Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:21:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 1166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1803512 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8655 on: November 24, 2010, 01:29:32 PM »

Loose Change - 0/10 - 2nd viewing. This time I got to watch it with skeptic's commentary which was a treat, though it made the thing an hour longer and no less painful. Afro

Up (2009) - 7/10 - Year listed so Jinkies doesn't confuse it with the Russ Meyer flick. Cheesy The first ten minutes are beautiful. And the animation is amazing throughout, with good music and voice acting in accompaniment. Shame about the lousy story. Still probably better than any of the other Best Picture nominees.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8656 on: November 25, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »

Up (1976) - 7/10 - Year listed so Jinkies doesn't confuse it with the crappy Disney flick. Cheesy The first ten minutes are beautiful. And the animation is amazing throughout, with good music and voice acting in accompaniment. Shame about the lousy story.
It's amazing how Groggy's generic reviews can apply to just about any film. Evil

White Material (2010) - 5/10. Went to a Broadway matinee yesterday (Jeffrey Wright in "A Free Man of Color"). Across from Lincoln Center is the Lincoln Center Plaza Cinemas and, as luck would have it, the one place playing the one film I particularly wanted to see this week. And as they had a showtime well before the matinee I showed up in time to catch it. The film is the new Claire Denis, starring Isabelle Huppert, about--better sit down--whites in Africa! Huppert is a coffee plantation owner who tries unsuccessfully to keep things going whilst all about her is descending into a chaotic civil war. The buzz on this film has been terrific, and in two weeks the Blu-ray is coming out in the UK, and I was planning to get it, but I thought I'd better check it out first anyway. Well, I was disappointed. Denis has great mise-en-scene, editing, etc. but the story basically amounts to a series of ever-escalating atrocities as violence begets violence and we learn that whites shouldn't be in Africa. Uh huh. I'll just cancel my order for the Blu-ray.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8657 on: November 25, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »

Murder in the Ring (Un uomo dalla pelle dura )(1972) This is one of the rare movies which had the power to put me to sleep so, instead of 1\10 I give it 2\10. It is hard to put up with the embarrassing lines the actors have to deliver, the mediocre plot and the fact that this is one of the rare italian movies shot in USA: such a waste. Marketed in Italy as a Tomas Milian dvd, it is actually a Robert Blake flick.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:22:41 PM by titoli » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8658 on: November 26, 2010, 02:17:20 AM »

With Catherine Spaak, though.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8659 on: November 26, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »

I could agree were it not that herein she has a bloated face and doesn't show much skin (or, if she did, I was sleeping).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8660 on: November 27, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

Whenever someone mentions Catherine Spaak I immediately think of Camilla Sparv, and when I think of Camilla Sparv I think of:

Downhill Racer (1969) - 9/10. Robert Redford plays a skier with Olympic aspirations who's an arrogant bastard. He wins gold. Great documentary-like approach to the subject; at times the film resembles Wide World of Sports: The Movie ("The thrill of victory. The agony of defeat.") The filmmakers make the most of film as a visual medium, showing rather than telling. This is the kind of movie today's Hollywood, with its fetish for over-explaining everything, can no longer make.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8661 on: November 27, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) - 2.35/10

Couple of semi-noteworthy line exchanges but that's about it. Could have been somewhat better without the pointless never-ending action near the end. Though I suspect that would have been even more pointless.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:15:19 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8662 on: November 27, 2010, 03:24:53 PM »

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) - 2.35/10

Couple of semi-noteworthy line exchanges but that's about it. Could have been somewhat better without the pointless never-ending action near the end. Though I suspect that would have been even more pointless.
Actually, I found it fairly entertaining.

Millhouse (1971) - 7/10

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8663 on: November 27, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »

I'm with DD on this. Pretty much as terrible as an Hollywood action comedy can be. I suspect the only reason why a couple people still went to see it on tv is the gossip the movie generated (brad and Angelina "met" on this set).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8664 on: November 28, 2010, 06:03:34 AM »

Actually, I found it fairly entertaining.

Even with that taken into consideration, I doubt you'd give it more than a, say, 6.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8665 on: November 28, 2010, 06:06:25 AM »

I'm with DD on this. Pretty much as terrible as an Hollywood action comedy can be. I suspect the only reason why a couple people still went to see it on tv is the gossip the movie generated (brad and Angelina "met" on this set).

Though I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it - you suspect correctly.

As if I needed confirmation: I'm pretty sure these so called ''great HW romances'' are (always) coming from the same old place - the heads somewhere up there in the tabloid hierarchy. Nevertheless, I wish Brad and Angelina the best.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:13:19 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8666 on: November 28, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »

The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) - 6/10

Cecil B. DeMille's penultimate movie is big miss, but hardly the worst movie to ever win the AA, if you ask me. The drama is laughable, to say at least, and the atmosphere nonexistent, but still, the presentation of the circus folklore makes it watchable, if not even enjoyable. I reckon kids would like it to a certain extent, cause they don't even know what a circus is like in first place. Luckily for me, I saw Moira Orfei and her elephants when I was little.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8667 on: November 28, 2010, 05:21:24 PM »

The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) - 6/10

Cecil B. DeMille's penultimate movie is big miss, but hardly the worst movie to ever win the AA, if you ask me. The drama is laughable, to say at least, and the atmosphere nonexistent, but still, the presentation of the circus folklore makes it watchable, if not even enjoyable. I reckon kids would like it to a certain extent, cause they don't even know what a circus is like in first place. Luckily for me, I saw Moira Orfei and her elephants when I was little.

That sounds about right.

Saturday nights with Groggy
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8668 on: November 29, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »

Luckily for me, I saw Moira Orfei and her elephants when I was little.

Yeah, luckily for you when you were little. Now you could hardly tell one from the other.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8669 on: November 29, 2010, 02:33:34 AM »

Yeah, luckily for you when you were little. Now you could hardly tell one from the other.

I didn't know DJ was into Moira.

Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 1166 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM