Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 11:43:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1170 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1843773 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8670 on: November 29, 2010, 04:09:30 AM »

Cheesy

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8671 on: November 30, 2010, 05:47:20 PM »

Black Narcissus - 8/10 - Well, like any Archers production it's a gorgeous film to behold, and it's exponentially impressive for its being filmed entirely on London sets: the matte paintings and miniature work are nothing short of extraordinary. The film has an appropriately creepy atmosphere and some rather pointed things to say about imperialism, but I found the story moving in fits and starts, though the last twenty minutes or so with Sister Ruth's breakdown were really disturbing. I could have done without the Sabu-Jean Simmons subplot but fortunately it doesn't take up too much time. Like other P&P films I can see this one growing on me with repeat viewings.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: December 01, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »

Black Narcissus - 8/10 - Well, like any Archers production it's a gorgeous film to behold, and it's exponentially impressive for its being filmed entirely on London sets: the matte paintings and miniature work are nothing short of extraordinary. The film has an appropriately creepy atmosphere and some rather pointed things to say about imperialism, but I found the story moving in fits and starts, though the last twenty minutes or so with Sister Ruth's breakdown were really disturbing. I could have done without the Sabu-Jean Simmons subplot but fortunately it doesn't take up too much time. Like other P&P films I can see this one growing on me with repeat viewings.
Good run-down, Grogs. I don't much care for the story: the agent to the local potentate predicts the nuns won't last until the spring rains; the nuns give it a go, Katherine Byron goes nuts, the nuns quit; final shot: cue the rain! But the visuals: as you say, they are extraordinary. I got the blu-ray just so I could watch those matte paintings over and over in HD.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8673 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:57 PM »

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - 8/10 - 4th viewing. I remembered not liking this much, but I really enjoyed it this time around; perhaps it's a question of moods. Anyway, I don't like the score and Katharine Ross should stick to contemporary films but otherwise it's pretty hard to fault: Newman and Redford have perfect chemistry, the script's chock full of wit, there's a neat supporting cast (this is one of my favorite Strother Martin performances, for a start) and the movie has an amazingly crisp pace despite lacking a real narrative. Lots of fun, is what I'm saying.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: December 03, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »

lots of movies recently - some good some bad, most average

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »

lots of movies recently - some good some bad, most average
Thank you for your input.

The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964) - 7/10
I've got Salo waiting and I'm prepared to see something completely different.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8676 on: December 04, 2010, 08:00:31 PM »

The Bravados - 8/10 - Takes awhile to get going, but once the bad guys break out of jail it turns into a solid oater. Beautiful photography, Peck at his best and lots of Spaghetti influence, with a really grim and nihilistic "twist" (neutered a bit by the religious content). Peck's confrontation with LVC is the highpoint for me.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: December 05, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »

The Devil's Brigade (1968) - 5/10

As with most Andie McLaglen movies: I was afraid this will never end. I will not start writing what has been written here for like a million times before. I will just say this: zero coherence - maximum mediocrity and overacting. Good ole Willie Holden looked lost.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »

Alien Nation (1988) I bought this only for James Caan's presence (and Terence Stamp's: but the make up doesn't help his performance): and he's very good, better than in his some of his more famous roles. It could have been a good variation on the buddy-cop subgenre: but the plot is too simplistic and the dialogues have no sparkle of comedy or brilliance to let the screen time pass easily. 4\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: December 06, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »

Legionnaire (1998) - I almost watched it/10

Seriously.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8680 on: December 09, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »

Brannigan - 6/10 - Silly but fun. The Duke is twenty years too old to be playing an ersatz Dirty Harry, the plot is kind of dumb and things don't get interesting for about an hour, so it's not a good film by any stretch. Still, it's hard not to like it: it looks like everyone is having a blast and the spirit is infectious. There's a really interesting cast and good action scenes to help things along; the pub fight with Richard Attenborough socking his way through half of London's barflies was my favorite scene. And where else are you going to see John Wayne playing a scene with Baldrick from Blackadder? Cheesy

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: December 11, 2010, 05:52:59 PM »

Woman of Straw (1964) 6/10. Sean Connery, at his Mephistophelean best, conspires with Gina Lollobrigida to have her marry his rich uncle Ralph Richardson to get control of the man's fortune. As the plot unfolds, however, Gina develops affection for the old man and qualms about the scheme. Not to worry, though, as Connery is totally playing her. Lots of psychological tension on view, but things proceed at a somewhat-too-leisurely pace for 21st Century viewers. The film does provide Richardson with one of his greatest screen roles; or rather, I should say, two roles, as he has to spend a good deal of time as a corpse. Great soundtrack, too, featuring works by Beethoven, Berlioz, Mozart and Rimsky-Korsakov--4 years before Kubrick re-introduced the classical repertoire to cinema in 2001.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8682 on: December 11, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »

The Tourist - 6/10 - 127 Hours proved incommodious so here we are. As you'd probably expect from the ads and trailers, it's Hitchcock lite, grafting North by Northwest's plot (spy/cops and robbers game hinging on a case of mistaken identity) onto a To Catch a Thief sensibility (pretty people doing pretty things in a pretty place with a lazy story). Heck, there is a very obvious NxNW homage in the first twenty minutes. The astute viewer can follow every twist and turn but it's still reasonably entertaining: a big plus is the script, which has its share of witty dialogue and clever ideas, including a great running gag with Depp confusing Spanish with Italian. Depp and Jolie are on autopilot but there's a neat supporting cast: when was the last time you saw Steven Berkoff in anything? And Timothy Dalton makes up for his minimal screen time with the biggest laughs of the movie. Action scenes are competent, the movie looks nice, it's a typically slick Hollywood product all around.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: December 12, 2010, 04:27:11 AM »

The Narrow Margin (1952) Great noir film with Charles McGraw, Marie Windsor, Jacqueline White, Gordon Gebert, David Clarke, Peter Virgo, and Paul Maxey (who was a staple on 50's TV) excellent cross country passenger train setting, fun dialog, nice stylistic touches, Windsor & McGraw at their best. 10/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: December 12, 2010, 08:13:34 AM »

The Tourist - 6/10 - 127 Hours proved incommodious so here we are. As you'd probably expect from the ads and trailers, it's Hitchcock lite, grafting North by Northwest's plot (spy/cops and robbers game hinging on a case of mistaken identity) onto a To Catch a Thief sensibility (pretty people doing pretty things in a pretty place with a lazy story). Heck, there is a very obvious NxNW homage in the first twenty minutes. The astute viewer can follow every twist and turn but it's still reasonably entertaining: a big plus is the script, which has its share of witty dialogue and clever ideas, including a great running gag with Depp confusing Spanish with Italian. Depp and Jolie are on autopilot but there's a neat supporting cast: when was the last time you saw Steven Berkoff in anything? And Timothy Dalton makes up for his minimal screen time with the biggest laughs of the movie. Action scenes are competent, the movie looks nice, it's a typically slick Hollywood product all around.
Actually, about a "4." The Spanish-Italian gag wasn't bad, but that was the only funny thing in it. The plot was lame, lame, lame: it took me all of two minutes to figure out what the "twist" would be. There was a bit of fun spotting some of the surprise casting choices, though: you mention Berkhoff and Dalton but there was also, as a total red herring, Rufus Sewell. I did see the film projected in 4K, so Venice looked really fabulous. As a travelogue the film has value; as narrative, not so much.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:14:43 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1170 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM