Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 03:18:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1762486 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8610 on: November 05, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »

Him too!

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8611 on: November 06, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - 6-7/10 - Another Stanley Kramer Lesson in Liberalism! It's not as obnoxious as Inherit the Wind or as boring and pedantic as Judgment at Nuremburg, but it's still way too dramatically convenient and implausible, neatly wrapping up racism in a neat little bow. Of course, I couldn't get past the fact that these two have known each other ten days, a bigger hurdle IMO than the race issue, and how the obnoxious daughter forces the issue into a snap decision, making her unbelievably naive or cruel and selfish. And it's nice to see that Kramer didn't take the easy way out by making the black man completely flawless - oh, wait. Unquestionably, there are great individual scenes, and some of the supporting character dynamics are interesting, especially Poitier's parents and the house maid. But the big monologue at the end did absolutely nothing for me, not the least because most of it was summarizing the plot for the denser audience members. Spencer Tracy plays the same damned character in all of these films; Kate Hepburn is a bit more subdued than usual; Sidney Poitier is as good as his part allows; Katharine Houghton is obnoxious and hateable. The supporting cast was a lot better, especially Cecil Kallaway and Beah Richards.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:57:52 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: November 06, 2010, 03:36:38 PM »

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - 6-7/10 - Another Stanley Kramer Lesson in Liberalism! It's not as obnoxious as Inherit the Wind or as boring and pedantic as Judgment at Nuremburg, but it's still way too dramatically inconvenient and implausible, neatly wrapping up racism in a neat little bow. Of course, I couldn't get past the fact that these two have known each other ten days, a bigger hurdle IMO than the race issue, and how the obnoxious daughter forces the issue into a split decision, making her unbelievably naive or cruel and selfish. And it's nice to see that Kramer didn't take the easy way out by making the black man completely flawless - oh, wait. Unquestionably, there are great individual scenes, and some of the supporting character dynamics are interesting, especially Poitier's parents and the house maid. But the big monologue at the end did absolutely nothing for me, not the least because most of it was summarizing the plot for the denser audience members. Spencer Tracy plays the same damned character in all of these films; Kate Hepburn is a bit more subdued than usual; Sidney Poitier is as good as his part allows; Katharine Houghton is obnoxious and hateable. The supporting cast was a lot better, especially Cecil Kallaway and Beah Richards.
That about covers it, but you've described a "5", not a "6-7."

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8613 on: November 06, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »

Magnum Force - 8/10 - Thematically this is a really bizarre film. Apparently the film wants us to believe that vigilante violence is bad, but isn't that Harry's whole appeal? Here he's given a really bad speech about how "the system works" which rings completely false from a guy who bitched about criminal's rights in the last film. Not to mention his actions at the end ruin this dumb argument anyway. It's hard to fault the film on a pure entertainment level: Ted Post, writers John Milius and Michael Cimino, and Clint took what worked about the original Dirty Harry and multiplied it, with lots of violence, action scenes, political incorrectness and Albert Popwell. Not a whole lot of all-time-great dialogue despite the above-named scribes, although I found Harry's "Shooting... that's how people get shot!" a wonderful nonsequitir. Clint's a badass as usual and Hal Holbrook makes an excellent slimy bad guy. And Schiffrin's score is even better than the original's. Pretty close to the first Dirty Harry in entertainment value despite its garbled, dare I say hypocritical message.

10 Rillington Place - 9/10 - Richard Attenborough plays serial killer John Christie, who railroads gormless tenant John Hurt for the murder of his wife. Brilliant, extremely creepy flick: though the case in question helped lead to Britain abolishing capital punishment, it avoids being a preachy anti-death penalty plea with a "just the facts" approach which rightly makes Christie the monster. Sort of like a Hitchcock flick without the third-act "miracle": real life isn't quite that tidy. I might have liked a bit more ambiguity but then it wasn't meant as a mystery. Attenborough, who plays likeable guys, is truly loathsome and repulsive, and John Hurt is phenomenal too. Highly recommended.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8614 on: November 07, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »

Slumdog Millioniare - 9/10 - 4th viewing. Thanks HBO, I had a busy day.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: November 08, 2010, 06:12:12 AM »

Magnum Force - 8/10 - Thematically this is a really bizarre film. Apparently the film wants us to believe that vigilante violence is bad, but isn't that Harry's whole appeal? Here he's given a really bad speech about how "the system works" which rings completely false from a guy who bitched about criminal's rights in the last film. Not to mention his actions at the end ruin this dumb argument anyway. It's hard to fault the film on a pure entertainment level: Ted Post, writers John Milius and Michael Cimino, and Clint took what worked about the original Dirty Harry and multiplied it, with lots of violence, action scenes, political incorrectness and Albert Popwell. Not a whole lot of all-time-great dialogue despite the above-named scribes, although I found Harry's "Shooting... that's how people get shot!" a wonderful nonsequitir. Clint's a badass as usual and Hal Holbrook makes an excellent slimy bad guy. And Schiffrin's score is even better than the original's. Pretty close to the first Dirty Harry in entertainment value despite its garbled, dare I say hypocritical message.
You've nailed it. A film shot through with logical contradictions that remains nonetheless entertaining. That's our Harry.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: November 11, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »

six string samurai   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfTWYP4bE28&feature=related  Afro
composer / brian tyler   Cool
http://www.briantyler.com/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:27:54 PM by sargatanas » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: November 11, 2010, 07:02:26 PM »

a bit behind here:

Night Moves (1975) Gene Hackman as ex Oakland Raider PI in search of washed up movie stars daughter with Robert Woods, Harris Yulin, also  has a very young Melanie Griffiths showing everything she's got. Should have been better 6.5/10

Swann in Love (1984) Jeremy Irons and Ornella Muti (as high priced courtesan). Worth watching for the gorgeous Muti 7/10

Pickup On South Street (1953) Dir by Sam Fulller, with great performances by Richard Widmark, Jean Peters, Murvyn Vye, with Thelma Ritter stealing the the show as professional stool pigeon Mo. 10/10

The Set-Up (1949) Dir. Robert Wise with Robert Ryan, Audry Totter, nice little boxing noir 8/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8618 on: November 11, 2010, 07:04:51 PM »

Sudden Impact - 5/10 - Schematic, rote and by-the-numbers story, indifferently executed by Eastwood. I guess by the fourth entry, Harry was no longer interesting in and of himself, so we get lots of useless and annoying supporting characters to pad out the run-time. The violence is really sadistic and often in bad taste (Clint punching the lesbian repeatedly), which might be tolerable if there weren't so much of it. And that's not even mentioning the ending. Clint is awesome as usual but the supporting cast is awful: Sondra Locke should go back to her kennel until she learns how to act, and even Pat Hingle comes off poorly. Its saving grace, besides Clint, is a number of fun set-pieces - I love Clint chasing a crook while driving a bus full of senior citizens. On the whole, though, it's a dud. I'm amused to see that Boggy Creek auteur Charles B. Pierce is one of the screenwriters, which may account for the suckiness.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:06:46 PM by Groggy » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: November 11, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »

Night Moves (1975) Gene Hackman as ex Oakland Raider PI in search of washed up movie stars daughter with Robert Woods, Harris Yulin, also  has a very young Melanie Griffiths showing everything she's got. Should have been better 6.5/10

This is a movie whose reputation has always been a mystery to me, exalted by critics as one of the greatest PI movie. I saw it in a cinema and again on tv and always bored me to death. Maybe just a little less than The Conversation (another critics choice) but still lacking any kind of grit.  it appears to mean something special all the time but the plot keeps revolving on uitself like the boat at the end.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: November 12, 2010, 05:59:38 AM »

Yeah, the boat at the end. I sure remember that bit. Not much else . . .

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8621 on: November 12, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »

In Cold Blood - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. The Stanley Kramer speechmaking the last fifteen minutes is the only flaw; it made me really pine for 10 Rillington Place.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: November 12, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »

In Cold Blood - 9/10 - 2nd viewing. The Stanley Kramer speechmaking the last fifteen minutes is the only flaw; it made me really pine for 10 Rillington Place.
and, speaking of stanley kramer, here's " the making of the shining " by his daughter
vivian kramer  
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4745727919325920852#   Afro

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:10:39 PM by sargatanas » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8623 on: November 13, 2010, 10:02:36 PM »

Unstoppable - 7/10 - About what you'd expect but done very well. Nothing inventive or artistically brilliant but you can't fault it as brainless popcorn entertainment. Always nice to see Rosario Dawson even she's fully clothed throughout.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: November 14, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »

Unstoppable - 7/10 - About what you'd expect but done very well. Nothing inventive or artistically brilliant but you can't fault it as brainless popcorn entertainment. Always nice to see Rosario Dawson even she's fully clothed throughout.
How does it compare with Runaway Train?

Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM