Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 08:07:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate The Last Movie You Saw
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 1169 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate The Last Movie You Saw  (Read 1834391 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8775 on: January 24, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

I just watched this too, but was very disappointed. The subject matter is really interesting, but the direction just seems flat to me. None of the characters seem particularly interesting, either, and when they have conversations they never say anything that isn't obvious or trite. Suspense is almost nonexistant in a film that should have you on the edge of your seat most of the time. An example is the scene with the missing grenade pin--after the group loses its nerve about tossing a "pineapple" into a crowded bordello, they can't find the pin they need to make it safe again. Now they've got a live grenade they don't know what to with. Tarantino would have seen the potential in the situation and milked of every last drop of humor and suspense. But in this case the group just goes back to the leader's apartment to get a sewing needle. I'm sure this is what actually happened, but it doesn't make for very good cinema. I think the problem was that the director didn't want to depart much from actual events. This was confirmed to me when I watched the director's interview that accompanies the film on the new R1 disc. He holds all these real-life characters in such high esteem that he was apparently unwilling to add anything not in the record (except for sex). Well, that way, you end up with pretty lifeless characters, just principles and noble sentiments that happen to have arms and legs. I really wanted to like this film, too, but coming as it does after far superior Resistance films--Flame and Citron from Denmark, and Black Book from Holland--it appears very lackluster (in spite of the beautiful photography). Best I can do: 6/10.

The director is French with Armenian origin. Hence, the movie rocks.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8776 on: January 24, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »

The Green Hornet (2011) - 5/10
Was very disapointed. Appart from (maximum) 10 good ideas (jokes/cast/camerawork/everything included), it's just mediocre, boring and the execution is perfectly uninspired. When i first saw the trailer, I had very low expectations about this. Then I read a lot of great reviews and thought it was going to be as good as a Gondry movie. But what you see (in the trailer) is what you get. Not more, not less. So let's be short:
- Waltz is great
- The others are ok (which isn't enough. The main character had to be played by somebody MORE than ok to be interesting with these "ok but never stopping" dialogues)
- Terrible 3D, but may be the cinema where I was is responsible for this, so.....
- Boooooooooooooooooooooooring.
- Everything "so incredibly cool and amazing and never seen before" that is in this movie, you've seen before, and much better: in Watchmen (which has many flaws) and Scott Pilgrim (which has some, but still rocks)

The Hurt Locker 7/10
Very well done, nothing new (we've had so many masterpieces about war now that there is very few new things to say/show), exept for the deminors stuff. The shaky cam was ok for me. Not great, ok, since you're still drawn into the movie after a few minutes.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8777 on: January 24, 2011, 01:28:02 PM »

I just watched this too, but was very disappointed. The subject matter is really interesting, but the direction just seems flat to me. None of the characters seem particularly interesting, either, and when they have conversations they never say anything that isn't obvious or trite. Suspense is almost nonexistant in a film that should have you on the edge of your seat most of the time. An example is the scene with the missing grenade pin--after the group loses its nerve about tossing a "pineapple" into a crowded bordello, they can't find the pin they need to make it safe again. Now they've got a live grenade they don't know what to with. Tarantino would have seen the potential in the situation and milked of every last drop of humor and suspense. But in this case the group just goes back to the leader's apartment to get a sewing needle. I'm sure this is what actually happened, but it doesn't make for very good cinema. I think the problem was that the director didn't want to depart much from actual events. This was confirmed to me when I watched the director's interview that accompanies the film on the new R1 disc. He holds all these real-life characters in such high esteem that he was apparently unwilling to add anything not in the record (except for sex). Well, that way, you end up with pretty lifeless characters, just principles and noble sentiments that happen to have arms and legs. I really wanted to like this film, too, but coming as it does after far superior Resistance films--Flame and Citron from Denmark, and Black Book from Holland--it appears very lackluster (in spite of the beautiful photography). Best I can do: 6/10.

I think the grenade scene was pretty silly, but why drag Tarantino's name into the discussion? There's no real comparison between this and Inglourious Basterds.

I found the "just-the-facts" approach gripping enough for me. In fairness, a 9 may be a bit hyperbolic; maybe tamp it down to an 8.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:49:28 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8778 on: January 24, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »

The Long Voyage Home - 8/10 - Slow-moving and stagey but the big dramatic moments (Ward Bond's death scene, the revelation about Ian Hunter's character, the air raid) are superbly staged, and the film's gloomy, grim atmosphere is miles removed from Ford's habitual frivolity. And that last scene is a real kick in the gut. The ensemble cast is good even if no one actor really gets to shine. Gregg Toland's photography is phenomenal. Rating generous? Sure, why not?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: January 25, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »

The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968) It is rather dull until the Sebastopol episode, with too many themes that aren't well centered. Actually, the only thing that I found well done is the charge itself. The story doesn't manage to develop well characters, some of them (namely Redgrave) are rather obtrusive. The movie aims high and misses. 5\10

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8780 on: January 25, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »

The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968) It is rather dull until the Sebastopol episode, with too many themes that aren't well centered. Actually, the only thing that I found well done is the charge itself. The story doesn't manage to develop well characters, some of them (namely Redgrave) are rather obtrusive. The movie aims high and misses. 5\10

I liked it considerably more than you, but that review is fair enough. The animation sequences are the main draw.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: January 26, 2011, 03:40:09 AM »

The Big Clock (1948) Dir John Farrow, with Ray Milland, Charles Laughton, Maureen O'Sullivan, George Macready, Rita Johnson, Harry Morgan, and Elsa Lanchester an unlikely cast for sure.  Great Noir and funny to boot. Looks like it was all shot in the studio not very many location shots 9/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: January 27, 2011, 02:50:00 AM »

The Fugitive (1993) - 7.5/10

Good actioner, but I always remember there was ''more'' in it. Perhaps I confused it with the series.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8783 on: January 27, 2011, 02:51:27 AM »

There is Tommy Lee Jones. What do you want "more"?

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: January 27, 2011, 02:51:58 AM »

There is Tommy Lee Jones. What do you want "more"?

More story.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8785 on: January 27, 2011, 02:57:05 AM »

To me, the problem of the movie is the vilain and his motivations. If he had been as cool as Tommy Lee Jones character, there would have been the "more" you're waiting for.
Another way to get that "more" would have been a better atmosphere, more film noir-like, more Three Days of the Condor-like.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: January 28, 2011, 03:53:22 AM »

To me, the problem of the movie is the vilain and his motivations. If he had been as cool as Tommy Lee Jones character, there would have been the "more" you're waiting for.
Another way to get that "more" would have been a better atmosphere, more film noir-like, more Three Days of the Condor-like.

What villain? Sykes or the bad doctor (played, to our surprise as I can imagine, by an European actor) ?

No, I thought there was enough of TLJ's character already. Shooting at an unarmed man in public (the hospital) was too much. Especially after the latter had the chance to kill him (twice), and didn't.

The problem is that the the story seems diluted too much to make the action flow better, there was a lot of details running behind in the series, if I remember correctly.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8787 on: January 28, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »

What villain? Sykes or the bad doctor (played, to our surprise as I can imagine, by an European actor) ?

No, I thought there was enough of TLJ's character already. Shooting at an unarmed man in public (the hospital) was too much. Especially after the latter had the chance to kill him (twice), and didn't.

The problem is that the the story seems diluted too much to make the action flow better, there was a lot of details running behind in the series, if I remember correctly.

The bad doctor. 0 characterization.
If you look closely (i got that only after 5 times), TLJ doesn't really try to shoot Ford. When Ford is on the ground in the hospital, his foot in the door, there is a close up on TLJ just before he shoots. And you see that he intentionally miss his shot.

www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: January 29, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »

The Seventh Victim (1943) This is bandied like a Val Lewton cult horror classic. And it might have been had it been as good as its first 20 minutes. They probably made up the story as they went shooting and found themselves not knowing how to make sense of what they had concocted at first. This is (according to some at IMDB) the first devilish-cult movie. Maybe so, but the devilish cult gang looks less menacing than an old spinsters tea club reunion. No devil is seen anywhere, no strange ceremony, no quaint dresses: just well-dressed people having discussions in an apartment. Actors are mediocre. The score can also be heard as an extra feature and it sounds better not accompanying the images.   5\10

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: January 30, 2011, 02:44:40 AM »

Crocodile Dundee (1986) - 6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4&feature=related

A classic. Objectivity aside, you can't fight both Hulk Hogan and a classic at the same time. You just can't.

Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 1169 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM