are heavily based on argot, the criminals lingo) is too artificial and so tha his novels do not read well anymore. I can't judge fairly as I am not French, but probably who wrote those lines never read himself the novels which are turn-pagers  plotwise and brilliant as to style thanx to the argot. Probably the movies do not rely on the slang so much as Simonin does in the novels (you can't take a dictionary in the cinema with you) but just a little. But the fact that 2 out of three movies were classics says a lot about the material the directors found available in the Simonin's pages. The second movie, unfortunately, didn't adhere much to the Simonin's source.  
enjoyable post titoli  Smiley there isn't enough space  to relate trilogy's, in film,  novels or otherwise. it's been my experience  the first is quite naturally best, which inspires the 2Nd which is good but in not in keeping w/ the original. then comes the 3rd in the series, which is usually a mass of plots,etcetera  that completely abandon the original 1st in the series. never the less i intend to begin reading these novels, then post my thoughts

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:09:54 PM by sargatanas » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 1161 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM