Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 06:33:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1162 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1770130 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #8730 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

I've never seen a French movie or any movie in general try even harder to be as 'artsy' as possible with the random fades to black in the middle of scenes, overuse of blue, and awful use of music. Not to mention almost every action in the entire film is pointless and nonsensical. I turned the bullshit off as soon as the woman started crying over her guilt of unleashing a cat to kill mice. Are you fucking kidding me? Fuck this.

Well, if you didn't follow Blue to the end, you don't really know what it was about. The film is about how one woman overcomes her grief through the act of composing music. The score, then--one of the greatest ever written for film--is an essential element because it is the music that Julie is fitfully remembering/composing. Eventually, the score takes over: the film ends with a coda that shows all the characters in their final states while the complete piece plays (which is called, pretentiously to be sure, "Song For the Unification of Europe"). At last it becomes clear that the music is more important than any one's individual story: we're all in this together. More importantly, the film convincingly shows how a work of music might actually come to be composed. It is one of the few films that successfully and entertainingly celebrates the act of artistic creation.

The "random" fades to black, by the way, are moments when the music intrudes on Julie, almost against her will, threatening to emerge. The director thus uses a simple bit of cinematic grammar in a fresh and exciting way to communicate--of all things!--something ineffable.

It's odd that you continue to pretend to like cinema. You don't understand it, and you seem adamant about never wanting to. It's your loss, of course, but your attitude strikes me as very strange.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:46 PM »

I hated Blue more than anything, liked/really liked White, what will I think of Red?
It's more like Blue than White but I think you'll like it better than Blue.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: January 08, 2011, 01:22:52 PM »

All the Colours of the Dark (1972) The reasons to watch this movie are three: Fenech, Scott, Malfatti, however you may rank them. Unfortunately there is little skin shown like in most giallos of the era, so you have to yawn through 90 minutes of bad plotting to catch glimpses of jugs amd bun (mostly courtesy of pre-surgery edvige). I bought a dizaine of these giallos at 1 euro each but I suspect it is much better to organize a collection of all the nude scenes present in these artifacts than to enter this yawn-marathon. 5\10.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8733 on: January 08, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »

The King's Speech - 7/10 - Well, first off, our theater was right next to The Black Swan, which means at various intervals we had Swan Lake and Natalie Portman masturbating drown out our own film, which was quite unpleasant. Anyway: it is a very British period piece as you'd probably expect, but it gets a point or two above the average costumer because of David Seidler's witty script. Firth and Rush were both superb and the supporting cast was filled with familiar actors playing familiar personages: Michael Gambon (George V), Guy Pearce (Edward VIII), Timothy Spall (Winston Churchill), Anthony Andrews (Stanley Baldwin). A cut above what I was expecting but I wouldn't put it too high on my 2010 list.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: January 09, 2011, 01:47:28 AM »

Fenech

...would be reason enough to see any movie.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: January 09, 2011, 05:37:10 AM »

The Sound of Insects: Record of a Mummy (2008) - 6/10
Promoted as a documentary though it's not. "A hunter in a remote and idyllic forest stumbles on a make shift tent fashioned from sheets of plastic and containing the mummified remains of a corpse. A detailed journal found on site reveals the man committed suicide by self-imposed starvation. Who was this man? Why did he kill himself in such a manner? Inspired by this true event and by the novella 'Until I Am a Mummy' by Shimada Masahiko, Insects sensuously evokes the mysterious man's last days." The text ("journal" of the man) is interesting but would work as well as a radio play. The imagery is either indifferent or actually plays against the story: it consists of random shots of various things, but in the end they kind of celebrate the variety and diversity of the world and remind that the world's far too interesting a place to be left behind voluntarily - something that the protagonist of the film couldn't disagree more with.   

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: January 09, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010) - 8/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8737 on: January 09, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »

Fargo (1996) Quite entertaining, though I do not go much for plot where there's a competition between idiots to see who does his best to get caught.  7\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: January 10, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »

Fargo (1996) Quite entertaining, though I do not go much for plot where there's a competition between idiots to see who does his best to get caught.  7\10
Too much like your own life, eh? Sure, I understand.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8739 on: January 10, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

Too much like your own life, eh? Sure, I understand.

You should eat bananas instead of collecting them...

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8740 on: January 10, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »

You should eat bananas instead of collecting them...
Oh, he can quote the Bible!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: January 10, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »

It probably sounds better in Italian. Grin

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »

It probably sounds better in Italian. Grin

No, it is just that it was the expurgated version.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: January 10, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »

Back to Bataan (1945) Shot mostly in a studio, fares failry well except for some more sheer propagandistic moments one could do well without. 6\10

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: January 10, 2011, 11:52:20 PM »

It's odd that you continue to pretend to like cinema. You don't understand it, and you seem adamant about never wanting to. It's your loss, of course, but your attitude strikes me as very strange.
I didn't like the movie. Have you ever disliked a movie that many other people like? Yeah, I thought so. Shut the fuck up.

I won't argue with you about my understanding of the movie, as I don't have to right to since I didn't finish it. However I don't think it's necessary to attack my love and passion for movies because I couldn't fucking stand one "artistically significant film".

I watch movies to be intrigued, pulled in to the story and characters, emotionally affected, and most of all - entertained. That's how I see it. There's no 'rulebook' on how and why to watch a movie. Blue failed to do that for me in every way, and that's that.

So now I'll head back into the world of real life, where I, a misunderstanding little boy who wastes hours of his week watching movies to only pretend to like cinema, will return to his world of simple fools like me. It's a shame I'll never fit in with the high and mighty crowd of geniuses at the Fistful of Leone Index.

Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1162 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM