Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 02:36:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1761461 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8700 on: December 21, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »

Legends of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole - 8/10 - The story is derivative to the extreme, with an obvious plot and predictable characters. What makes this soar above the majority of Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks mediocrities is that it is unremittingly dark and serious (the Fascist overtones are hard to miss), avoiding the schizophrenia of its peers, and despite some palatable comic relief it's definitely not a kid's movie. Gorgeous animation and a great voice cast also help.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: December 21, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »

That's it? Nothing more to say?
Sums it up pretty well. If you like fun movies, it's for you. All I can add is that it's surprisingly "sincere" (can't find a better word). Its basic attitude is not ironic or sarcastic, though that's what I was expecting. Is it running in NYC?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: December 21, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »

Is it running in NYC?
Very obscurely.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: December 23, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »

After moviesceleton's ecstatic review, I tracked this down in the one NY theater that was playing it and forked over my $13.

Rare Exports (2010) 8/10. Santa Claus is coming to town . . . and you'd better not be there when he arrives! I thought this was not only "fun" but great fun. The reasons are several: the use of Christmas traditions in new and clever ways; scenic views of Northern Finland and the presentation of modern Lapp culture (not readily available to us in other films); an all-male cast with a problem to solve (with all the adult males wearing handsome beards); and, best of all, a young star convincingly determined to take out the bad guy. This kid has the situation sussed by the finish of the opening credits, and when the adults don't heed him, he swings into action on his own. No whimpering or crying to mom here! Everybody eventually gets on board, of course, and there is the usual mission-ending explosion.  But the epilogue--what a payoff! (literally). This is a great film for fathers and sons to view together.  Watching this every season is gonna be a new Jenkins Family tradition.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8704 on: December 23, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »

So, it's great fun.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: December 23, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »

We Own the Night (2007) - 7/10

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8706 on: December 23, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »

We Own the Night (2007) - 7/10

That car scene, under the rain, best car chase ever. Because instead of going for the spectacular, they go for the dramatic side of things.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »

That car scene, under the rain, best car chase ever. Because instead of going for the spectacular, they go for the dramatic side of things.
Yeah, that chase is great.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: December 23, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »

True Grit (2010) - 9/10. Funny in that grimly humorous Coens way, with excellent performances by all concerned. Bridges is particularly good, but the kid playing Mattie is the star--and it's Mattie's story this time, not a vehicle for the male lead (not that there was anything wrong with that approach). The Coens have changed the story at certain points: in some cases to add the odd cameos they so like, in others for no apparent reason than to depart from the earlier version of the film so that their telling will be certain to stand on its own. This works sometimes, but often these changes are not an improvement, and sometimes even annoying (there are not one but TWO occasions where LeBoeuf breaks with Cogburn and rides off. Once would have been dramatically effective, but a second time?).  And the music disappoints: I'm not a big Carter Burwell fan, but in most of the Coens' flims his scores are unobtrusive. This time out, he's decided to use the melody of "Leaning On the Everlasting Arms" as a motif, not bad in itself, but he really runs it into the ground, and then over the closing credits we have to listen to Dolly Parton sing her rendition. Uhhh . . . On the positive side of the ledger, the Coens restore Portis's epilogue, so we get the moment when the adult Mattie talks to Cole Younger and then tells Frank James to "Keep your seat, trash." Naturally, Deakins' camera work is top notch (all should see the film projected digitally), although I was disappointed to learn that New Mexico was playing Oklahoma this time (I guess there's some reason why Oklahoma can't play Oklahoma). Anyway, the Hathaway version will probably remain my favorite, but this is a worthy successor.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:11:35 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: December 26, 2010, 06:03:33 AM »

The last hour of Suspicion (1941) (not among the best Hitchcocks but fairly entertaining) which I have seen, in its entirety, before and parts of  Gunga Din (1939). I can't really comment that one; I wasn't in the right mood and was distracted by other stuff. But I don't plan on watching it in the near future. 

Wallace and Gromit in A Close Shave (1995) - 10/10
Has probably the best chase scene in the history of cinema.

Blow-Up (1966) - 7.5/10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8710 on: December 27, 2010, 06:53:19 AM »

A Christmas Story - 9/10 - Yearly viewing.

Despicable Me - 6/10 - About what I was expecting. Bland animation, decent story, good voice acting, hit-and-miss gags. In short, mediocre.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8711 on: December 27, 2010, 08:08:02 AM »

The last hour of Suspicion (1941) (not among the best Hitchcocks but fairly entertaining) which I have seen, in its entirety, before and parts of  Gunga Din (1939). I can't really comment that one; I wasn't in the right mood and was distracted by other stuff. But I don't plan on watching it in the near future. 

Wallace and Gromit in A Close Shave (1995) - 10/10
Has probably the best chase scene in the history of cinema.

Blow-Up (1966) - 7.5/10

I like Suspicion and I don't even mind the ending as much as most. I have fairly vague memories of Gunga Din, I remember enjoying it but not as much as The Four Feathers and other similar films.

Blow-Up I hated. I don't think I've seen Wallace and Gromit.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: December 27, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »

Must Love Dogs (2005) - 6/10

I don't know what happened but I sorta liked it, I mean, I feel could even watch it again sometimes. One reason for that could be the pollution soap operas created on most channels, hence something like this seems fresh as monkey breath. Another reason could be the fact that I never watch romantic comedies, if there's even the slightest chance I could avoid it - I take that chance. The third and final reason is obviously Diane Lane, I mean she just has something few other actresses have, she doesn't look like she just came down from some track where they produce them one after another. I see even females agree with me on that.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:18:02 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8713 on: December 27, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »

True Grit (2010) - 9/10 - I will be unequivocal: this movie is miles better than the original. Heck, I might say it's the best Western of the last thirty years. Finally, we get a modern Western that feels like a classic Western, rather than an action flick in period garb (3:10 to Yuma) or a revisionist period piece (Jesse James). The Coens's penchant for quirky dialogue suits the show perfectly and the movie gets a lot more bite and humor of the script than the original did. The photography is gorgeous, the art direction period-authentic without feeling stuffy, and the action scenes perfectly-staged; the so-so score is the only technical demerit. Jeff Bridges is even better than the Duke, though his portrayal of Cogburn is so different that a comparison is borderline irrelevant. Hailee Steinfeld is excellent, showing that the problem with the original True Grit was Kim Darby, not Mattie Ross. Matt Damon's just okay, which still makes him miles better than Glenn Campbell. I also found Dakin Matthews's Strother Martin impression uncanny. Full-length review to come.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:16:53 PM by Groggy » Logged

Whalestoe
« Reply #8714 on: December 27, 2010, 06:15:56 PM »

True Grit (2010) - 9/10 - I will be unequivocal: this movie is miles better than the original. Heck, I might say it's the best Western of the last thirty years. Finally, we get a modern Western that feels like a classic Western, rather than an action flick in period garb (3:10 to Yuma) or a revisionist period piece (Jesse James). The Coens's penchant for quirky dialogue suits the show perfectly and the movie gets a lot more bite and humor of the script than the original did. The photography is gorgeous, the art direction period-authentic without feeling stuffy, and the action scenes perfectly-staged; the so-so score is the only technical demerit. Jeff Bridges is even better than the Duke, though his portrayal of Cogburn is so different that a comparison is borderline irrelevant. Hailee Steinfeld is excellent, showing that the problem with the original True Grit was Kim Darby, not Mattie Ross. Matt Damon's just okay, which still makes him miles better than Glenn Campbell. I also found Dakin Matthews's Strother Martin impression uncanny. Full-length review to come.

I agree with everything you've said. Everything.

Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM