Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 04:15:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761575 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8685 on: December 12, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »

Yes, Rufus Sewel. I was going to mention him but he didn't have much to do, did he?

I got a few laughs out of the film, especially in Dalton's scenes and Paul Bettany arguing with the sniper at the end. You're right that the story is lame (maybe not lame x 3) but it was enjoyable enough as a piece of fluff. They ought to have gotten someone more interested in the material than Depp, who seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else throughout the whole film.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: December 12, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »

Mr. Hulot's Holiday (1953) - 6/10
It's got some hilarious bits but gags are few and far between, and there's practically no story.

Murder, My Sweet (1944) - 7.5/10
Powell does a great Marlowe. Visually the movie is rather bland except for the passing out and delirium scenes. Too much is told in dialogue, there's very little action.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8687 on: December 13, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »

Psycho - 7(?)/10 - 2nd viewing. My first watch was nearly a decade ago (where does the time go?) and my previous rating was softened by memory. Well, I finally watched it today and I was a mite disappointed. Basically it's Hitchcock being a master craftsman, putting all his effort and skills into making a chintzy B Horror flick, but one wonders if it's worth the effort. There's just an anemic feel to a lot of it, and for all the stylish moments and the admittedly fascinating Norman Bates it's nowhere near his best, neither artistically nor entertainment wise. The acting is a high-point - even the usually wooden John Gavin and obnoxious Vera Miles come off well - and its big set pieces are appropriately well-done (I like Arbogast's demise better than the shower scene, though). And yes, Jinkies, the music is great. But the movie as a whole isn't.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: December 14, 2010, 03:22:57 AM »

Cats and Dogs (1982) Mild crime comedy with Bud Spencer and Milian subbing for Hill as he plays a petty criminal. I never laughed. 5\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: December 14, 2010, 05:35:38 AM »

Psycho - 7(?)/10 - 2nd viewing. My first watch was nearly a decade ago (where does the time go?) and my previous rating was softened by memory. Well, I finally watched it today and I was a mite disappointed. Basically it's Hitchcock being a master craftsman, putting all his effort and skills into making a chintzy B Horror flick, but one wonders if it's worth the effort. There's just an anemic feel to a lot of it, and for all the stylish moments and the admittedly fascinating Norman Bates it's nowhere near his best, neither artistically nor entertainment wise. The acting is a high-point - even the usually wooden John Gavin and obnoxious Vera Miles come off well - and its big set pieces are appropriately well-done (I like Arbogast's demise better than the shower scene, though). And yes, Jinkies, the music is great. But the movie as a whole isn't.
Yeah, your take pretty well squares with mine. I find, though, that I like the first half a whole lot better than everything after Marion Crane's demise. It's not merely that no shock can top the one where Hitch kills off his heroine mid-way through the picture: Marion is actually the most interesting character in the film, and her story--her steady movement away from civilization into what Robin Woods called "the chaos world"--is compelling. Norman Bates is interesting up to a point, but nothing matches the scene where the two talk together in the Bates Motel office. Norman on his own is just one note played too often. And speaking of notes: yeah, the music is great, but Re-animator's appropriation of it has pretty much ruined it for me.

Btw, should I mention how fabulous the Blu-ray looks?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: December 14, 2010, 06:32:25 AM »

My Gun Is Quick (1957) Third Spillane novel brought to the screen Robert Bray was an acceptable Hammer, action is moved to California again, women are "hammer-tomically" correct but sexuality is again neutered. 5/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8691 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »

All the President's Men - 9/10 - 4th viewing.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8692 on: December 15, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »

Posse (1975) - 7/10 - 2nd viewing. Rewatch week here at the Groggy Hacienda.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: December 17, 2010, 04:53:33 AM »

Wolf (1994) - ?/10

Watched like an hour of this until I went to sleep: I sincerely don't know if it was even possible to make it any more predictable. Maybe it deserved a fiver later on, don't know.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8694 on: December 17, 2010, 06:59:34 AM »

Rewatches of

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 8/10

Elmer Gantry - 9/10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: December 18, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »

Lars and the Real Girl (2007) - 8/10

This must be as good as a comedy drama can be. Hilarious, brilliant, great performances.

I do not remember when was the last time I said something like this for a new movie.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: December 19, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 - 7/10

Quite ok, faithful to the book and has enough time for everything. Way better than the last two ones. Still jsut 7/10 because I hated the first half of the book. Nothing happens.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: December 19, 2010, 10:54:57 PM »

All the President's Men - 9/10 - 4th viewing.
How do you remember/why do you bother remembering the number of times youve seen a movie? sheesh!

black swan - good stuff
a single man - gaaaay but all right i guess, sort of

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: December 21, 2010, 07:46:05 AM »

The Miracle Worker (1962) - 6/10
Arthur Penn's melodrama about a mute/deaf/blind girl and her teacher. Just about every scene with the mom (Inga Swenson) is horrible tear jerking but the scenes between the teacher and the girl are pretty energetic.

Rare Exports (2010) - 7/10
Fun.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: December 21, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »

Rare Exports (2010) - 7/10
Fun.
That's it? Nothing more to say?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM